I was wrong

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I still think getting rid of CPH had to be done, but I was wrong on one thing. I really thought we could not get worse.

I blamed apathetic arrogance for cph, but blame clueless ignorance for cbg. I really think he's doing the best he can. I was angry with cph, but now I'm angry with drad. I don't blame cbg for being out of his depth.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You weren't wrong. As a program we aren't worse. We jsut recruit worse. I don't care if you are 14-16 or 16-17, you aren't going to the dance. We are graduating kids and we aren't losing 80-39. We just need to spend the money and take th next step.
I think what is happening is that kids see this regime as being temporary. Unless you can recruit, you cannot win in college hoops today. Transient regimes cannot recruit.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Clueless one #1 could recruit. We could always have hired an assistant coach to make game decisions and teach fundamental skills like inbounding the ball.

Clueless one #2 seems to be able to do neither but now having seen this team up close I'm leaning towards his inability to recruit being the greatest weakness. I think he could be a 20 win max coach with a couple of solid players.

I was shocked watching in person how poor things like FT shooting mechanics are. This is just one example.

I say we keep him unless we're committed to competing at a high level. I'm not convinced "lazyAD" and those above really give a crap.

conyersmike

Georgia Tech Fan
I keep going back to the article that I read about Gregory when we first hired him from Dayton that he had talented players but never "coached up" or developed them, so true. The 4 th season and I have yet to see any players that have really mproved their skills under his direction.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I keep going back to the article that I read about Gregory when we first hired him from Dayton that he had talented players but never "coached up" or developed them, so true. The 4 th season and I have yet to see any players that have really mproved their skills under his direction.

Daniel Miller is the big exception. He continually improved each year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd rather have Gregory over Hewitt right now for the simple reason that we can get out and we have no big negatives that will keep coaches from considering us.

With Hewitt we had the huge buyout that basically made it impossible (especially when you added in Gailey's buyout) of being able to offer any sort of competitve salary.
We also had the issue that academics fell greatly in the 2nd half of Hewitt's regime. To the point where GT had lost 2 scholarships and was one bad semester away from losing more scholarships and being banned from post season play. You can't attract much with that hanging over you.

With Gregory - you can see a team that with good coaching can win right away. You also have no restrictions from an academic standpoint (or from a GT standpoint - money) to stand in your way.

We had to bite the bullet on Hewitt at some point to get out from the contract. Hiring assts wasn't going to make much of a difference at the end. DRad forced him to hire an asst his last year and it didn't matter. At that point Hewitt had become too insular and simply wasn't listening to anybody.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We got exactly what we should have known we would get. CBG coaches very similarly to Izzo, but doesn't recruit basically at all from our recruiting results. I don't think he's an awful coach, but his offense is non existent, and we don't have the talent to compete by trying to play defense and out rebound other teams. If we want to compete we have to pay a coach really good money that can recruit. If we don't want to pay for a coach we probably won't win very much.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'd rather have Gregory over Hewitt right now for the simple reason that we can get out and we have no big negatives that will keep coaches from considering us.

With Hewitt we had the huge buyout that basically made it impossible (especially when you added in Gailey's buyout) of being able to offer any sort of competitve salary.
We also had the issue that academics fell greatly in the 2nd half of Hewitt's regime. To the point where GT had lost 2 scholarships and was one bad semester away from losing more scholarships and being banned from post season play. You can't attract much with that hanging over you.

With Gregory - you can see a team that with good coaching can win right away. You also have no restrictions from an academic standpoint (or from a GT standpoint - money) to stand in your way.

We had to bite the bullet on Hewitt at some point to get out from the contract. Hiring assts wasn't going to make much of a difference at the end. DRad forced him to hire an asst his last year and it didn't matter. At that point Hewitt had become too insular and simply wasn't listening to anybody.

The most important position at the GTAA is not the football coach or the basketball coach. It's the AD.

Braine was an awful AD, hired because his wife and Clough's wife were friends, and we are still suffering for it. Homer Rice took arguably the worst program in Div. 1-A, and in 10 years or so, we had a football NC, a Final Four team and we were national contenders in baseball and golf. There were some ebbs and flows from there, as all programs go through, but overall, he did an amazing job considering what he inherited. In my opinion, he is the most important figure in GT sports history.

Most importantly, Rice was a fundraiser, and the program was on solid financial footing when he left. Braine came in and wasted money like a drunken sailor--- and he was not a fundraiser. Hewitt then got lucky for a year. Braine (and his buddy Clough) gave Hewitt the dumbest contract ever.

Gregory was the best we could afford due to Braine's mismanagement. We all hoped it would work, but it hasn't. This may be Bobinski's first significant hire, and it will be interesting to watch. So far, Bobinski has done nothing to leave his mark--although I do know contributors he has alienated. Let's hope the mark he leaves is positive one.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Daniel Miller is the big exception. He continually improved each year.
That would be the 1 and only player who had any improvement watsoever, but who knows if that was just Daniel working hard and gaining confidence? I'd lean more towards that since nobody else has shown that same improvement. Not a single other player. Gotta recruit better and then when they get here.. be able to teach them things to make them better

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't buy that our problem is current talent (recruiting worse). These guys have played with some of the best teams in Basketball, like ND and Duke. We're just getting out-coached.
I agree with this. From a talent standpoint, this team is better than I expected. BG has done a good job melding their diverse personalities into a team that seems to care about one another on the floor. It's impossible to know how they are off the floor, but the team chemistry seems good. That said, BG is a terrible game coach and his offensive scheme is worse still. I do wish we had one player who was a dependable shooter from beyond 15 feet.