GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
My matchups for tonight:

Korean Buffalo wings VS Pappa Johns Pizza
Scoffalow Double Jeopardy IPA vs Angels Envy Bourbon
Couch VS Pacing around the living room
Ranch VS Blue Cheese
Gym VS Skip the Gym

4 is dependent upon 1 and the answer is wings and bleu cheese. Have a nice day.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
4 is dependent upon 1 and the answer is wings and bleu cheese. Have a nice day.

I will have all the choices above available for myself and guests tonight. That is just the internal battle of which will take up the most space in my belly by the end of the night...minus the pacing and gym part obviously...:)

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
My matchups for tonight:

Ranch VS Blue Cheese
Gym VS Skip the Gym

Pizza
Bourbon (Scofflaw isn't even good! Go down the road and hit up ABC for quality, but High Life is the beer of choice while watching the asswagons)
Pacing
Neither, honey mustard or BBQ sauce if you have wings
Gym

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pizza
Bourbon (Scofflaw isn't even good! Go down the road and hit up ABC for quality, but High Life is the beer of choice while watching the asswagons)
Pacing
Neither, honey mustard or BBQ sauce if you have wings
Gym

Double Jeopardy is REALLY good...in fact, might be my favorite IPA. It's really smooth and not hoppy like IPAs tend to be. Helps that it's 10% alcohol...ahem. But I agree, everything else from Scofflaw is not very good.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My matchups for tonight:

Ranch VS Blue Cheese
Gym VS Skip the Gym

My answer for each question would probably be, "Both." Well, except the last.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The time is here. 2019 GT and the Coach Collins era is here!!! I want to focus on 5 big matchups in the game to keep an eye on which could be pivotal in the matchup vs. Clemson

#1 Zach Quinney vs. Xavier Thomas

Straight out the gate, Quinney will be tested by arguably the best pass rusher in the nation. Though elite, Thomas do have his flaws in wanting to be a pass rusher only and not willing to set the edge or be physical on the run. Let’s see if Quinney can use his athleticism and cause issues for that side on the zone/stretch run game

#2 Dave Patenaude vs. Brent Venerables

Having the option figured out is an ignorant statement that Tech fans loathed, but their has been no better DC at stopping the vaunted TO than Venerables, but out with the old and enter Coach P’s Pro-Style, Spread Offense. The unknown of what we’ll see on our offense is good and scary at the same time. I expect multiple looks and personnel groupings to give Clemson 9 new starters on Defense something to think about and create favorable matchups. It will be interesting to see if Venerables/Clemson will try to out muscle us sitting in coverage and make our QBs read coverage and deliver the ball to the correct receiver or will send the dogs after us.

#3 Tre Swilling vs. Justyn Ross

Nothing better than seeing 2 NFL caliber players going at it. Ross got loose on us with some blown coverages last year. With better coaching (imo), and tighter coverage this should be a heavyweight battle. Let’s see if Tre can limit him on the big plays and make few plays on the ball himself.

#4 Trevor Lawrence vs. the Minister of Mayhem

Arguably the best QB in the last 20-30yrs. Lawrence checks every box you would want in a QB and more. Lucky for us, we have an elite defensive mind in Collins and Thacker has proven, somewhat, he can hold his own. Can this duo put our defense in position to make this game close in 4th and make Lawrence comfortable. I expect to see multiple sets from our base 4-2-5, 3-3-5, to dollar/ dime where we be blitzing all different angles.

#5 Old vs. New

This will be interesting. How will fans react when we punt on 4th & 2 or pass outta gun on 3rd & 3? How patient and forgiving will the GT faithful be seeing things not how they use to be? Let’s make sure we are loud and proud win, lose, or draw to guys in white & gold (& navy lol)

Back to this:

My key is our front 7 vs their OL. If we can't create pressure vs Lawrence, we are in for a LONG night. They've got 2 NFL caliber WRs, 2 NFL RBs, and a generational talent at QB. If we can't make Lawrence uncomfortable, he's going to carve us up. Our front 7 has to find a way to create pressure, or disguise looks to confuse the offense.

I think playing man-to-man on the outside is going to help a bit because we're not letting those WRs run free...which is a problem with that kind of talent catching and throwing the ball. Giving Lawrence pause because our DBs are now on them from the snap gives our guys up front a bit more time. It's imperative that we create pressure somehow. If we can level Lawrence a few times, even if it's not a sack, he might be playing with an accelerated clock in his head.

Sucks we have to play Clemson first, but if you're going to play them, play them before the offense gets on a roll.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One number that I worry about is 327 vs 280.That is their Oline avg weight vs our front DL 4 avg. It is scary if it were S.Fla but with it being the Nat Champs, it REALLY is scary.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
I think 5 is important. But do you think this is a game you go for anything 3 yards and under on 4th down? Kind of a know you have to roll the dice to beat them kind of thing?

I think CGC is big on analytics. He probably uses a statistics based cheat sheet to decide when to go for it. There are companies out there like Championship Analytics that provide that kind of thing.

Deleted member 2897

RE:Justyn Ross and some blown coverages...I loved Malik (and the Austin twins back in the day, and so on and so on), but he/they were too short (and slow in Malik's case) when compared to the rest of our secondary. Check out our current roster:
6'4"...Kaleb Oliver
6'3"...Juanyeh Thomas
6'3"...Zamari Walton
6'3"...Myles Sims
6'2"...Tariq Carpenter
6'2"...Christian Campbell
6'0"...Tre Swilling

Those guys were 5'9". We've got a full SIX INCHES on them.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
RE:Justyn Ross and some blown coverages...I loved Malik (and the Austin twins back in the day, and so on and so on), but he/they were too short (and slow in Malik's case) when compared to the rest of our secondary. Check out our current roster:
6'4"...Kaleb Oliver
6'3"...Juanyeh Thomas
6'3"...Zamari Walton
6'3"...Myles Sims
6'2"...Tariq Carpenter
6'2"...Christian Campbell
6'0"...Tre Swilling

Those guys were 5'9". We've got a full SIX INCHES on them.
By all accounts that's biGTime

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One number that I worry about is 327 vs 280.That is their Oline avg weight vs our front DL 4 avg. It is scary if it were S.Fla but with it being the Nat Champs, it REALLY is scary.

OL weight vs, DL weight is not always a good indicator of domination by the heavier unit. If you have good coaching/schemes and fast players you can run around them fat boys all night long- think Tenuta 2003 GT vs. AU, all i heard that week was how AU was going to crush our undersized DL with their huge line and let Cadillac and Ronny Brown run wild on us, we stuffed them all night. Unfortunately, i don’t see Eric Henderson, Gerris Wilkerson, Joe Anoia, Darryl Smith etc running out of the tunnel for us tonight. Anyway, Hopefully tonight gives a peek at the start of a new era and brand of aggressive Def football at GT reminiscent of that night.