How much rebuilding are you willing to tolerate?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on the look and feel. If the new system and coach show competency then 2-3 years ( time to get their kids in ). If they look lost, well that’s a different story

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I can take some losses on the field in the first couple of seasons as long as we recruit better. Wish the basketball team would do this...

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
A little different angle from the other coaching threads.... Because GT has run the option for 11 years, and recruiting season is essentially over for 2019 season, if a coach is brought in with a pro-style system or spread passing system, it is possible that the team is terrible next year... As in, 2 wins terrible.

However... if you brought in Monken, Ken, Lunsford, Bohannan, Debesse, etc you would presumably keep going with a pretty good team next year. Probably win at least 8 games and compete for the division.

I guess the question is... how much rebuilding are you willing to tolerate as a fan? 1 season? 4 seasons? none?

None. Whoever the coach is, if they win 2 games they need to be gone.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
All I know is I don't ever want to hear another GT HC utter this phrase "We need to simplify". On offense or defense.

Lord, I'm surprised we still had a playbook after 11 years of "simplifying" on defense or offense every season...

This plus I never want to hear a newly announced HC say of a young man who was offered by, and committed to GT, “Don’t want him - Don’t need him.” A young person saying yes to GT does not deserve that.

I hope we get someone with more class than that.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
A winning program is the biggest ingredient for fan support and game attendance. Lose games, lose fans. Tech can ill afford a multi-year “rebuild” or, by the time the program turns around, our home attendance will look like Duke’s.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is what I like about Jeremy Pruitt. "I am a football coach. We will learn to execute plays as they are supposed to be executed. Fundamentals are to be ... perfect." He stresses over and over ... teaching, teaching, teaching ... technique. And he holds the kids accountable.

He was very upfront with the job that the talent at UT was insufficient to play competitive SEC ball. And he would recruit for that. But once there, they have to learn how to play. He asked for 3 years to field a truly competitive team.

I think that's about right.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
90% of new coaches coming into a new system don't realistically have a jump in success until year 3/4. (Art Briles, Mike Leach, Dabo Swinney, Dino Babers, Jeff Monken, Dave Doeren etc.)

Considering our roster makeup, I am willing to give the new coach five to six years without screaming for a firing.

Last edited:

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This is what I like about Jeremy Pruitt. "I am a football coach. We will learn to execute plays as they are supposed to be executed. Fundamentals are to be ... perfect." He stresses over and over ... teaching, teaching, teaching ... technique. And he holds the kids accountable.

He was very upfront with the job that the talent at UT was insufficient to play competitive SEC ball. And he would recruit for that. But once there, they have to learn how to play. He asked for 3 years to field a truly competitive team.

I think that's about right.
You hit it right on the nose,Vespidae(y)

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
1 year. If we to 2-10 next year, so be it. I'm not saying he needs to win 10 in year 2, but I need to see improvement and understand the new coaches direction and vision ... Both on and off the field. If we look just as bad in year 2 then I'm going to start being uneasy about the hire.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The one thing this thread highlights is: CPJ inherited an ideal situation in 2008

-Personnel that was for the most part ideal for his system (4 star Dual Threat QB Nesbitt, 4 Star power back with speed in Dwyer, future NFL WR D Thomas, linemen that weren't ideal but still capable). To this day, this is probably the most talented QB/BB/WR triumvirate CPJ has had. People also forget how much Nesbitt carried our offense early in the season creating with his legs.

-An NFL laden Defense that helped carry the team until our offense got its leg under them. Our defense was stout, and had to be early that season.

Depending on the next system our future coach brings in, he may not be as lucky. One thing though, I think there's good talent on defense if the next coach is a defensive guy (hello G Collins).

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
1 year. If we to 2-10 next year, so be it. I'm not saying he needs to win 10 in year 2, but I need to see improvement and understand the new coaches direction and vision ... Both on and off the field. If we look just as bad in year 2 then I'm going to start being uneasy about the hire.

1 year!? Prepare to be uneasy.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
90% of new coaches coming into a new system don't realistically have a jump in success until year 3/4. (Art Briles, Mike Leach, Dabo Swinney, Dino Babers, Jeff Monken, Dave Doeren etc.)

Considering our roster makeup, I am willing to give the new coach five to six years without screaming for a firing.
5-6 years????

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
1 year!? Prepare to be uneasy.
I think it's fair to say I need to see improvement as we adapt to a new system. Even if it's in recruiting, 1 win increase, spending, etc. I'm not going to be ok going 2-10 over the next 4 years and just chalk it up to 'rebuilding.'

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's fair to say I need to see improvement as we adapt to a new system. Even if it's in recruiting, 1 win increase, spending, etc. I'm not going to be ok going 2-10 over the next 4 years and just chalk it up to 'rebuilding.'

I can understand this. Seeing improvement should be quicker rather than later.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see improvement in 2-3 years. However, to reach the new coaches standards, yes. 5-6 years.

5-6 years = Program Fail. Look at the number of STH's and average age. As they attrit and new fans do not replace, you run a very real risk of completely gutting the fanbase. No ... GT needs to win. Now.