Hypothetical QB question

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In an older version of Paul Johnson's playbook, the advice on the Triple Option was to "Pitch, Pitch, Pitch, until the defense takes that way from you".

I think the offense works best when the QB is a distributor and not keeping the ball. JT rarely had more than 15 rushing attempts per game, Taquon regularly exceeds 20 (with 44! against Tennessee). And you can mostly see that in the game stats, after the Tennessee, Pitt, and North Carolina games the QB keeper was held in check. 18 yards vs. Miami. 23 yards vs Clemson. 64 yards vs VT.

Then again, Taquon was effectively a 25% passer the last 5 games of the season, so maybe distribution isn't the best strategy.
Wait, you are confusing me here. Are you saying that Johnson's playbook has two versions? I don't think anything has changed except the QBs. And the O line. And he Bback. And the Abacks. Which is to say blocks have to be made, reads have to be right, and if not the most important at least as important as anything is the pitch relationship between the QB and the pitch back. I think I remember it being four yards behind, four yards outside the QB. I think. Regardless, the pitchback has to be where he is supposed to be. When I made an earlier reference to Washington, if you find a couple of those videos you will see him pitching the ball almost blind because he knows his man is there. Of late, not so much. Lack of trust, bad reads and you wind up with the QB hanging on 20 plus times a game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It will never happen...much to our detriment. Marshall apparently is the "anointed one" who will magically improve his completion % to >50%, make all the correct reads, and learn to share the ball because he has had a full season of experience. But it is fun to imagine.
Well, good thing is he doesn’t need to throw 50 percent and make all the right reads to be a lot better. 40-45 percent completion and just a 2-4 better reads a game could make a world of difference. I’ll also add he played well enough to win another 2 or 3 games last year even with the miss reads and bad passing. In year 2 it’s natural to assume he will be better with reads and passing, and if he hits the numbers I mentioned it’s not crazy to think our offense could be top 15-20 in efficiency.

CPJ said in public that the job was Jordan's to lose. He admitted in an interview to the contrary, that he was leaning towards Marshall after the conclusion of Spring 2017 all along. The injury to Jordan in pre-season camp just saved him from an embarrassing predicament of starting an untested QB over one that had played and played well. Not to mention that Jordan gave up playing time at AB to return to QB when Byerly was lost to injury in 2015.
I could be wrong but wasn’t CPJ’s comments about MJ early on? So isn’t it possible that he was telling the truth and then TM started catching the eye of CPJ after his comment? For what it’s worth I’m not sure if MJ would have been the starter and I’m inclined to believe he wouldn’t have based on CPJ’s comments about TM. However, I’m glad MJ was at GT and what he did for the football program. Coming in against VT in 2016 and winning was no simple task.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
When does fall camp begin, so we can talk about stuff that is happening versus speculate about stuff that’s not going to happen?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Maybe TQM is just having JT5's 2014 and 2015 seasons in reverse? :rolleyes:

But, realistically we don't have a clue who Paul is putting under center this season. Sure we expect TQM, but I would be zero percent shocked if LJ or even Tobias Oliver squeeze in there and get some reps.

As for the Matt Jordan topic, I wish we could have seen more from him. He reminded me of the bruiser type, more Nesbitt-esque... That VT gams was pure Magic, that none of us expected.

Lets just wait and see what the Ol Grumpus has to say come Fall Camp. My prediction is, he will make snarky comments to Kelly Quinlan and be as vague as possible lol

I assume that everyone knows KQ has a YouTube Channel where he posts all the interviews with CPJ after the games and practices?

Last edited:

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Quarterbacks tend to be the best athletes. I'm going to predict James Graham beats out Johnson and Oliver. However, Paul Johnson is slow to make a move like that. Both Oliver and Johnson are too good of athletes to waste. Johnson is a big guy at 6'3", 210 lbs. He's bigger than most of our current linebackers and I suspect he's got some wheels to boot. We lose Brant Mitchell after this year. It's happened before with QBs moving to the defensive side. Oliver has a good size to play safety. Coach Woody would have to do some convincing. I didn't care much for John Tenuta but during the CCG years, most of the best athletes went to the defensive side.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Wait, you are confusing me here. Are you saying that Johnson's playbook has two versions?
Let me rift on this.

Yes. We have had different schemes with different players. I've said it before and I'll say it again: last year, if Jordan had remained healthy and Mills had stuck with us, we would have looked like Navy when Wirth was QB. That is, we would have been a midline option and dive team with a few veers thrown in where the QB usually keeps. And we would have won 9 - 10 games. But it was not to be.

