If hired who will Whissenhunt get as his O.C.? D.C.?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
What constitutes pro style offense? Where is the demarcation line between that and a spread offense? I know about the zone read but beyond that and pro teams will run the zone read too if they have a mobile QB.
Funny enough, pro offense will run more under the center. Will run a lot of bunch formation under center and spread the field in shotgun. A lot of stretch run plays. Play action passes from under center. Potentially traditional FB play for some. More tight end play than spread (though a lot of spread make big use of tight end).

Spread will have more screens and swing passes.

People can add on if I missed some things.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Funny enough, pro offense will run more under the center. Will run a lot of bunch formation under center and spread the field in shotgun. A lot of stretch run plays. Play action passes from under center. Potentially traditional FB play for some. More tight end play than spread (though a lot of spread make big use of tight end).

Spread will have more screens and swing passes.

People can add on if I missed some things.

That is one type of "pro" offense. You speak more of a west coast version.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That is one type of "pro" offense. You speak more of a west coast version.
Thanks. I was trying to be more general and didn't know I was biasing my answer. I mainly had Broncos with Manning, the current Steeler offense, and New England offense in mind when I was typing. Every team has its own differences and ways to make use of their talents (Steelers probably runs more 4 verts than other teams whereas I think GB Packers with Aaron Rodgers helped start the RPO fad). Brady and Brees take advantage of short throws to basically be their run game.

I'm up for anyone trying to explain the different main philosophies that are present right now.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I was trying to be more general and didn't know I was biasing my answer. I mainly had Broncos with Manning, the current Steeler offense, and New England offense in mind when I was typing. Every team has its own differences and ways to make use of their talents (Steelers probably runs more 4 verts than other teams whereas I think GB Packers with Aaron Rodgers helped start the RPO fad). Brady and Brees take advantage of short throws to basically be their run game.

I'm up for anyone trying to explain the different main philosophies that are present right now.

Pro offenses are definitely more subtle in their difference, i might make a post on this if we end up with wisenhunt, I prefer the college game because it use to eb more varied.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

I see a pro-style offense as being an offense that has a small number of base plays, perhaps only a dozen, and the rest of playbook is built weekly and is tailored for that week's opponent. Also, a pro-style offense generally wants to be very balanced, with equal ability to run between the tackles, outside the tackles, short passes, long passes, etc. Finally, the OC will be very focused on maintaining a balanced run/pass ratio across the array of down-and-distance combinations as well as formations. That run/pass balance desire will lead to a lot of teeth gnashing when the OC calls a pass play on the two yard line in the red zone when it is obvious to everyone in the stands that the opposing defense has no chance to stop the run.

The practical difficulty with this style of offense is that since most of the playb00k is new each week, the players need a lot of time to be able to learn it and to practice it enough to be able to execute it. At the NFL level, it's not an issue because the players have plenty of time. At the college level, practice time is restricted by NCAA regulations and at GT the players won't have as much free time to learn it on the own as they would at another school. That's not to say that it won't work - GT did something similar for a bit in the late 90's - though I think the transition pains will be more pronounced compared to using other approaches to the offense.