IBB 5 Matchups to watch

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The time is here. 2019 GT and the Coach Collins era is here!!! I want to focus on 5 big matchups in the game to keep an eye on which could be pivotal in the matchup vs. Clemson

#1 Zach Quinney vs. Xavier Thomas

Straight out the gate, Quinney will be tested by arguably the best pass rusher in the nation. Though elite, Thomas do have his flaws in wanting to be a pass rusher only and not willing to set the edge or be physical on the run. Let’s see if Quinney can use his athleticism and cause issues for that side on the zone/stretch run game

#2 Dave Patenaude vs. Brent Venerables

Having the option figured out is an ignorant statement that Tech fans loathed, but their has been no better DC at stopping the vaunted TO than Venerables, but out with the old and enter Coach P’s Pro-Style, Spread Offense. The unknown of what we’ll see on our offense is good and scary at the same time. I expect multiple looks and personnel groupings to give Clemson 9 new starters on Defense something to think about and create favorable matchups. It will be interesting to see if Venerables/Clemson will try to out muscle us sitting in coverage and make our QBs read coverage and deliver the ball to the correct receiver or will send the dogs after us.

#3 Tre Swilling vs. Justyn Ross

Nothing better than seeing 2 NFL caliber players going at it. Ross got loose on us with some blown coverages last year. With better coaching (imo), and tighter coverage this should be a heavyweight battle. Let’s see if Tre can limit him on the big plays and make few plays on the ball himself.

#4 Trevor Lawrence vs. the Minister of Mayhem

Arguably the best QB in the last 20-30yrs. Lawrence checks every box you would want in a QB and more. Lucky for us, we have an elite defensive mind in Collins and Thacker has proven, somewhat, he can hold his own. Can this duo put our defense in position to make this game close in 4th and make Lawrence comfortable. I expect to see multiple sets from our base 4-2-5, 3-3-5, to dollar/ dime where we be blitzing all different angles.

#5 Old vs. New

This will be interesting. How will fans react when we punt on 4th & 2 or pass outta gun on 3rd & 3? How patient and forgiving will the GT faithful be seeing things not how they use to be? Let’s make sure we are loud and proud win, lose, or draw to guys in white & gold (& navy lol)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The time is here. 2019 GT and the Coach Collins era is here!!! I want to focus on 5 big matchups in the game to keep an eye on which could be pivotal in the matchup vs. Clemson

#1 Zach Quinney vs. Xavier Thomas

Straight out the gate, Quinney will be tested by arguably the best pass rusher in the nation. Though elite, Thomas do have his flaws in wanting to be a pass rusher only and not willing to set the edge or be physical on the run. Let’s see if Quinney can use his athleticism and cause issues for that side on the zone/stretch run game

#2 Dave Patenaude vs. Brent Venerables

Having the option figured out is an ignorant statement that Tech fans loathed, but their has been no better DC at stopping the vaunted TO than Venerables, but out with the old and enter Coach P’s Pro-Style, Spread Offense. The unknown of what we’ll see on our offense is good and scary at the same time. I expect multiple looks and personnel groupings to give Clemson 9 new starters on Defense something to think about and create favorable matchups. It will be interesting to see if Venerables/Clemson will try to out muscle us sitting in coverage and make our QBs read coverage and deliver the ball to the correct receiver or will send the dogs after us.

#3 Tre Swilling vs. Justyn Ross

Nothing better than seeing 2 NFL caliber players going at it. Ross got loose on us with some blown coverages last year. With better coaching (imo), and tighter coverage this should be a heavyweight battle. Let’s see if Tre can limit him on the big plays and make few plays on the ball himself.

#4 Trevor Lawrence vs. the Minister of Mayhem

Arguably the best QB in the last 20-30yrs. Lawrence checks every box you would want in a QB and more. Lucky for us, we have an elite defensive mind in Collins and Thacker has proven, somewhat, he can hold his own. Can this duo put our defense in position to make this game close in 4th and make Lawrence comfortable. I expect to see multiple sets from our base 4-2-5, 3-3-5, to dollar/ dime where we be blitzing all different angles.