In short, we run the O to suit the personnel and the experience of the players who trigger it. So Marshall ended up doing a lot of outside running where he kept the ball - it's the first thing for a QB to do, that's what the Ds were forcing, and he missed a ton of reads. We got a taste of what the O would have been like with Jordan at the helm in the Clemson game when Jordan came in until he was hurt. I like TM a lot more then many people here, but the team would have looked so much different if Jordan had started, especially in the slop games.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I agree that we tailor the offense to personnel (more so than prostyle offenses despite the hate thrown our way). If we have a tank QB we see more midline, if we have a speedster we see more spread option and outside runs. When our ABacks are slaying blocks we run a lot over tackles and when they’re fast we run smoke routes and quick hitting wide pitches into space.

Last season was crazy. We had a “new starter” at QB AND BB and Oline was a patchwork quilt. That spells a tough road for any offense, ours included.

I have faith we will see a bounce back this season with a significantly better offense production level. I also believe the transition in defense (while it will be painful up front) is going to pay big dividends. I hope we can make it through the gauntlet of a schedule we have this season with 8-9 wins (including a post season victory). Then roll house the season after.

Optimism is contagious and hard work will pay off. Get aboard the hype train and lets go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Barring injury Marshall will almost certainly be the starter. CPJ just said as much and that he expects him to be significantly better. Additionally he (CPJ) has both a vast amount of experience picking quarterbacks and has watched the performance at all the practices and addition hours and hours of film. Some seem to think that they make a better assessment of who should start based on their knowledge but I still think I would prefer CPJ’s choice.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Barring injury Marshall will almost certainly be the starter. CPJ just said as much and that he expects him to be significantly better. Additionally he (CPJ) has both a vast amount of experience picking quarterbacks and has watched the performance at all the practices and addition hours and hours of film. Some seem to think that they make a better assessment of who should start based on their knowledge but I still think I would prefer CPJ’s choice.
You're never going to be successful on message boards with that kind of attitude.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you had to predict.... assuming all the other variables were the same.

What would total offense look like entering the season as you would expect, with Marshall being the #1 QB and a supporting cast of Benson, Searcy, Cottrell, Howard, Lynch, etc.

And then....

What would total offense look like moving Marshall to AB and bringing Lucas Johnson in at QB. This gives Lucas Johnson the supporting cast of Benson, Marshall, Searcy, Cottrell, Howard, Lynch, etc.

On paper doesn't this put more weapons on the field? You put your best athlete and most explosive runner at AB, you put your best passer on the field at QB, and you still have a pair of outstanding BB's in Benson and Howard.

What happens in that situation in your opinion? Would you predict a change in points per game? Change in win/loss totals? Change in important stats like passing efficiency, big plays, etc.

I would think it would lead to more big plays in the passing game, and probably in the running game as well because Marshall is going to bust big runs on the edge.

I am pretty new to the forum and I am sure this has been debated at length, so if it is repetitive I apologize.

If the receivers and offensive line do not improve, the hypothetical question becomes moot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the receivers and offensive line do not improve, the hypothetical question becomes moot.

Agree its not all the qb.

When D mills walked on campus , he was best "natural football player" on the team. He was a go to guy that made plays even though the defense knew he was coming.

He was the chicken in the chicken soup.

At OL Parker B has been good and at w r J Camp is a physical specimen. Perhaps the ol can gel around parker and perhaps Camp can be on somec ESPN high lights.

This team has as wide a swing in plausible outcomes as any recent team.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
As for the Matt Jordan topic, I wish we could have seen more from him. He reminded me of the bruiser type, more Nesbitt-esque... That VT gams was pure Magic, that none of us expected.

I agree, even as a huge TQM fan. I was so sad when Jordan got hurt in the Clemson game. We actually started moving the ball a bit when he went in. I think TQM started overthinking in that game. TaQuon is a baller though, can’t wait to see what he does this year.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, even as a huge TQM fan. I was so sad when Jordan got hurt in the Clemson game. We actually started moving the ball a bit when he went in. I think TQM started overthinking in that game. TaQuon is a baller though, can’t wait to see what he does this year.

If he does anything other than keep the ball himself, like pitch to an A-Back, make the correct read to give to the B-Back, or get that completion % past 45.....I will be like: