How long?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A lot of factors go into W/L records, and you have to dig deeper than that, at least in the first two years. As Paul Simon wrote, "The line is thinly drawn 'tween joy and sorrow".

But that's only if I get MY coach. Anyone else will have to win immediately, or I want their head on a stick by game two.
Remember, who ever the new coach is, this time i get to be the first to say " i hate the new coach" .
But others are free to join in and pick a specific item like bad press conferences.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our OL is still going to be BAD next year, and no portal magic is going to save us there. We need to be realistic about our talent and temper expectations so the new HC can get his players, scheme and culture implemented. Any coach that comes in here running college standard rpo offense is going to struggle with the talent we have coming back. We have one WR that can consistently get open, we have nothing at TE, it’s not good and there’s no quick fix for all of our problems.
Collins took all the recruits cpj got in his last year.
The new coach needs to be frank w those players who have limited ceilings.
Its up or out time

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The right hire will do wonders via the portal.
It takes more than just an exciting coach hire, The 1st string quality players available in the portal cost big $$$$ to get, we‘ve scored a few starters via portal (Ely, White Etc) but the vast majority have been dissapointing.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
  • Bobby Ross took a 5-5-1 senior-laden team and went 2-9 with it the next year. He went 2-9, 3-8, 7-4, 11-0-1, 8-5. It took him three years to turn in a good result, and he had one magical season.
And his third season started out 0-3. He was 5-20 at that point, but the team was starting to show signs of improvement.
Then he went 18-1-1 through the end of the next year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our OL is still going to be BAD next year, and no portal magic is going to save us there. We need to be realistic about our talent and temper expectations so the new HC can get his players, scheme and culture implemented. Any coach that comes in here running college standard rpo offense is going to struggle with the talent we have coming back. We have one WR that can consistently get open, we have nothing at TE, it’s not good and there’s no quick fix for all of our problems.

I'm not convinced our OL will be bad next year. One of the benefits of this season is we have seen a LOT of playing time for a relatively young OL. The starters on Saturday were Williams (So), Robinson (R-Fr), Quick (R-So), Franklin (So), and Leftwich (R-Fr). Add to this some of the other guys we've had play for depth and I think we will be mildly pleased with the unit next year. I am not saying we will be world beaters, but I really think the OL will be much improved in 2023.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Ok. But we should have gone to a bowl game this year. Even with that bad o line. So I don’t see why with another year under their belts they should be held to some 3-4 win standard.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not convinced our OL will be bad next year. One of the benefits of this season is we have seen a LOT of playing time for a relatively young OL. The starters on Saturday were Williams (So), Robinson (R-Fr), Quick (R-So), Franklin (So), and Leftwich (R-Fr). Add to this some of the other guys we've had play for depth and I think we will be mildly pleased with the unit next year. I am not saying we will be world beaters, but I really think the OL will be much improved in 2023.
I was encouraged by the pass blocking against Miami. Not great, but passable. If the run blocking could be brought up to runnable, our offense would start cooking. But that's a big if.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Ok. But we should have gone to a bowl game this year. Even with that bad o line. So I don’t see why with another year under their belts they should be held to some 3-4 win standard.
we could have gone to a bowl game, but i’m not sure you can definitively say that we absolutely should have beaten uva and miami, all these ACC games minus Clemson and UNC were total tossups. I’m not sure what we are losing via graduation and portal so expectations for next season are very much up in the air Imo.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was encouraged by the pass blocking against Miami. Not great, but passable. If the run blocking could be brought up to runnable, our offense would start cooking. But that's a big if.

The longer the season goes, the better an OL gets as long as it stays relatively healthy. I think the progress we've seen is what happens when a young OL starts to gel AND practices are changed that better allow them to develop fundamentals. From what I have been told, Key has put the emphasis back on fundamentals now that Collins is gone, and it's starting to show. In theory, (and we all know those words never seem to yield the positive results we hope for), we should have some decent OL play vs UNC (118th in DFEI) next Saturday.

Of course, we will be obliterated vs. the mutts, but still, a learning environment.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It depends on what we lose and what we gain through the portal, but I think we should see improvement by year 2.