#5 Old vs. New

This will be interesting. How will fans react when we punt on 4th & 2 or pass outta gun on 3rd & 3? How patient and forgiving will the GT faithful be seeing things not how they use to be? Let’s make sure we are loud and proud win, lose, or draw to guys in white & gold (& navy lol)

I think 5 is important. But do you think this is a game you go for anything 3 yards and under on 4th down? Kind of a know you have to roll the dice to beat them kind of thing?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Is Tre Swilling a legitimate NFL prospect at this stage? I know he’s young and I like him (and I think he will get a chance at the next level) I’m just not sure he’s there yet.

Ross is a surefire 1st round pick. Tre could do a lot for his career by putting out some great film tomorrow.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
#2 I expect to see lots of pressure kinda like the Florida Miami game. I would expect Venebles to come after whoever the new QB is and try and force mistakes.

I doubt they bring tons of pressure. Our QB is going to try to get it out quick anyway to the perimeter, and Clemson shouldn't have a problem disrupting with their front 4.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be interested to see whether we focus on matchups at CB or whether we have field/boundary corners. And all their receivers are pretty top notch with high level arm talent throwing to them. I'm also interested to see Walton with a year under his belt. I think he was a steal last year.

I get the feeling Clemson is going to overload on rushing the passer and hope for the best on the back end. Our QBs are going to have to make good pre-snap reads and get the ball out quick.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Tre Swilling a legitimate NFL prospect at this stage? I know he’s young and I like him (and I think he will get a chance at the next level) I’m just not sure he’s there yet.

Ross is a surefire 1st round pick. Tre could do a lot for his career by putting out some great film tomorrow.

I thought Tee Higgins was their best WR, not Ross? Or maybe they are both great; but thought Higgins was the #1 guy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great points of focus. We have our hands full in all of them. This could be a breakout game for Tre and the rest of our secondary.

I’m also extremely interested in who performs and how at LB. I’ve always thought that was a position a young gun could come in and have immediate impact for us. It has been a very long time since we’ve had an underclassman make a big impact for us there however.

Seeing what CGC and Thacker do with the D is the most exciting and intriguing thing to me this year.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Great points of focus. We have our hands full in all of them. This could be a breakout game for Tre and the rest of our secondary.

I’m also extremely interested in who performs and how at LB. I’ve always thought that was a position a young gun could come in and have immediate impact for us. It has been a very long time since we’ve had an underclassman make a big impact for us there however.

Seeing what CGC and Thacker do with the D is the most exciting and intriguing thing to me this year.

I've said this for a month. Demetrius Knight may make a name for himself tomorrow night. I think he has a Calvin Johnson type night on defense. An INT, 1 or 2 sacks, and about 10 tackles

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Speaking of Clemson's wideouts/receivers, it is nice to see Hunter Renfro off the roster. It seemed like he was on their squad for the last 8 years or so.I know Bama fans will appreciate him being gone. He always seemed to light them up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I thought Tee Higgins was their best WR, not Ross? Or maybe they are both great; but thought Higgins was the #1 guy.
Ross made some spectacular catches against Bama that looked like Calvin Johnson stuff. He made Lawrence look better than the throws at times.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think 5 is important. But do you think this is a game you go for anything 3 yards and under on 4th down? Kind of a know you have to roll the dice to beat them kind of thing?

I think it's dependent on game scenario. 4th & 2 on our 35, 1st qtr down 3-0? Punt. Same down and distance, 4th qtr down 24? Go for it.

This game needs to be a good test of all 3 phases of our game and it should be. Just having a new routine for Punt Team (etc etc) and having gametime experience to roll thru your assignments and getting asses onto the field in time for the next play is crucial for us, being in Year 1 of a new system across the board. "Canada" and "Cuba" will be yelled alot tonight (that's what Coach Collins was yelling at the 'secret' HS practice a few years ago. Directional stuff for the guys to know where to go.), along with other more-colorful expletives. From what I saw at Pope HS, it's a total revamp.

Let's get this one under our belts with no injuries and then win the next 3.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I worry about number 2. As far as number 5 it depends on how the game is going. There were times I didn't want to go for it on 4th . I know some have a problem seeing the QB in 3th and 3 in shotgun formation but I'm fine with it. And for number 4 if he is the best with that OL not much you can do. The hope here is it's the first game of the year and maybe he is a little rusty