Hypothetical QB question

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think it is natural to default to keeping the ball instead of pitching it when you have great confidence in yourself and realize the pitch increases risk and I think that was a factor last year with Marshall. With another year under his belt and skilled experienced a-backs I think he will run less and pitch more which will bode well for overall production.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why don't you ask...I am tempted to give StingTalk worthy reply here...but I won't.
It was a rhetorical question with a follow up, here's the follow up. Isn't it possible, if not likely, that SA's improve their performance from one year to the next? In addition, players don't play in a vacuum, the surrounding cast has a huge impact on personal performance. Cleaner blocks, better angles and timing, less missed assignments... all those things make the qb decision making and execution process easier.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it is natural to default to keeping the ball instead of pitching it when you have great confidence in yourself and realize the pitch increases risk and I think that was a factor last year with Marshall. With another year under his belt and skilled experienced a-backs I think he will run less and pitch more which will bode well for overall production.
With an improved OL making clean blocks, there will be more situation where the decision is not so precarious. Marshall executed well last year, for the most part, when the play unfolded in a textbook fashion. He'll also be more experienced with line stunts such as cross charge and how to better read those plays.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
What has not been discussed is that when JT was playing QB the defenses preferred to play the QB first and make him pitch early. He was quite a threat with his wheels and IMO more teams elected to take away the QB run in the triple option and take their chances with the pitch.

It was just the opposite in TM's first year under center as the QB as most teams preferred to force him (TM) to make plays as opposed to slow playing the QB as they did with JT. With a year under his belt at Qb, I expect to see TM distribute the ball more as the defenses are now going to be worried about him keeping the football as they were with JT.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How does one ask a moot question?
I don't know. Guess it means that if Marshall does not get better blocking than he did last year he will be keeping the ball and running for his life. Thus, it will not matter who the quarterback is because none of them will want to play with linebackers in their face a half second after the snap.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree its not all the qb.

When D mills walked on campus , he was best "natural football player" on the team. He was a go to guy that made plays even though the defense knew he was coming.

He was the chicken in the chicken soup.

At OL Parker B has been good and at w r J Camp is a physical specimen. Perhaps the ol can gel around parker and perhaps Camp can be on somec ESPN high lights.

This team has as wide a swing in plausible outcomes as any recent team.

I am cautiously optimistic. I think starting out with a cupcake (no offense Alcorn but you know what I mean) could be significant to this team. It will give us an extra week to iron out any timing problems and give confidence to Marshall and the A backs. I am not concerned about Benson and Jerry they will be fine but the A back situation has to get better. I am not at all sure that Marshall just lost confidence in his A backs last year. It is going to hard to not have a go to wide receiver. We will end up missing Ricky a bunch by the end of the year UNLESS receivers bust tail this summer with a sense of urgency to get better.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I'm not certain he lost confidence in the A backs. Because the blocking by our tackles was not the best, the pitch vs. keep key was really muddy last season. My hunch is that he was just playing it safe when he was not 100% sure of the call

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm not certain he lost confidence in the A backs. Because the blocking by our tackles was not the best, the pitch vs. keep key was really muddy last season. My hunch is that he was just playing it safe when he was not 100% sure of the call
That is what I thought was happening a lot last year. The backers were crashing into the pitch areas and had numbers. Sometimes 3 on 2. He didn't pitch since it was too risky and the option wasn't there. The tackles didn't get into the LB's and the D had numbers on the edge. The D may be holding our linemen to keep them from getting to the LB's or coaches have gotten onto some keys to flood the pitch area before the tackle can release into the secondary.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is what I thought was happening a lot last year. The backers were crashing into the pitch areas and had numbers. Sometimes 3 on 2. He didn't pitch since it was too risky and the option wasn't there. The tackles didn't get into the LB's and the D had numbers on the edge. The D may be holding our linemen to keep them from getting to the LB's or coaches have gotten onto some keys to flood the pitch area before the tackle can release into the secondary.
I agree the pitch read was muddy, but the pitch usually had more potential for bigger yards. My hope is he’s been watching a ton of game film and sees all the yards we left on the field last year.

It is also my hope/expectation that his reads are less muddy this year. Last year was the investment, this year is the payoff!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree the pitch read was muddy, but the pitch usually had more potential for bigger yards. My hope is he’s been watching a ton of game film and sees all the yards we left on the field last year.

It is also my hope/expectation that his reads are less muddy this year. Last year was the investment, this year is the payoff!
The pitch works better if the QB cuts off tackle and lets the A- back have the outside lane. The problem last year the QB keep going wide outside and took the lane of the A - back. Without cutting up field the defense knew after the B- back all other runs were going wide. Hence the 3 Option was only a option, easy to defend. JMO

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

It could very well be that there is nothing wrong that putting people on their tail will not cure. Tackle play has been inconsistent for a number of years. It is a difficult position to play in our offense, one that demands quick thinking, speed, and strength. Easy enough to find big players, easier still to find fast players, damn hard to find tackles who are BIG and FAST. Combine that with recruiting that has been spotty at times and you get the inconsistent results we saw for much of last year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Not just linebackers but safeties were flowing to the pitch. Quite frankly, they had little to no respect for either our receivers or for Marshall being able to get them the ball. This can backfire as Virginia Tech found out with two long passes completed for touchdowns. Burn them a few times and they will back up. The question is, can Marshall stay upright long enough for our receivers to get separation? Personally, if I am an opposing defensive coordinator I would continue walking those safeties and linebackers up and take away the dive and the pitch. You (meaning Marshall) can beat us by completing passes or by keeping the ball. Bet you can't do it. Not consistently anyway.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"...reads are less muddy this year." OK clear as a bell.