How strong is the ACC relative to other conferences this year?

Deleted member 2897

If you want to use a ranking, we're currently 98th in SP+ https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-rankings-week-9-lsu-catch-ohio-state-alabama.

For Sagarin, BOTH ACC divisions are between between the AAC West and the MWC-Mountain: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

We are not killing it this year.

Well, the ACC has 12 of our 14 teams inside the top 68 in that list. The "issue" is we are all middling (11 of the 12 teams):
#30: Miami
#41: Virginia
#47: Florida State
#49: Wake Forest (at 6-1!)
#50: North Carolina (they've lost 3 games by less than a field goal)
#51: Pittsburgh
#57: Virginia Tech
#58: NC State
#61: Louisville
#62: Duke
#63: Boston College

But, again, not a single one of those 11 teams (or Clemson) has a losing record.

Syracuse and Georgia Tech are the only teams in the ACC with a losing record. We are just incredibly good at being average this year LOL. We could have 1 team in the CFP and 12 bowl teams. But the bowl games might be the Mr. Clean Toilet Cleaner Bowl.

GT_EE78

Banned
Here's Sagarin's for all the conferences
ACC is dead last among the P5.. Even one of the minor leagues is ahead of ACC
1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.46
2 BIG TEN-E (A) = 81.82
3 BIG 12 (A) = 80.23
4 PAC-12-N (A) = 77.17
5 SEC-EAST (A) = 76.52
6 BIG TEN-W (A) = 75.36
7 PAC-12-S (A) = 75.03
8 AAC WEST (A) = 73.55
9 ACC-ATL (A) = 73.13
10 ACC-COA (A) = 72.23

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.46
2 BIG TEN-E (A) = 81.82
3 BIG 12 (A) = 80.23
4 PAC-12-N (A) = 77.17
5 SEC-EAST (A) = 76.52
6 BIG TEN-W (A) = 75.36
7 PAC-12-S (A) = 75.03
8 AAC WEST (A) = 73.55
9 ACC-ATL (A) = 73.13
10 ACC-COA (A) = 72.23
Agreed. But consider that this means that if the “average” ACC team met the “average” SEC-East team on. a neutral field, Sagarin would project them to be a 3 point favorite. That is not insignificant but it is not a HUGE difference.

Deleted member 2897

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 83.46
2 BIG TEN-E (A) = 81.82
3 BIG 12 (A) = 80.23
4 PAC-12-N (A) = 77.17
5 SEC-EAST (A) = 76.52
6 BIG TEN-W (A) = 75.36
7 PAC-12-S (A) = 75.03
8 AAC WEST (A) = 73.55
9 ACC-ATL (A) = 73.13
10 ACC-COA (A) = 72.23

Its obviously a flawed approach since the Pac-12 doesn't even play football or basketball anymore.

Jmonty71

Banned
" The coastal is by far the WORST...division in college football!!!" There FIFY. Professional courtesy, no charge.
I don't think the ACC Coastal is the worst division in FBS. But, definitely towards the bottom half. I think the MAC and Conference USA has worse division. Now, is the question was the worst P5 division, I would tend to almost agree.

Deleted member 2897

Well, the ACC Coastal is 29-25. The SEC East is 30-24.

The SEC East has 8 losses against teams with a losing record. Losses overall include 2-6 UNLV, 2-6 Purdue, BYU, Georgia State, etc.

The entire Coastal has 1...that's right, 1 loss to a team with a losing record. That's Miami losing to us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, the ACC has 12 of our 14 teams inside the top 68 in that list. The "issue" is we are all middling (11 of the 12 teams):

But, again, not a single one of those 11 teams (or Clemson) has a losing record.

Syracuse and Georgia Tech are the only teams in the ACC with a losing record. We are just incredibly good at being average this year LOL. We could have 1 team in the CFP and 12 bowl teams. But the bowl games might be the Mr. Clean Toilet Cleaner Bowl.

I wish I had never said anything but the idea that so many ACC Coastal teams are smack dab in the middle actually makes for more interesting division games and gives everyone a chance. Makes for interesting football I think.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Well, the ACC Coastal is 29-25. The SEC East is 30-24.

The SEC East has 8 losses against teams with a losing record. Losses overall include 2-6 UNLV, 2-6 Purdue, BYU, Georgia State, etc.

The entire Coastal has 1...that's right, 1 loss to a team with a losing record. That's Miami losing to us.

I look at it this way; If you’re in charge of division and you had to pick, what would you rather have? Two top 10 teams in exchange for a few stinkers, or borderline average across the board? I don’t think anyone’s taking borderline average across the board.

Deleted member 2897

I look at it this way; If you’re in charge of division and you had to pick, what would you rather have? Two top 10 teams in exchange for a few stinkers, or borderline average across the board? I don’t think anyone’s taking borderline average across the board.

The answer for most of the world is whatever outcome matches up with the SEC for that year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Back in the old days, the ACC was pretty much a joke in football. Something to do until basketball practice started. I don't think anyone really thinks of the ACC as a joke anymore. There is talent and some teams capable of playing good football but the reality is that they are equally capable of looking pretty bad on a given Saturday. Miami, FSU, UNC, UVA, and of course Clemson can play ball with just about anyone...they can also lay an egg and lose to …. Georgia Tech. IIWII

Deleted member 2897

Back in the old days, the ACC was pretty much a joke in football. Something to do until basketball practice started. I don't think anyone really thinks of the ACC as a joke anymore. There is talent and some teams capable of playing good football but the reality is that they are equally capable of looking pretty bad on a given Saturday. Miami, FSU, UNC, UVA, and of course Clemson can play ball with just about anyone...they can also lay an egg and lose to …. Georgia Tech. IIWII

Poor North Carolina fans (can't believe I just typed that) are probably bemoaning that this was the year they could have really made a run at something. They lost to the National Champion Clemson by 1 point due to a failed 2 point conversion. They lost to 5-2 Virginia Tech on the road in the 6th Overtime by a failed 2 point conversion. They lost to 7-0, undefeated, ranked Appalachian State by having their field goal blocked at the end of the game. They lost to 6-1 Wake Forest on the road by 6 points.

They're ranked #50, but when you look at all that, its hard to say they're a bad team as much as I'd like to.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Poor North Carolina fans (can't believe I just typed that) are probably bemoaning that this was the year they could have really made a run at something. They lost to the National Champion Clemson by 1 point due to a failed 2 point conversion. They lost to 5-2 Virginia Tech on the road in the 6th Overtime by a failed 2 point conversion. They lost to 7-0, undefeated, ranked Appalachian State by having their field goal blocked at the end of the game. They lost to 6-1 Wake Forest on the road by 6 points.

They're ranked #50, but when you look at all that, its hard to say they're a bad team as much as I'd like to.

Sure, they are good and well coached for a change but notice how often when the game was on the line they choked. They are frontrunners of the first order. With UNC what you see is often less than what you get.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Bingo!

I agree that when people bad mouth the ACC and, especially, the Coastal, what they neglect is that the whole conference is involved in a giant effort to eat each other's children. Nobody has a spectacular record, but everybody is good enough to knock off other ACC teams. When this happens every year in basketball, everybody admits it. But that's because the media and the raters think the ACC is a basketball conference, despite continuing success in football. Overall, the conference is strong; the problem is that we only have one great team.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Coastal is really bad this year. Like 0-6 against P5 teams in non conf games, 4 or 5 more losses to non P5 teams, including an FCS loss.