I’m the definition of F*** around and find out.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
D6B5C5B1-BC7F-40A7-A138-32DBACE600AD.jpeg
So today I had a half day of high school for the PSAT. I went on a training run (I’m in cross country) on techs campus, and I SNUCK INTO THE STADIUM! Weirdly enough it was gate 9, the gate I enter gameday. I went on a walking journey through the place!

• Walked on the field. Got pics at midfield, found a random players glove just lying out on the turf. Took it home with me.
  • Walked under all the stands, saw the OG west stands, saw the weight room under the south stands. They already had signs prepping for the Virginia game.
  • Didn’t have time to go into edge building although I wanted to. But I was able to enter Coach Key’s office suite, he wasn’t in there so I just took a photo, left him a positive note on how good he was doing, and left.
  • All the staff who were there (grounds keepers, equipment, etc) who saw me were kind and understanding, I asked if I could take photos and roam and they were cool with it!
Being the only fan in the building was really surreal and cool. I haven’t been on the field since I rushed it back after the 2015 FSU game! Definitely an experience I’ll remember forever! Can’t wait to see the place rocking in a little over a week!
76DBBDB1-DCE0-4101-9760-BCDE28F63BF7.jpeg

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13299So today I had a half day of high school for the PSAT. I went on a training run (I’m in cross country) on techs campus, and I SNUCK INTO THE STADIUM! Weirdly enough it was gate 9, the gate I enter gameday. I went on a walking journey through the place!

• Walked on the field. Got pics at midfield, found a random players glove just lying out on the turf. Took it home with me.
  • Walked under all the stands, saw the OG west stands, saw the weight room under the south stands. They already had signs prepping for the Virginia game.
  • Didn’t have time to go into edge building although I wanted to. But I was able to enter Coach Key’s office suite, he wasn’t in there so I just took a photo, left him a positive note on how good he was doing, and left.
  • All the staff who were there (grounds keepers, equipment, etc) who saw me were kind and understanding, I asked if I could take photos and roam and they were cool with it!
Being the only fan in the building was really surreal and cool. I haven’t been on the field since I rushed it back after the 2015 FSU game! Definitely an experience I’ll remember forever! Can’t wait to see the place rocking in a little over a week!
View attachment 13300
Very cool! Jealous!

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Back in the late seventies, the intramural soccer was played in winter quarter on the only artificial turf on campus: Grant Field. The freshman running class was also on the track and field. Seemed pretty cool at the time.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Back in the late seventies, the intramural soccer was played in winter quarter on the only artificial turf on campus: Grant Field. The freshman running class was also on the track and field. Seemed pretty cool at the time.
I remember one of those games. I got hit from behind and hit the turf. Might as well been concrete. That was the first time I saw stars.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Stadium was open in my day. Used to run the track or throw frisbees on the filed (could bounce them the astro turf over concrete was so thin).
Yep, and during Ice-mageddon in the early 80's we went onto the field to have a huge snow/ice-ball fight while slipping and sliding all over that thinly covered concrete!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Stadium was open in my day. Used to run the track or throw frisbees on the filed (could bounce them the astro turf over concrete was so thin).
You must be from my era. I ran PE track on that cinder track in 1964. I saw them put down that artificial turf. It must have been 1972 or 1973 timeframe. It was concrete with some sort of foam on it and turf material on that. I think Carson was the coach or maybe Fulcher.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I remember sneaking onto the field summer of my freshman year, and then having to have everyone run in different directions to escape the security guy chasing after us.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Hold up…so you just walked up in Key’s office? And left him a note? Lol.
His office is in that little window in the lower north stands behind the student section. The door that enters into it from the stadium side was unlocked. I used the notepad in there to write the note lol. Here is an image of the office I found online that shows where it is.
1665619722565.png

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Late 60's, early 70's it was always open. I would climb way up into the stands to view downtown. Probably would not be allowed today due to liability. Our track class was around the field, too.
Not track class - aerobics. Three mandatory PE classes back then, aerobics, drown proofing and gymnastics. Spring semester Grant Field became Grant Beach every Friday afternoon.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
His office is in that little window in the lower north stands behind the student section. The door that enters into it from the stadium side was unlocked. I used the notepad in there to write the note lol. Here is an image of the office I found online that shows where it is.
View attachment 13302
Oh, I’m well aware haha. Been in there a few times. I just think it’s wild you just strolled up in there.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not track class - aerobics. Three mandatory PE classes back then, aerobics, drown proofing and gymnastics. Spring semester Grant Field became Grant Beach every Friday afternoon.
In 1964 as a freshman it was 6 quarters of PE. Gymnastics was the most difficult PE class I ever took. My basketball PE instructor was the head coach, Whack Hyder. He was a really nice guy as was Coach Plaxico my gymnastics coach.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember one of those games. I got hit from behind and hit the turf. Might as well been concrete. That was the first time I saw stars.
First time I saw stars, I looked up in the sky. 🌟 😉
That old astroturf was nasty. The first intramural soccer game I played at Grant Field, I went in for a slide tackle and got up with a foot long raspberry on my shin. It basically took up an entire outer shin. I always played in sweat pants after that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like how you documented a crime and made the case for the DA. LOL...kidding.

When I was at GT (I dormed at Smith), we use to play night football at BDS. Don't know if BDS is still open at night for the general public, but I hope it is. LOTS of memories of BDS for me outside of just gamedays.