How will the offense be affected?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You are assuming that we go to an air raid. We may hire Bohannon or Monken

From what I understand, that's highly unlikely to happen. TStan highly respects CPJ and his offensive system, but there have been rumors that when CPJ steps down, TStan will move GT away from the "triple option". We can all debate on whether that's good or bad, but it's just something that's been circulating. Doesn't mean GT will go completely away from the option, but the option won't be a dominant component of the offense like it is in CPJ's spread option.

Back to the OP:

OL: GT will be fine at OG and C. OT will be an issue. We just don't have anyone with OT footwork or skills for a system outside of CPJ's spread option. Shamire Devine would have been an obvious OT candidate, but his eligibility ended last year.

QB: depending on the next system, I really only think Lucas Johnson will be a QB for the next coach. James Graham is a REALLY good athlete, but he's a better runner than a passer. Josh Nesbitt was a far better passer than JG coming out of HS, and we know how that looked under CPJ. VT wanted JG as an athlete, and not a QB for a reason. If Jordan Yates signs, he's another possibility at QB, but it's going to have to be system that doesn't emphasize arm strength. I think JG, Tobias Oliver move to WR.

RB: Our ABs will probably be fine as slashers or all purpose backs, but they will be comparatively slow versus traditional all purpose backs. Some ABs could move to slot WRs. Our BBs will be a change of pace "power" backs. Speed at the RB position could be an issue as we don't have burners here.

WR: We're not as bad as some think here. There's talent here that may even be better in another offense as blocking was more of a premium than traditional WR skills in CPJ's offense. Malachi Carter, Stephen Dolphus, and Adonicas Sanders are candidates to be good WRs in another system. Also keep in mind, as I mentioned above, JG and Oliver could be players here (Tobias was graded better as a recruit at WR).

TE: Depending on the system, the next offense that comes in may not have a TE either. If it's a spread system, Dolphus could actually transition to TE if he adds another 15-20lbs.

The next coach will HAVE to have the ability to transition the personnel at hand and bridge it over until he signs the personnel needed. If the next coach has option components in his offense, we'll be OK. If we're going pure Air Raid, the personnel issues will be larger.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ has said on multiple occasions that he can run hurry up and no huddle with his version of the Spread Option. Although he could, he didnt because of lack of depth, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. You can line up no huddle to keep the defense from substituting but still not snap until a couple of seconds left on the clock to shorten the game.

OL may have to learn to go from hand in the ground to 2 point stance and more drive or zone blocking. We already drive block so really just adapting to zone blocking if the system uses that.

WR will need to learn better routes. We have the size but can they make the skills adjustment.

ABacks are talented but on the smallish scatback side. Wish we had recruited a few Cox's as Aback/Hybrids. If the new regime uses 4 receiver sets than Abacks transition to wide slots vs narrow slots. Lynch and Searcy would have done pretty well as wide slot receivers.

Animal02

Banned
From what I understand, that's highly unlikely to happen. TStan highly respects CPJ and his offensive system, but there have been rumors that when CPJ steps down, TStan will move GT away from the "triple option". We can all debate on whether that's good or bad, but it's just something that's been circulating. Doesn't mean GT will go completely away from the option, but the option won't be a dominant component of the offense like it is in CPJ's spread option.

Back to the OP:

OL: GT will be fine at OG and C. OT will be an issue. We just don't have anyone with OT footwork or skills for a system outside of CPJ's spread option. Shamire Devine would have been an obvious OT candidate, but his eligibility ended last year.

QB: depending on the next system, I really only think Lucas Johnson will be a QB for the next coach. James Graham is a REALLY good athlete, but he's a better runner than a passer. Josh Nesbitt was a far better passer than JG coming out of HS, and we know how that looked under CPJ. VT wanted JG as an athlete, and not a QB for a reason. If Jordan Yates signs, he's another possibility at QB, but it's going to have to be system that doesn't emphasize arm strength. I think JG, Tobias Oliver move to WR.

RB: Our ABs will probably be fine as slashers or all purpose backs, but they will be comparatively slow versus traditional all purpose backs. Some ABs could move to slot WRs. Our BBs will be a change of pace "power" backs. Speed at the RB position could be an issue as we don't have burners here.

WR: We're not as bad as some think here. There's talent here that may even be better in another offense as blocking was more of a premium than traditional WR skills in CPJ's offense. Malachi Carter, Stephen Dolphus, and Adonicas Sanders are candidates to be good WRs in another system. Also keep in mind, as I mentioned above, JG and Oliver could be players here (Tobias was graded better as a recruit at WR).

TE: Depending on the system, the next offense that comes in may not have a TE either. If it's a spread system, Dolphus could actually transition to TE if he adds another 15-20lbs.

The next coach will HAVE to have the ability to transition the personnel at hand and bridge it over until he signs the personnel needed. If the next coach has option components in his offense, we'll be OK. If we're going pure Air Raid, the personnel issues will be larger.
Rumors, or wishful thinking by those that are pass happy.?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
not sure it will be too bad a transition. The spot like TE is a gap. but AB's are essentially slot WR or 3rd down backs. We have RBs. OL will be fine...its really QB. The question around QB off the bat needs to be there...

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has said on multiple occasions that he can run hurry up and no huddle with his version of the Spread Option. Although he could, he didnt because of lack of depth, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. You can line up no huddle to keep the defense from substituting but still not snap until a couple of seconds left on the clock to shorten the game.

OL may have to learn to go from hand in the ground to 2 point stance and more drive or zone blocking. We already drive block so really just adapting to zone blocking if the system uses that.

WR will need to learn better routes. We have the size but can they make the skills adjustment.

ABacks are talented but on the smallish scatback side. Wish we had recruited a few Cox's as Aback/Hybrids. If the new regime uses 4 receiver sets than Abacks transition to wide slots vs narrow slots. Lynch and Searcy would have done pretty well as wide slot receivers.

I know for a fact Lynch played a lot of slot receiver in high school and considering the skills we look for for an A-Back, I doubt he’s an exception. If we go to a more traditional offense, I bet most A-Backs will be WRs than HBs.

Maybe I am optimistic, but I really do think we have two QBs on the roster who can compete in a more traditional spread type system with the right coaching. Johnson and Graham both have upside.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, if they switch off the option their best bet is to go Air Raid. That would likely provide the quickest path to success on offense.

I would be pissed if they tried to run west-coast or pro style offense at GTECH... Option or Air Raid.