IF CPJ sticks around for a while, this is one of the reasons

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would. UNC was definitely more rested than we were. In the Miami game, there were two fumble sixes that probably would not have occurred if JT had had time to rest and recuperate.

UNC won by 28. A bye week doesn't account for 4 TDs.

And against miami, we already had extra time to rest and recuperate for that game than normal. Also neither of those fumbles were fatigue related at all. The first was a blindside hit on a pass play because our tackle just decided to ignore the defender. There was no juking around him because Thomas didn't even see him. Also any half step the defender may have gotten because of the bye didn't make a difference because Thomas wasn't even close to throwing the pass when he got hit. The second was a play where Thomas just lost his footing. And it's absurd to chalk that up to fatigue with a third year starter, in game five, with more time to rest than usual already.

The biggest impact of the bye weeks on those games is that it gave fans like you an excuse to stick to.

Since we've established that the rule would have changed at least 2012, 2016, and 2017, I'd say he's accomplished at least a 30% change going forward based on the data from the past decade. Much higher if you want to narrow the timeframe we're looking at to the past 5/6 years.

30% change that likely won't impact the outcome of the games based on the data from the past. It wouldn't have helped in 2012, and likely wouldn't have changed anything last year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
AD bob who had little football experience.
AD Todd played at tech.
He didn't need a detailed memo from coach of why the bye rule was needed.
If we support them, victory will naturally occur.

A question of scheduling.
We seem to schedule lessor fbs (Gsu, Tulane , ucf) and fcs (Alcon, Jack state) teams back to back and very early. I never liked it and thought we should have one before Uga. If we are doing well and need to be recoving uga and possible acc champ, a lessor opponent would be very welcome defore these two key games.

QUESTION
With new rule will the two easy games early be a better or worse for us.
Seems like moving one to mid or late in season would help?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Where did I put up an excuse? Quote from my post where I said that we WOULD have beaten UNC or Miami without their byes. Or, maybe ignore all of my statements that specifically said "I wouldn't say that it was the only reason", and just make blind comments that I put EVERY bit of the blame on scheduling. I HAVE NOT said that this is the cause of a loss. I have said that it is a factor. I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think anyone else on here is saying that it is the only factor in those losses. You seem to be saying that it has ZERO effect. That is completely wrong. It undeniably does have SOME effect.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Where did I put up an excuse?

When I asked "But do you want to try and argue that it was the bye week that made those teams win lol?" you replied "I would."

Logically, if you think that the bye week is the reason those teams won, then you would also believe that we would have beaten them without the bye week.

Also, I'm not saying it had zero effect on the games. I'm saying it didn't change the outcomes of those games, and overall this problem that people bring up every single year isn't a big deal, and that this solution that people are praising doesn't change much. At most it would have accounted for 1 more win over the past 9 years, and even that is unlikely. What this does mean is that now we'll see more ACC teams have byes before OOC games, meaning more week 2 and 3 byes and more byes before the last game for those teams who face OOC rivals during rivalry week. But of course, we all know that GT fans wouldn't complain in the situation we were forced to go through the entire ACC schedule without a bye. /sarcasm.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
While this move is obviously good for us And the ACC I am curious -

At one time the ACC was using a computer scheduling model design by GT (Sangster?). I don't know if this was still being used.

Also, I would need to research it, but I wonder if the games we have lost to teams coming off a bye week was due , not to them stopping our O, but because we have not built the type of D we need to stop them?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Something that just occurred to me. If coaches were really that worried about our cut blocks injuring their players, wouldn't they schedule their bye week for the week after we play them instead of before?

Coaches mostly complain about the cut blocking to get an edge from the refs. Also because they know most of their fan bases are too dumb to realize that cut /= chop, and they don't want to have to explain that it's just a basic football concept and has statistically shown to be no more dangerous (if there was evidence we were injuring an excessive amount of defenders with our techniques, you can be damn sure one of our rivals would have brought it forward at some point).
Edit: On this schedule issue, it's a minor point in the grand scheme of things, but it's a question of balance. How can anyone complain that the ACC is going to have to make sure scheduling is fair going forward? Even if it's just a tiny impact, it's still forcing the league office to look at it and make sure it's all on the level. There is a reason the vote to change it was unanimous.

Last edited:

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
If the NCAA proposal for a permanent 14-week season (aka 2 bye weeks every year) goes through, this will probably need to be amended. Maybe add a clause that mutual byes don't count or something.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the NCAA proposal for a permanent 14-week season (aka 2 bye weeks every year) goes through, this will probably need to be amended. Maybe add a clause that mutual byes don't count or something.

I haven't seen the exact language of the rule, but according to reports it: "will limit each team to playing one conference game per season in which it plays the previous week but its opponent has an open date." Based on that description a mutual bye week will not count when the rule goes into effect.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I said extra time. The thursday games force one team to have more time than the other in the following game. Either we get 9 to their 7 or they get 14 to our 9. That was why I said "The bigger issue is playing on Thursdays because it basically guarantees a situation where one team has more time than the other the following week".
But, the extra 2 days does not allow for a whole week of recuperation and preparation for the next opponent who has to prepare for another game (assuming an FBS opponent). That is THE Reason for the new rule. The inequality was recognized by every AD in the conference!

