How much preseason prep work was done for the USF game?

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably a question we won't know, but opening with Alcorn State probably meant additional film work and scheming for the USF game. This is a game Georgia Tech needs to win, and will make an early statement to start 2-0 with a win on the road against a quality team.

All that being said... They look pretty small on defense, lost a ton of talent on both sides from last year, and I expect Tech to blow it open in the second half and win by 3 touchdowns. I think TQM is going to have a statement game in this one. He looked a lot better on his reads in the opener, making the right pitch, etc. He will be on full display this weekend. Just a gut feeling.....

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Probably a question we won't know, but opening with Alcorn State probably meant additional film work and scheming for the USF game. This is a game Georgia Tech needs to win, and will make an early statement to start 2-0 with a win on the road against a quality team.

All that being said... They look pretty small on defense, lost a ton of talent on both sides from last year, and I expect Tech to blow it open in the second half and win by 3 touchdowns. I think TQM is going to have a statement game in this one. He looked a lot better on his reads in the opener, making the right pitch, etc. He will be on full display this weekend. Just a gut feeling.....

I’m not going to lie. I have a lot of anxiety about this game. I feel very similar to how I felt before the Tennessee game last year. In that game, I was anxious because we hadn’t played Tennessee in recent memory and I didn’t want to get beat by an underachieving SEC team on national TV. We have zero history with USF and I don’t want to get beat by an AAC conference team on national TV. Not hating on the AAC or the Bulls but a loss would be bad for recruiting, I think. There’s a lot riding on this game and I think it will be decided by a field goal on a wet field. I hope we are ready and we bring the long cleats. It’s going to get nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoboGoat

Georgia Tech Fan

3 TDs? That's pretty bold. Definitely could happen. I just see it as a close game that could go either way.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I could easily see GT losing this game. Don't know where the 21 point optimism comes from. Particularly if the weather is sloppy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
3 TDs? That's pretty bold. Definitely could happen. I just see it as a close game that could go either way.

Let me explain the optimism, fwiw.

Last year, with just an average Pwr5 D we would've been at least 8-3 and probably 9-2. Our 2 losses would've been playoff teams U[sic]GA and Clemson.

We have a new DC this year which gives us reason to expect better than average D, and our O is basically the same as last year but a year older.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t think we focus on any individual teams in particular in the preseason to prep for them specifically the way our opponents claim they do for us.

Many use similar schemes / techniques against our O that Im sure we take into account. But most are using similar templates to a large degree.

Game week is another matter entirely.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said they run a similar offense as Alcorn which is similar to a bunch of others. Doubt any special treatment was given

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not going to lie. I have a lot of anxiety about this game. I feel very similar to how I felt before the Tennessee game last year. In that game, I was anxious because we hadn’t played Tennessee in recent memory and I didn’t want to get beat by an underachieving SEC team on national TV. We have zero history with USF and I don’t want to get beat by an AAC conference team on national TV. Not hating on the AAC or the Bulls but a loss would be bad for recruiting, I think. There’s a lot riding on this game and I think it will be decided by a field goal on a wet field. I hope we are ready and we bring the long cleats. It’s going to get nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would not be a true tech fan (at least not one for long) if you didn't have a fair amount of anxiety. As many have said, we are capable of beating (most) anyone on our schedule and also losing to most anyone on our schedule. There is not enough data yet to have a feel as to which they will break. This will be a good data point for us. Next week, even better.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We have a new DC this year which gives us reason to expect better than average D, and our O is basically the same as last year but a year older.

Defensively in game 1 I saw some positives but also some negatives:

Against inferior competition I didn't see our DL generate much of a pass rush/win 1-on-1 battles. Also the Alcorn St QBs threw high to open receivers 5-6 times. The plays were there but they couldn't make them.

On the positive side, we generated several turnovers, some of which looked to be the result of more players rallying to the ball. I also liked how we defended the run with authority and stopped the short/wide passing game. Also nice to see a blitzing secondary guy get a sack. It's a new install so perhaps we'll see more exotic pressure and players growing into the defense going forward.

Personally I am expecting we will struggle on D but get more stops via turnovers and gambles that pay off. But I think we also give up quick scores. It may play into our hands as opposing D's will get less of a chance to rest and we can dominate TOP.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

My gut has never predicted a win of three touchdowns.