I’m the definition of F*** around and find out.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 13299So today I had a half day of high school for the PSAT. I went on a training run (I’m in cross country) on techs campus, and I SNUCK INTO THE STADIUM! Weirdly enough it was gate 9, the gate I enter gameday. I went on a walking journey through the place!

• Walked on the field. Got pics at midfield, found a random players glove just lying out on the turf. Took it home with me.
  • Walked under all the stands, saw the OG west stands, saw the weight room under the south stands. They already had signs prepping for the Virginia game.
  • Didn’t have time to go into edge building although I wanted to. But I was able to enter Coach Key’s office suite, he wasn’t in there so I just took a photo, left him a positive note on how good he was doing, and left.
  • All the staff who were there (grounds keepers, equipment, etc) who saw me were kind and understanding, I asked if I could take photos and roam and they were cool with it!
Being the only fan in the building was really surreal and cool. I haven’t been on the field since I rushed it back after the 2015 FSU game! Definitely an experience I’ll remember forever! Can’t wait to see the place rocking in a little over a week!
View attachment 13300
you know key has a Stingtalk account.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
You've seen the indoor/outdoor carpet used in boats and the occasional sunroom? That was 1970's turf. It was thin and was laid right over asphalt or concrete. Today's stuff has padding under it, has rubber crumb (or cork, or...) infill, and is softer than a traditional sod field.

In the interim, the worst was the turf at the SAC fields in the mid-80's. They used mason's sand as ballast on the turf. The difference between mason's sand and river sand is that mason's sand has sharp edges, whereas river sand has rounded, polished edges. Take a dive on the old SAC fields and it was like someone hit you with a belt sander... Truly awful. It only took one dive on that stuff to make you either dress differently or to never dive for a ball. Oh, and a ball would roll forever on that stuff. With no fences, what might have been a double that went to the fence in on a regular field rolled and rolled and rolled. Automatic HR.
SAC fields in late 80’s were what I imagine when you’d hear people talk about playing on the turf at Veterans stadium. One flag football game and my knees would burn.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, and during Ice-mageddon in the early 80's we went onto the field to have a huge snow/ice-ball fight while slipping and sliding all over that thinly covered concrete!

We brought mixed drinks in blenders over from Techwood and had a helluva'n icy football game in a winter storm that hit in January '88. Slid all over the place and had a blast.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just remembered that we used the rim of the stadium to do a sextant navigation readings for Navy ROTC. Supposed to be in a certain place and use a correction factor to show where you were.

Of course, it never worked for me so I took the right location and back calculated. GT teaches important things like working backwards to get out.

Never had to use a sextant for real fortunately.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The SAC field turf would scrap off the skin and then the sharp particles of sand would just embed themselves in your flesh. Truly awful and you only did it once. After that it was sweat pants and long-sleeved shirts or never leave your feet.
Yep! Even in the Summer heat that's how you had to dress if you didn't want to get skinned up. Some even added elbow and knee pads too!

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
You've seen the indoor/outdoor carpet used in boats and the occasional sunroom? That was 1970's turf. It was thin and was laid right over asphalt or concrete. Today's stuff has padding under it, has rubber crumb (or cork, or...) infill, and is softer than a traditional sod field.

In the interim, the worst was the turf at the SAC fields in the mid-80's. They used mason's sand as ballast on the turf. The difference between mason's sand and river sand is that mason's sand has sharp edges, whereas river sand has rounded, polished edges. Take a dive on the old SAC fields and it was like someone hit you with a belt sander... Truly awful. It only took one dive on that stuff to make you either dress differently or to never dive for a ball. Oh, and a ball would roll forever on that stuff. With no fences, what might have been a double that went to the fence in on a regular field rolled and rolled and rolled. Automatic HR.
Grant field was incredibly soft in the late 90’s. It was like running on a cloud. We had to practice at the Georgia Dome when it was rainy. It was concrete, metal plates, covered with thin turf. Burned to fall on it and hell on the knees.