How strong is the ACC relative to other conferences this year?

Deleted member 2897

Coastal is really bad this year. Like 0-6 against P5 teams in non conf games, 4 or 5 more losses to non P5 teams, including an FCS loss.

We’re the only team with a losing record. The entire division only has 1 loss to a team with a losing record out of like 55 games - us beating Miami. The SEC East teams have 8 losses against teams with a losing record. The Coastal is not really bad. We will likely have every single team qualify for a bowl except us. We just don’t have anybody who is very good.

I mean, unless not being ranked is really bad...then yes.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think comcast disagrees.
I don't think Comcast has an opinion about it. They just make business decisions. The ACC waited too long to get a network to take advantage of ESPN's bargaining position.

The Pac-12 has tried to make their own network and that hasn't worked out too well.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Ahh missed one. Was just eyeballing records and schedules. Still the big picture isn’t very good.
Pretty sure you just made up a statistic to back up your opinion. Here are the results for Coastal teams against P5 non-conf teams this year:

UNC beat USCe 24-20 (who beat current #8 ugag)
UM lost to current #6 Florida 20-24
Pitt lost to current #5 PennSt 10-17
Duke lost to current (and at the time) #2 Alabama 3-42

So that is 1-3 (not 0-6) with the 3 losses coming against top 6 teams and 2 within a TD. So I'd argue that the Coastal has been mostly competitive in P5 non-conference games. That is obviously outside of Duke vs Bama, but Bama has been taking most their teams to the woodshed so far this year.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps a bit of hyperbole on my part. But consider this: In the CBS power rankings for this week of the 130 teams there was not one Coastal Division team among the top 25. Represented among the top 25 were 3 from the SEC West, 2 from the SEC East, 5 from the Big 10 and even 2 from the American and 2 from the ACC Atlantic. No Coastal team was in the top 25. The highest ranked Coastal team was UVA at #29. Of the 7 Coastal teams only 3 were in the top 50. UVA, Pitt at #32 and Virginia Tech at #49. UNC, Duke, Miami and Tech were all scattered from #51 to #112. It would appear that mediocre, below average, crummy, and whatever other adjectives for less than satisfactory one can dream up will fit this collection of underachieving football programs at the present. Historically, the really bad conferences ranged from the Big 8 of the 1950s and early 1960s derided by the media of that day as "Oklahoma and the 7 drwaves" to what was then the PAC 8 which usually had only USC as a decent team to the ACC which did not have any good teams except Clemson on occasion and North Carolina every once in a while. The Coastal is NOT that bad but when Wake is ranked ahead of everyone...well that's pretty bad.
Unfortunately, similar to our news media...CBS due it's TV commitments to the SEC has become a shameless, bias self promotor of the SEC. It's It's servings agenda denigrates the ACC and PAC 10 to hype it's feature games for ratings.

It is sad that my attraction to sports was to escape the politcal manuvering and schenanagans of politics and corporate arm wrestling... college football is on a trajectory to nestle itself as just another money grabbing Enterprise that will eventually be it's demise.

So ranking the conferences top to bottom, meaning all teams I think it is:
Big 10
SEC
Big 12
with PAc 12 American and ACC all tied.

Yep I am adding the American.

But if we Rank by best teams
ACC
SEC
Big 10
Big 12
Pac 12
American

In my Book Clemson is still number 1 followed by Alabama and then LSU. Ohio St is next and then it is a pickem.

slugboy

Staff member
Latest SP+ Conference and Division ratings

@ESPN_BillC: SP+ conference and division averages.

The only change from last week: the AAC West jumped the Pac-12 South to move into sixth overall. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GophFaninFL

Georgia Tech Fan
This is the perception from most of the CFB universe IMO. SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, and PAC12 in that order. Clemson has a sure path to the playoffs however.