If hired who will Whissenhunt get as his O.C.? D.C.?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
If GT indeed ends up offering Whissenhunt who will he bring in to fill out his staff? Who will he put in charge of recruiting? Who are his contacts and are they currently within the college coaching network or will he be pulling others from the NFL? I also wonder what Whissenhunts time line for transition from his Charger responsibilities to assuming HC roles/duties? I also wonder what size his budget is? How or will he beef up the recruiting staff to identify targets.
What kind of "innovation" does he bring to the table as Todd S. said he was looking for as opposed to a particular system?
Honestly not picking. I am truly curious.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If we get wisenhunt. DC i'd like to see us try hard to keep woody ( though i have a feeling appstate is going ot offer him the HC gig.)

I want a 3-4 or 3-3-5 stack guy for defense. I think this fits our personnel best. allowing us to play to our ability to seemingly recruit DB's but not lineman.

As for OC, not entirely oppossed to seeing what Rich Rodriguez is up to. Wise will need help from someone who knows the college game. Rich Rod's not really doing anything and he is pretty much the originator of the modern NCAA spread.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
upload_2018-12-4_9-42-4.jpeg

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Maybe TS can talk Calvin into coming back into the fold and being a recruiter for some in home visits on our top targets. Also maybe we could scoop up Justin Fields when he announces that he's transferring from UGA post bowl game.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
OC - Philip Montgomery from Tulsa (who runs the Art Briles - Baylor Offense)
DC - Todd Graham (runs a 3-3-5 defense and is currently unemployed)

He would be smart to hire coaches who have had head coaching experience at the college level, since he has none. Matt Canada, Rich Rodriguez, etc could be other options... But he needs as many experienced coaches on his staff as he can get.

Problem is... those guys probably cost more money.

Last edited:

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Who knows. The guy has been in football forever. He could probably run any system that he needs to fit the talent we have. I'm more curious about the money that we have for coordinators. If we have to hire a Nix type coordinators then we are in trouble.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If we get wisenhunt. DC i'd like to see us try hard to keep woody ( though i have a feeling appstate is going ot offer him the HC gig.)

I want a 3-4 or 3-3-5 stack guy for defense. I think this fits our personnel best. allowing us to play to our ability to seemingly recruit DB's but not lineman.

As for OC, not entirely oppossed to seeing what Rich Rodriguez is up to. Wise will need help from someone who knows the college game. Rich Rod's not really doing anything and he is pretty much the originator of the modern NCAA spread.
Rich Rod likes to be a little hands on off the field. Lol. His mess at Arizona isn’t anything we need. Hell, GT needs to stay as far away from anything related to the state of Arizona after the Ron Bell/JP drama!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt wouldn't bring in a spread OC and just be a CEO coach. The dude calls plays for a living and we would absolutely be running a pro style offense and his OC would be an NFL guy.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Woody for another year because we owe him $600k and we aren't exactly swimming in cash. Plus he has a huge upside and I think some new position coaches will really make him shine. He has a good track record at App.

For OC maybe a young, cheap guy who can learn the ropes. Whisenhunt is a top 5OC and it is pretty much the best thing on his resume. If we hire him I want him to run the offense. It may not work here or it might, but we have to give him that shot because there is huge upside there if it does. I watched the SNF game and his pro-style is a little closer to college spread offenses than what many of y'all are thinking. We just need to incorporate plays that use the QBs legs more.

Deleted member 2897

I bet part of the reason Todd is enamored with Wisenhunt is that their long standing relationship enables Todd to get a gaurantee that Ken is going to call the plays and will keep Woody - it decreases costs and reduces complexity as opposed to starting all over with multiple new systems and having to hire a coach and an OC.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
That's more of a philosophical debate but the difference may be the QB read progressions. I'm just talking about from a personnel standpoint. He runs shotgun with 4 wide or 5 wide and stack formations, but a lot of those receivers are TEs. He had some empty sets at well and likes to use the RB as a receivers. He does use a fullback in the I at times and does have Rivers take snaps under center as well. It's a mix of things which is why the offense is so good, but it isn't the old under-center WCO type of stuff people might be thinking it is. My biggest worry is that Rivers and Warner are statues and you can't really survive in the college game without a QB who can run so I would hope he puts some plays to take advantage of that.

Edit: this was just from one game and some highlights, guys who are bigger into the NFL would probably have better insight.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Coupla NFL cronies who think they can turn 2 star recruits into draft picks and outsmart everyone else with their Xs and Os. Like Chan, after 4 or 5 seasons, they'll realize that doesn't work because CFB doesn't have a draft, and try to step up their recruiting game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That's more of a philosophical debate but the difference may be the QB read progressions. I'm just talking about from a personnel standpoint. He runs shotgun with 4 wide or 5 wide and stack formations, but a lot of those receivers are TEs. He had some empty sets at well and likes to use the RB as a receivers. He does use a fullback in the I at times and does have Rivers take snaps under center as well. It's a mix of things which is why the offense is so good, but it isn't the old under-center WCO type of stuff people might be thinking it is. My biggest worry is that Rivers and Warner are statues and you can't really survive in the college game without a QB who can run so I would hope he puts some plays to take advantage of that.

Edit: this was just from one game and some highlights, guys who are bigger into the NFL would probably have better insight.

Let's say we had 4 wide outs , Qb in gun w one rb. Depending on progression and reads don't u have different offenses w a slight formation adjustment.

If the wr are way wide and slot r are tall and fast, it's that the basic formation for air raid.??
If we bring in wr some and bunch the slots who are tight ends or possesion receivers , isnt that the Stanford/ Wisconsin offense.??
I can see
omari jarret as a slot jet sweep,
brad would have been slot possession receiver ,
camp could be a tight end,
Carter a split w r.
What if graham turned out to be a go to receiver? I heard he is athletic!

I am for the Stanford and Wisconsin set up = not so many moving parts . Need one great rb or QB plus some good blocking wr and lots of big linemen.

Last edited:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I bet part of the reason Todd is enamored with Wisenhunt is that their long standing relationship enables Todd to get a gaurantee that Ken is going to call the plays and will keep Woody - it decreases costs and reduces complexity as opposed to starting all over with multiple new systems and having to hire a coach and an OC.

If that really is the case, then Whisenhunt would be a fool to accept the job. A HC needs to be able hire whomever he wants.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
For the sake of recruiting potential, name recognition with h.s. players I would not mind having C.J. involved with the program in some capacity.