How will the offense be affected?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So, I think it’s a common thing for a transition if we decide to go away from our current system. How big of a transition will it be though? Can we still win and have a really good season in year 1 without CPJ, or will we be way down for a couple of year? So let’s brake down the current roster by position and see how they could do in a different system, probably another option based offense like we see with a lot of schools run like, Clemson, Ohio state ect.

Here’s a list of the guys with typical NCAA OL size. Not worried about Braun being a little under the typical weight.

Hansen. 6-2. 310
Defoor. 6-5. 290.
Braun. 6-3. 280.
Mckeehan. 6-5. 294.
Smith. 6-5. 295. (Could be really good)
Maye. 6-3. 295.
Morgan. 6-4. 288.
Morgan. 6-4. 290.
Tufele. 6-3. 315.
Cooper. 6-3. 305.
Lee. 6-2. 287.

With a good OL coach I think we would actually be in decent shape.

At QB we have a 4 star in Graham and LJ who imo could be good QB’s. This is still a position of worry though.

WR, we have talent but I’m worried about the lack of route running with what we did at GT. We do have size and very good skill sets at WR though.

RB is probably my least worry and think we could excel in the run game with the guys we currently have.

The biggest factor imo would be the QB to WR. We have guys who can do it, but will they get it done is the question. I think it all depends on the coach, but I honestly don’t think we will no matter what have this major down year. I think with the right hire and coaching we still have players who could get us to a good season and compete week in and week out. That’s a BIG if, but it’s still possible.

What positions worry you the most?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The OL won’t take as big of a hit as we think, my biggest concern is how do we recruit future positions like TE while having so many former AB on Scholly. What do we do with guys like Cotrell? Slot receiver?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Offensive Line, no question. The line's style of play is going to be completely different. QB seems pretty solid with Graham and LJ. WR will probably be fine with the WR we have now and a few Abacks converting to slot receivers.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You can't just look at size. Look at our pass blocking this year. Now imagine trying to do that even 30 times a game. It's not pretty. Obviously this answer relies on who we get and what system we run.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You can't just look at size. Look at our pass blocking this year. Now imagine trying to do that even 30 times a game. It's not pretty. Obviously this answer relies on who we get and what system we run.
Obviously you can’t strickly look at size, I was just showing that we could have a decent sized OL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
lol....unless we move to an air raid we might be ok. What we should be concerned with is defense. Without CPJs limit of the other team offensive possessions we may give up 35-40 points per game. Are we ready to match that.

This is way overblown. The limited number of possessions would be about 1 per game. At most that is about 4 more points.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont think personnel is really that far off for any style of offense, the biggest change is swapping a couple of Abacks for TE or fullback/Hback type of posistion.

But yes, we need to work on WR route running / route tree and OL pass blocking. But our guys would have a heck of an easier time blocking out of a 2 point stance and not a 3 pt stance every play.

I dont think personnel is really that far off for any style of offense, the biggest change is swapping a couple of Abacks for TE or fullback/Hback type of posistion.

But yes, we need to work on WR route running / route tree and OL pass blocking. But our guys would have a heck of an easier time blocking out of a 2 point stance and not a 3 pt stance every play.
You are assuming that we go to an air raid. We may hire Bohannon or Monken

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
You are assuming that we go to an air raid. We may hire Bohannon or Monken

I'm not sure i said anything about an air raid? Im talking about basic pass blocking and basic WR route trees. We had only 2 routes for our WR in 11 years. If adding a TE or a fullback makes it an air raid, then i have that definition wrong.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure i said anything about an air raid? Im talking about basic pass blocking and basic WR route trees. We had only 2 routes for our WR in 11 years.

That is not an accurate statement. We have at least 3 routes. :p

As an easy transition, however, I would be thrilled with a Power Air Raid (you heard it here first, folks) offense. Look at what Lincoln Riley has done: taken the Air Raid and added power running to it. Kyler and Baker may have lit it up throwing the ball but what made that offense work was tough running.

We already have a lot of those concepts in our offense (and yes, our pass routes). For example, OU's counter trey read option has the same action as the QB counter in terms of the pulling G and T. And guess what? The QB has the option to pull the ball and run with it. It's not like Lucas or Tobias or James aren't used to running with the ball.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming we go away from the flexbone option:
We will need TEs, maybe a transfer will help.

ABs will obviously need to be moved around, Cottrell needs to be used as an "athlete" with plays designed to put him in space. Play him at RB, slot, WR whatever. Whatley has the size for WR, Jarrett could as well but probably in the slot and maybe Dontae Smith, but he could be a DB. Gantt is one of those guys that is an AB but doesn't fit anywhere else. Kennesaw st is a place that will really prosper with transfers if we move on from the Johnson tree.

I'm actually not too worried about WR except maybe depth if we get hurt there. We just need to coach them up. We also could grab a kid this cycle and WR is a place freshmen can contribute right away.

The OL doesn't concern me as much right now because unless we hire an Air-Raid guy I would imagine the new coach will rely heavily on the running game while transitioning, and this line is built for run blocking. We will need to recruit heavily to whatever the new system is, but next year was going to be a big OL class regardless.

We are stacked at RB especially if Benson gets a medical Redshirt. Not worried here either.

QB is a crapshoot. TO doesn't really look like he would work too well in any other system, Lucas is an unknown outside of the spring game and we know Graham is athletic but, again, I don't know if he could transition to another system.