How Tech plans to use its QBs against South Florida ...

Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 115 63.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 41 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you’re one of the three QBs and you want more snaps, take the job away from the other ones. It’s called competition. Not everybody gets a trophy.

I think thats the main issue. Lack of qb separation. But animal is right. At some point one of the 3 is a backup. One plays just certain packages and the other the primary qb. We have 1-2 more games and thats it imo to sort it out.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I think thats the main issue. Lack of qb separation. But animal is right. At some point one of the 3 is a backup. One plays just certain packages and the other the primary qb. We have 1-2 more games and thats it imo to sort it out.
Lack of separation? I call it the lack of conformity in an offense that runs dive plays to 8 man fronts with 11 personnel.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So what do you do if Tobias starts and is crushing it, scoring almost every drive, but the D is giving up points at the same rate? Do you switch qb's because you scripted it before the game, or do you ride the hot hand, er legs of Tobias because we can't afford not to score?

If he is producing points, leave him in. But if our D doesn't get some stops against usf, that's trouble. They were shut out last week.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I must say, I expected the start of football season to calm everyone down. It has now caused even more divide than the off-season has.

Will Tech fans ever get along? Who knows...stay tuned for next season. Or the next 10 seasons.

A few buzzwords/phrases to stir everyone up...

CGC IS ALL HYPE.
SAME OLD OFFENSE.
PANDERING TO RECRUITS.
JAMES GRAHAM SHOULD START.
LUCAS JOHNSON SHOULD START.
TOBIAS OLIVER SHOULD START AGAINST USF.
WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH NAVY BLUE IN OUR UNIS.
TRIPLE OPTION.
I LOVE WHEN WE RUN FROM THE SHOTGUN ON SHORT DOWNS.
BRENT KEY IS A TRAITOR.
CPJ LOYALIST.
CGC FANBOYS.
SNOWFLAKES.
OLD FARTS.
NO ONE WILL EVER ACCOMPLISH MORE THAN CPJ.
CGC WILL GET ACC COACH OF THE YEAR
DUKE WILL WIN THE COASTAL.
CGC HAD A NICE DEFENSIVE GAMEPLAN. DOESNT HAVE THE HORSES.
CPJ LEFT US NO TALENT.
MIAMI IS A SCHOOL OF CULTURE BASED EFFORT.
MIAMI HAS THE MOST LOVEABLE FANS.
I HATE WHEN ESPN PUSHES THEIR POLITICAL AGENDA AND RUINS SPORTS.
LETS START POLITICAL THREADS ON A SPORTS FAN PAGE.
HIJACK EVERY THREAD WITH CPJ VS CGC

Did I miss any? I tried to include everyone, including myself. Please, feel free to add to the list.

Well, you left out one important argument that emerged recently on this board. The one about the GT Band’s new uniforms.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So what do you do if Tobias starts and is crushing it, scoring almost every drive, but the D is giving up points at the same rate? Do you switch qb's because you scripted it before the game, or do you ride the hot hand, er legs of Tobias because we can't afford not to score?

He'd probably make a pretty good middle linebacker - bet he'd slobberknock some people. Play him both ways, old school. (y)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After listening to coach Patenaude’s press conference, I think Tobias will start but not play the whole game unless it’s a close game, and he’s the hot hand. Our line’s strength is run blocking, so we’ll probably keep a run-heavy offense until Patenaude and Key agree that the the line is ready to pass protect more. If Lucas or James can show that they can make the plays both with their legs and their arms, then they’ll probably beat out Tobias, and we’ll see more play action passes but probably not a ton of straight drop back passes outside of third and long.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude’s willingness to switch out QBs worries the crap out of me. QBs have to get a feel for the game which requires multiple downs and multiple possessions. Even though Lucas looked timid, we only saw him for one possession which may not be an indicator of his potential. As many on here have said, I agree that Graham looked the best but he didn’t face Clemson’s best so this might not be a good indicator of his potential either. My opinion: right or wrong you gotta race with whatever you bring to the track...and let’s go to the track with ONE QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the feeling that it’s less about Patenaude being comfortable switching QBs and more about the fact that the one QB with game experience isn’t really the prototype of what he wants so they aren’t sure who will be the guy that takes the job and “runs with it”, if you get my meaning. My sense is that the coaches probably would have loved it if one guy distances himself in practice but apparently none did that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
After listening to coach Patenaude’s press conference, I think Tobias will start but not play the whole game unless it’s a close game, and he’s the hot hand. Our line’s strength is run blocking, so we’ll probably keep a run-heavy offense until Patenaude and Key agree that the the line is ready to pass protect more. If Lucas or James can show that they can make the plays both with their legs and their arms, then they’ll probably beat out Tobias, and we’ll see more play action passes but probably not a ton of straight drop back passes outside of third and long.

That's a good point. Maybe which QB is in there has a lot to do with the strengths or weaknesses of the offensive line and how they match with our QB's skill sets.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Saturday is going to be a tough day for the big uglies in the trenches. 95 degrees forecasted and it will feel even hotter on the field. I hope our conditioning is good and we have lots of capable linemen to rotate in and out.

I feel like this extreme heat will factor into the game plan. Run blocking is probably more physically demanding on the line than pass blocking, right?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Saturday is going to be a tough day for the big uglies in the trenches. 95 degrees forecasted and it will feel even hotter on the field. I hope our conditioning is good and we have lots of capable linemen to rotate in and out.

I feel like this extreme heat will factor into the game plan. Run blocking is probably more physically demanding on the line than pass blocking, right?

Vince Lombardi always said run blocking was tougher than pass blocking and you had to be tougher to be a great run blocker.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I get the feeling that it’s less about Patenaude being comfortable switching QBs and more about the fact that the one QB with game experience isn’t really the prototype of what he wants so they aren’t sure who will be the guy that takes the job and “runs with it”, if you get my meaning. My sense is that the coaches probably would have loved it if one guy distances himself in practice but apparently none did that.

None of the 3 are the prototype of what he wants. They a really trying to figure out how to be successful given what they have.