AD bob who had little football experience.
AD Todd played at tech.
He didn't need a detailed memo from coach of why the bye rule was needed.
If we support them, victory will naturally occur.

A question of scheduling.
We seem to schedule lessor fbs (Gsu, Tulane , ucf) and fcs (Alcon, Jack state) teams back to back and very early. I never liked it and thought we should have one before Uga. If we are doing well and need to be recoving uga and possible acc champ, a lessor opponent would be very welcome defore these two key games.

QUESTION
With new rule will the two easy games early be a better or worse for us.
Seems like moving one to mid or late in season would help?
I think easier teams to start the season helps the triple option to develop timing. But having fall camp, then two cupcakes to start may create problems of getting emotionally "up" for the games. Dodd once said that the coaches could only get a team up for 2, or maybe 3 games a season. The rest was up to the players themselves. We certainly will get to see if having a Tennessee to start the season is good or bad.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: The college football coaches with total job security
You’ll Have To Leave For Things To Ever Change

Kyle Whittingham, Utah
Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech

This is a bit of a catch-all category. But each of these coaches has been at his respective school since at least 2008, and each of them has found a consistent level of success in that period. For Whittingham, that’s meant undefeated seasons and a smooth transition into the Pac-12. For Fitzgerald, it’s meant helping his alma mater become a winner and a occasional threat in the Big Ten. For Johnson, it’s meant making Georgia Tech consistently successful with his unique triple-option style, even if he's been at odds with his administration. Whittingham signed a contract extension this summer through 2021, Johnson’s contract runs through 2020 and Fitzgerald signed a massive 10-year extension in April. Now that’s job security.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's job security is definitely more stable under Stansbury than it was under Bobinski. Bobinski pretty much said CPJ was on notice without saying it, and that contract debacle tells you everything you need to know about what MBob thought of CPJ. CPJ having a good 2014 and beating UGA probably hastened MBob out the door knowing that CPJ had more political capital than he did. There was no love loss when MBob bolted for Purdue.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
They don't. It's called having a persecution complex. This year we have one game where the opponent has extra time and we don't. That is Clemson. And you think Clemosn choose that instead of before @Vt coming off of games vs Aub, @ UL, and vs BC? Or before playing FSU? Or what, that wake would rather want extra time for GT, and not extra time for @Clemson after playing FSU? Think VT is happy about playing literally every coastal team back to back with no extra time for any but the first? Think UNC is happy about playing Duke, @GT, ND, UVA, @VT, and Miami back to back with getting no breaks while having extra time for WCU? UL has their bye week before UVA and their other extra time comes before BC. FSU has a bye before Duke. People will find new things to claim the conference is after us.

The bigger issue is playing on Thursdays because it basically guarantees a situation where one team has more time than the other the following week, and also pretty much locks in the bye week because it's either that or playing on 5 days rest.

Anything that is unfortunate to the well being of UNC can be rationalized by the simple expedient that they got it coming.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's job security is definitely more stable under Stansbury than it was under Bobinski. Bobinski pretty much said CPJ was on notice without saying it, and that contract debacle tells you everything you need to know about what MBob thought of CPJ. CPJ having a good 2014 and beating UGA probably hastened MBob out the door knowing that CPJ had more political capital than he did. There was no love loss when MBob bolted for Purdue.

CPJ was never in jeopardy due to the financial situation we were in. We knew we were going to fire gregory when we hired MBob and his history of good BBall hires is what got him the job. We weren't going to fire both coaches on top of what we were already paying out. Mbob hired Pastner April and was gone 4 months later. I really doubt either side was looking at this as a long term thing. And to his credit, the guy he hired was hired on a GT friendly contract and won ACC coach of the year in his first year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

his graduation rate almost guarantees him a job under stansbury alone as long as he wins more than he loses. however.,... we are already seeing some changes that we needed badly to compete at a higher level.

1. like it or not the kids like to style and profile these days so our dropping russelll is yuge especially with the high profile recruits.
2. unless im mistaken we are redoing the locker rooms?
3. we have a former techie that is in charge of branding the nfl on campus. no doubt to help us improve our branding.
4. arent we supposed to be increasing our football support staff beyond the no 4? hard to compete with the big boys outnumbered 20+ t0 4.

do they have training classes for all the coaches on how they want to present gt to the public? so all the coaches are on the same page?

im really likeing what our new ad is doing.

go jackets

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

For those who don't want to give this clicks, here's the depth of the analysis:
2. Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech: Johnson is 70-48 as a head coach at Tech coming off a 9-4 season, but some still think it’s time for a change after his 3-9 campaign in 2015.