I’m the definition of F*** around and find out.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I like how you documented a crime and made the case for the DA. LOL...kidding.

When I was at GT (I dormed at Smith), we use to play night football at BDS. Don't know if BDS is still open at night for the general public, but I hope it is. LOTS of memories of BDS for me outside of just gamedays.
That's awesome! Also, I know some guys in the GTAA, I texted them the photos and they say it's okay. They'd rather me not go into Key's office, but they said I'll be fine as long as I don't break stuff or vandalize anything.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's awesome! Also, I know some guys in the GTAA, I texted them the photos and they say it's okay. They'd rather me not go into Key's office, but they said I'll be fine as long as I don't break stuff or vandalize anything.

Missed opportunity to sit in Key's desk, take a selfie, and put out on social media that you're the new HC of GT. Fail!

LOL...in all seriousness, that's really cool. Definitely an experience you'll always remember.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When I was at GT (I dormed at Smith), we use to play night football at BDS. Don't know if BDS is still open at night for the general public, but I hope it is. LOTS of memories of BDS for me outside of just gamedays.
When I was there (82-87) they threw us out time and time again for playing after hours frisbee and football. Also for tossing boomerangs in the dark. Catching a boomerang by listening to the sound it makes is quite a trick, by the way. I almost did it once.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When I was there (82-87) they threw us out time and time again for playing after hours frisbee and football. Also for tossing boomerangs in the dark. Catching a boomerang by listening to the sound it makes is quite a trick, by the way. I almost did it once.

I was there late 90's early 2000's. It was never a big "game"...usually more like 2v2 or a small group less than 7. Almost always after eating at the dining hall. Definitely had GT employees walk by and smile at us.

Several times I swear we saw Friedgen (big guy with a silhouette like Fridge's) standing in the tunnel with a player or coach watching with him. I think he was scouting me... :)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13299So today I had a half day of high school for the PSAT. I went on a training run (I’m in cross country) on techs campus, and I SNUCK INTO THE STADIUM! Weirdly enough it was gate 9, the gate I enter gameday. I went on a walking journey through the place!

• Walked on the field. Got pics at midfield, found a random players glove just lying out on the turf. Took it home with me.
  • Walked under all the stands, saw the OG west stands, saw the weight room under the south stands. They already had signs prepping for the Virginia game.
  • Didn’t have time to go into edge building although I wanted to. But I was able to enter Coach Key’s office suite, he wasn’t in there so I just took a photo, left him a positive note on how good he was doing, and left.
  • All the staff who were there (grounds keepers, equipment, etc) who saw me were kind and understanding, I asked if I could take photos and roam and they were cool with it!
Being the only fan in the building was really surreal and cool. I haven’t been on the field since I rushed it back after the 2015 FSU game! Definitely an experience I’ll remember forever! Can’t wait to see the place rocking in a little over a week!
View attachment 13300
Love it. When I was at Tech, we used to run the quarter mile at Grant Field. Buddy Fowlkes was the track coach (and part-time Atlanta councilman). Many of my frat brothers would run stairs at the field. In Spring, we used to visit "Grant Beach" where folks would lay out catching rays. Good times.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Catching one can hurt like **** if to early.

Can remember doing that too.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Man I wasn’t alive for astroturf in all but based on the photos of what that turf looked like that sounds like it hurts.
You've seen the indoor/outdoor carpet used in boats and the occasional sunroom? That was 1970's turf. It was thin and was laid right over asphalt or concrete. Today's stuff has padding under it, has rubber crumb (or cork, or...) infill, and is softer than a traditional sod field.

In the interim, the worst was the turf at the SAC fields in the mid-80's. They used mason's sand as ballast on the turf. The difference between mason's sand and river sand is that mason's sand has sharp edges, whereas river sand has rounded, polished edges. Take a dive on the old SAC fields and it was like someone hit you with a belt sander... Truly awful. It only took one dive on that stuff to make you either dress differently or to never dive for a ball. Oh, and a ball would roll forever on that stuff. With no fences, what might have been a double that went to the fence in on a regular field rolled and rolled and rolled. Automatic HR.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not track class - aerobics. Three mandatory PE classes back then, aerobics, drown proofing and gymnastics. Spring semester Grant Field became Grant Beach every Friday afternoon.

My three mandatory PE classes in 1962 were track, gym, and drown proofing. Our track class was on the SW endzone corner of Grant field at 1 PM in June...on real grass. We did our short distant running going up the west sideline toward the north stands on grass and our distant running on the track (the track ran curvature under the north stands at that time). Wonderful memories!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Went to Tech from 1994-1999. The stadium was always open then. Even when I went in 2003 during the week, the stadium was open... not sure what year they closed it tho...

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
My PE classes in 1970 & 1971, were gym, track, drownproofing, soccer, & basketball…(not sure of #6!??! football???) I liked PE! I think they were my only A‘s in my freshman & sophomore years!
(Newer Tech folks do not really comprehend that we were literally trying to survive and not flunk out!) Also, we used slide rules! Only rich kids had hand calculators!
Intramural soccer championship matches were played on Grant Field….

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
In the interim, the worst was the turf at the SAC fields in the mid-80's. They used mason's sand as ballast on the turf. The difference between mason's sand and river sand is that mason's sand has sharp edges, whereas river sand has rounded, polished edges. Take a dive on the old SAC fields and it was like someone hit you with a belt sander... Truly awful. It only took one dive on that stuff to make you either dress differently or to never dive for a ball. Oh, and a ball would roll forever on that stuff. With no fences, what might have been a double that went to the fence in on a regular field rolled and rolled and rolled. Automatic HR.
The SAC field turf would scrap off the skin and then the sharp particles of sand would just embed themselves in your flesh. Truly awful and you only did it once. After that it was sweat pants and long-sleeved shirts or never leave your feet.