How much rebuilding are you willing to tolerate?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This plus I never want to hear a newly announced HC say of a young man who was offered by, and committed to GT, “Don’t want him - Don’t need him.” A young person saying yes to GT does not deserve that.

I hope we get someone with more class than that.
Agree. BUT, I bet the new coach signs as many as he can. And runs some off.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is what I like about Jeremy Pruitt. "I am a football coach. We will learn to execute plays as they are supposed to be executed. Fundamentals are to be ... perfect." He stresses over and over ... teaching, teaching, teaching ... technique. And he holds the kids accountable.

He was very upfront with the job that the talent at UT was insufficient to play competitive SEC ball. And he would recruit for that. But once there, they have to learn how to play. He asked for 3 years to field a truly competitive team.

I think that's about right.
3 is about right.

I dont like for coaches to berate players in public. After a particularly bad veat down Pruitt said something like there were only 2 guys that played UT football and I am going to go recruit more that will. Pruitt could turn out to be a savant but he seems to be a climber rather than a builder.

His idea of excellence in all phases is similar to other coaches - h s my son coaches has been using the same excellence system used by Minnesota. He says the kids love the rah rah and it makes a real difference in many little things that add up. They had not won district in forever. After 1 year district, then playoff victories for next 2 years. All due to kids policing themselves = team leadership does not suddenly appear in the game. To us old school frats the slogans " pull your oar" is a turn off. .

neverquit

Georgia Tech Fan
What was CPJ's record those first couple of years? As long as we have good athletes to put on the field we will be fine. Just win baby!

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We should be able to compete in 10 of the 12 games next year. I’m not saying we need to go 10-2, but if the next coach is a good coach, we should be in every Coastal game and we should win a few. If it’s a season like 2015, where we win 3 games, but six or seven of them are one position games, I’ll be OK. If we get blown out by several teams not named UGA or Clemson, there’s an issue.

Having said that, I really think we can and probably should have a winning record next year and we should definitely have a winning record in Year Two.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If we go with a TO coach then next yr 8-4 is possible .but-Unless something changes on recruiting he will then fall into the same hole as PJ on getting guys for WR, OL, and QB. and probably DL.

If we go to new passing Off/1 back type then probably will have 2 losing seasons and third a struggle possibly.--
We have no proven passer, little WR talent, NO T.End., limited real speed at Runback although have some candidates. Smallish Oline for pass blocking and trying to learn new system.No rose -colored glasses here to hope.
Hope is not a plan.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When we struggled this year, CPJ would get out and "coach" different positions. Hands-on. So, he calls the plays, coaches the positions, cleans the head, answers the phone ... everything.

Again ... one wonders what GT football would be like if the head coach hired really competent coaches who excelled at teaching the TO. Honestly, I think half our problem is that ... from the AD ... to the donors ... to the coaches ... to the players ... don't agree on how to play the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Every coach and situation is different. I thought Bud Carson was unnecessarily hounded, hurting the program and forcing him to leave sooner than he should. A couple of other coaches stayed longer than they should.

The current situation is such that we should be able to tell after the first year if the new coach has the stuff it takes to succeed at Tech.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
When we struggled this year, CPJ would get out and "coach" different positions. Hands-on. So, he calls the plays, coaches the positions, cleans the head, answers the phone ... everything.

Again ... one wonders what GT football would be like if the head coach hired really competent coaches who excelled at teaching the TO. Honestly, I think half our problem is that ... from the AD ... to the donors ... to the coaches ... to the players ... don't agree on how to play the game.

I honestly believe that a substantial portion of fans were embarrassed by GT running the triple option. They would rather go 7-6 running a classic offense than win an Orange Bowl with the triple option. Winning isn't enough, apparently. You have to win using the right kind of offense, with the kind of the defense, with the right kind of coach, with the right kind of -fill-in-the-blank and so on.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I honestly believe that a substantial portion of fans were embarrassed by GT running the triple option. They would rather go 7-6 running a classic offense than win an Orange Bowl with the triple option. Winning isn't enough, apparently. You have to win using the right kind of offense, with the kind of the defense, with the right kind of coach, with the right kind of -fill-in-the-blank and so on.

I think you may be right. I'd rather win.