How Tech plans to use its QBs against South Florida ...

Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 115 63.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 41 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
None of the 3 are the prototype of what he wants. They a really trying to figure out how to be successful given what they have.

Well, I’m not sure what Coach Patensude’s “prototype” QB is.

I’m not a football coach, but it seems to me that Coach Patenaude, Coach Key, and Head Coach Collins need to make a collective decision on the best possible offensive system that can be implemented to maximize the talents of the players available. Not three different types of systems based on what each of the three quarterbacks can do.

This is one reason why I posted earlier—in a separate thread somewhere—that I’d love to be a fly on the wall during the offensive coaches’ discussions in their pre-game planning sessions.

Can they collectively reach a decision—and stick to it? Or is the decision still in flux?

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So what do you do if Tobias starts and is crushing it, scoring almost every drive, but the D is giving up points at the same rate? Do you switch qb's because you scripted it before the game, or do you ride the hot hand, er legs of Tobias because we can't afford not to score?

I think that is one of the easiest questions you have ever posed - if TO starts, and the O is scoring virtually every time we have the ball, I cannot see any coach, in his right mind, changing QB's.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope in short yardage (less than a yard) plays, we go under center. I cannot stand the hesitation play lined up 7 yds deep to get one yard.
Especially with a team that is so comfortable going under center. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to use shot gun down there.

Did anybody ask Coach Pat about that in the presser?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's offense was really good at getting 1-2 yds when it had to have them.

That said, I recall PLENTY of times against top notch competition when we failed to to get those 1 or 2 yards under CPJ. It is entirely possible we could have lined up vs Clemson under center and been denied. Let's face it, that's an elite defense. Elite defenses stop whatever's in front of them.

Right now we are in a transition period where what we'd like to do offensively does not match what our players were recruited for. Ergo the staff is tweaking their system and going run heavy. IMO that's a pretty common sense solution that balances development with the best chance to succeed now. If we can protect I am betting we gradually see a little more passing as the year progresses. Particularly if the run game establishes.

Collins was given a 7-yr deal. T-Stan cited the transition as a reason for the length of the deal. This year is going to be a big challenge. Saban was 6-6 in his first year at ALABAMA. Collins may only win 3 or 4 games at Georgia Tech in what is an absolutely BRUTAL schedule. Like it or not that's the way it is.

Scott Frost lost his first 5 at Nebraska and everyone said it wasn't working out. But the Huskers finished strong as they eventually took to Frost's coaching style and schemes. They are ranked 24th this year. Maybe GT can experience a similar turn, maybe they can't. I do think recruiting is improving and the types of kids we are getting fit what the staff wants to do in the future.

One can ***** about going under center, run/pass ratios, and which QB plays until they are blue in the face. And that's ok, we have a right to our opinions. Most experts feel this thing is going to take time. I happen to agree.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Again, how is going shotgun different than handing the ball off to a back lined up normal?

None, but if it's 4th and inches a QB sneak is almost always the best chance of moving the chains and in that case the QB needs to be under center, IMO.
I've seen the shotgun in 4th and inches and it made not sense to me at all. But most shotgun offenses make an exception in that case.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Again, how is going shotgun different than handing the ball off to a back lined up normal?
I think they were including that the blockers would go into a more run aggressive stance to allow a quick dive by the back.

I would love to see the jumbo package frequently used to wear down the usf dl which looked pretty good.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
His unwillingness to narrow this down to two QBs, at most, makes me think that he believes he doesn’t have anyone who can run HIS offense.
Geez. Playing 3 QBs in a hopeless blowout doesn't mean there's not one that can run his O.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Geez. Playing 3 QBs in a hopeless blowout doesn't mean there's not one that can run his O.

I didn’t think we would win last week but, technically, it wasn’t a hopeless blowout until we were on QB number three. Now we hear that he’s going to play three QBs in week number two. It’s ridiculous, in my opinion, that he hasn’t narrowed this down by now. Sounds like somebody who has a fork, spoon, and a knife but needs to drill a hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Well, I’m not sure what Coach Patensude’s “prototype” QB is.

I’m not a football coach, but it seems to me that Coach Patenaude, Coach Key, and Head Coach Collins need to make a collective decision on the best possible offensive system that can be implemented to maximize the talents of the players available. Not three different types of systems based on what each of the three quarterbacks can do.

This is one reason why I posted earlier—in a separate thread somewhere—that I’d love to be a fly on the wall during the offensive coaches’ discussions in their pre-game planning sessions.

Can they collectively reach a decision—and stick to it? Or is the decision still in flux?
Look at who we are recruiting. Bigger, passing QBs who can also run rather that the smaller running QBs that you hope can also pass. I think the difficulty so far, and we have only played one game and I suspect will settle into something before long, is figuring out which one (or two) give us something that is effective and consistent.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The back hits the line of scrimmage much quicker, without the hesitation in the backfield, as it relates to the zone read. The pro teams know this, as they will almost always line the QB under center.

Well yeah, a called give will hit the line harder than an option play. That's true of the under center option as well though. A called QB keep, or handoff, from the gun will hit the line harder than a TO from under center as well.

Under center allows for a sneak, but that's about the only advantage.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After thinking about it and the way CGC thinks I would not be surprised to see Lucas Johnson or James Graham start this game and the other start next week. That would give him a good look at all three QB's after 3 weeks . And starting the 4th game he will pick one to go with the rest of the year. Or I could be totally wrong.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
After thinking about it and the way CGC thinks I would not be surprised to see Lucas Johnson or James Graham start this game and the other start next week. That would give him a good look at all three QB's after 3 weeks . And starting the 4th game he will pick one to go with the rest of the year. Or I could be totally wrong.

This is kinda what i think and posted. After next game they should/need to decide more finally

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Saturday is going to be a tough day for the big uglies in the trenches. 95 degrees forecasted and it will feel even hotter on the field. I hope our conditioning is good and we have lots of capable linemen to rotate in and out.

I feel like this extreme heat will factor into the game plan. Run blocking is probably more physically demanding on the line than pass blocking, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt there is much difference, especially if you play to the whistle as you should. My guess is pass blocking is a little more fatiguing but I never played on the OL..