How much preseason prep work was done for the USF game?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My enthusiasm and optimism comes from what I expect to be an unrecoverable talent differential between the middle of our OLine and their DLine. I think we will see our BBacks looking at gaps all game long and do truly believe TQM will bounce back for significantly improved passing.

I also think this team wants to win away games, and that we held on to the shutout last week (no defensive let down) leads me to believe we have better focus

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Similar to playing GSU in '14, this is a high risk low reward type of game. If we win, it was because we were supposed to win. If we lose, no one gives credit to USF and calls us weak.

While I don’t think that the AAC is as strong as the P5 conferences, I do believe that there are some good teams within the AAC. Unfortunately, I’m not sure we’ve been consistently good enough lately for folks to expect us to be anyone, regardless of conference or program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the game were at home, I'd be pretty relaxed about it. But in recent years I never rest easy before road games. We don't look like the same football team to me. Slow on both sides of the ball. No fire and enthusiasm. Dead sideline. A low name recognition team but a possibly good team on the road. Not a good combination. But every year is different. Maybe we'll get over the road lethargy this year.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
If the game were at home, I'd be pretty relaxed about it. But in recent years I never rest easy before road games. We don't look like the same football team to me. Slow on both sides of the ball. No fire and enthusiasm. Dead sideline. A low name recognition team but a possibly good team on the road. Not a good combination. But every year is different. Maybe we'll get over the road lethargy this year.
They sure have looked good during their last 2 trips to Athens.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be willing to bet that they are doing a lot of work to prepare for the USF tempo on offense....a new play starts on average every 19 seconds. Maybe we can practice faking injuries like Virginia Tech against FSU! Kidding, kidding!!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I would be willing to bet that they are doing a lot of work to prepare for the USF tempo on offense....a new play starts on average every 19 seconds. Maybe we can practice faking injuries like Virginia Tech against FSU! Kidding, kidding!!

I've wondered a little bit about this (i.e. CNW's D vs HUNH offenses). The new D emphasizes rallying to the ball and rotating guys to stay fresh. Up tempo makes it tough to substitute, plus guys have to run back the ball in a hurry to get set up. With a noon game in the South Florida heat I can see our conditioning really being tested.

On the other hand, our defense is very simplified, so getting lined up quickly and being able to just play without thinking too much seems like a real advantage over more complex schemes.

My thoery is that our extra fitness from rallying more hats to the ball, and being able to line up quickly and just play without thinking too much are going to be a net advantage as compared to defenses in years past. I suppose the newness of the defense could still create some problems knowing assignments vs O's that snap it fast. Still, I see a net positive. Any other opinions?

ETA: hopefully our offense holds the ball for long periods and our D is kept very fresh.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
'ETA: hopefully our offense holds the ball for long periods and our D is kept very fresh." Wear down their D. Need to throw effectively enough to keep them from loading the box and pound them with our BBacks.

We get to see how improved our D is. We have a taller secondary which, if we have the speed, should give us good D for their deep stuff. These guys are not VT, Clemson, or Miami but they are good enough if we don't show up. It is a great 2nd game to see where we are in this new season.
Swarm Jackets sting the Bulls!!! THWG!!!