I will not call for firing until after four years unless he pulls some B*** L**** stuff and divides the team along racial lines.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The longer the season goes, the better an OL gets as long as it stays relatively healthy. I think the progress we've seen is what happens when a young OL starts to gel AND practices are changed that better allow them to develop fundamentals. From what I have been told, Key has put the emphasis back on fundamentals now that Collins is gone, and it's starting to show. In theory, (and we all know those words never seem to yield the positive results we hope for), we should have some decent OL play vs UNC (118th in DFEI) next Saturday.

Of course, we will be obliterated vs. the mutts, but still, a learning environment.
Looking forward to that UNC game. If the Jackets can channel the frustration of last week's loss and come out breathing fire, this one could end up in the W column.
Hoping the line can hold its own against UNC. We need to move the sticks, keep their offense off the field and keep our defense rested. Tech is a 21-point dog. How often has a team pulled off two 20+ point upsets in one season?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking forward to that UNC game. If the Jackets can channel the frustration of last week's loss and come out breathing fire, this one could end up in the W column.
Hoping the line can hold its own against UNC. We need to move the sticks, keep their offense off the field and keep our defense rested. Tech is a 21-point dog. How often has a team pulled off two 20+ point upsets in one season?
I love the positivity, but I cannot see a scenario where we come close to beating UNC without Sims at QB.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say the only position that really needs to develop over a long time is the OL. The last 4 years have shown that picking up OL transfers doesn't work for plug and play. We'll need to actually recruit HS OL and develop them over 2-3 years before we have a consistent performance. In my opinion, we are fine at the other positions. This is true for the situation where we stick with an offense that is basically the same as everyone else and doesn't have any built in advantages.

If we go with a specialized offense like Chadwell's, I think the OL could be successful sooner since our opponents' defenses would have to prepare a little differently for us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I love the positivity, but I cannot see a scenario where we come close to beating UNC without Sims at QB.
I can see that scenario even with Gibson but OTOH, for all we know Sims will be at QB.
I think we match up sneaky good against UNC. Their defense is something our offense can come alive against, and our defense can slow down their offense enough to eke out a W.
It's an uphill climb, but so was Pitt.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'd say the only position that really needs to develop over a long time is the OL. The last 4 years have shown that picking up OL transfers doesn't work for plug and play. We'll need to actually recruit HS OL and develop them over 2-3 years before we have a consistent performance. In my opinion, we are fine at the other positions. This is true for the situation where we stick with an offense that is basically the same as everyone else and doesn't have any built in advantages.

If we go with a specialized offense like Chadwell's, I think the OL could be successful sooner since our opponents' defenses would have to prepare a little differently for us.
I agree, his scheme lets him beat more talented teams with less, it’s an equalizer

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I can see some of that, I really hope your right. The Gibson kid should factor in next year, I think he’s Collin’s best OL recruit probably. I actually thought our OL had a decent day in pass-pro vs. Miami, run blocking was bad but they were stacking the box daring us to throw.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We are officially as of now the biggest rebuilding project in the history of football.

I’m willing for someone to convince me we can turn this around instantly with the portal but I see no evidence of that so far. Maybe, hypothetically, you get Deion in here and he absolutely floods the program with highly rated transfers and historically good recruiting classes but otherwise we are back to the drawing board.

For the record, I agree with all the posters who say making a bowl is a low bar. I just happen to think we are truly that bad.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We are officially as of now the biggest rebuilding project in the history of football.

I’m willing for someone to convince me we can turn this around instantly with the portal but I see no evidence of that so far. Maybe, hypothetically, you get Deion in here and he absolutely floods the program with highly rated transfers and historically good recruiting classes but otherwise we are back to the drawing board.

For the record, I agree with all the posters who say making a bowl is a low bar. I just happen to think we are truly that bad.
Deion bringing in a teamful of highly rated prospects and filling the stadium with fans is just a fantasy wet-dream brought to you by the same people who are susceptible to joining cults and/or giving their money to ripoff artists.