How Ga Tech will attack Notre Dame

Deej1121

Georgia Tech Fan
Some good stuff here: http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/g...bone-against-jaylon-smith-and-the-nd-defense/

"The Yellow Jackets are currently ranked #15 in the country, with victories over Alcorn State and Tulane to their name, while the host Fighting Irish also come in at 2-0, but have lost starting quarterback Zaire Malik in the last week in their win over Virginia. The matchup between Paul Johnson’s flexbone offense and the Notre Dame defense will tell the story of this game."

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Interesting article and nice analysis of a couple of plays from our first two games.

His conclusion at the end:
Mark Schofield said:
Given the running game that Notre Dame will be facing on Saturday, and Paul Johnson’s offensive schemes, Smith will need to turn in a number of plays like this to slow down the Yellow Jackets’ offensive attack. From what he has shown on take to this date, the linebacker should be up to the challenge.

I believe CPJ has given Jaylon a heap of praise so will be interesting to see how this matchup unfolds on Saturday.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the match up is Roof vs The ND OC............. time for our defense to step up in a big game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I mean shut them down

It IS nice that we have been able to play some pretty vanilla defense so far. I am sure, based on the last few games of last year and offseason quotes, that CTR and co. have prepared some blitz packages that Kelly hasn't seen much film on. I don't think we're exactly loaded at LB this year, but I think we have numerous DBs who can contribute to the pass rush in certain situations.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
On O I am guessing GT struggles with the wide run game (TO, rocket toss, counter options etc.). Second level blocking was a big challenge last week and I think will be more difficult this week especially on outside the tackle runs. I think we will need to have a lot of success with designated B back gives and mid-line to soften them up. Also as others have said I think that the wide receivers will need to have a lot of production.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Exactly. Getting a big stop early to get their O off the field and their fans out of the game will be key. If we win the toss, defer to the 2nd half and start with a 3 and out I will be happy.
I'm thinking ND might come out with a good plan with the new QB (which we have no tape on to analyze tendencies) and have some early success. But, I think the longer the game goes, the less that QB is going to have in his bag and the more we're going to be catching up to their strengths - he'll be losing confidence as the game goes on, which is all fine with me. If we don't self-destruct, we should be able to win in the end.

Either that or we just blow them out from the start, and they use this game as a chance to try out all the QB's on their roster. :)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Exactly. Getting a big stop early to get their O off the field and their fans out of the game will be key. If we win the toss, defer to the 2nd half and start with a 3 and out I will be happy.
Will be a darn good start [emoji3]

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don't care if we pound it out and take 8 minutes to score on each drive or if we score in less than a minute. If we get a touchdown on each drive, there's a darn good chance we win the game.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the match up is Roof vs The ND OC............. time for our defense to step up in a big game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I mean shut them down
This. I know what I am getting from Johnson and the offense. Been the same for 7+ years. Actually 25+.

What I am excited about is Ted Roof. I believe in the guy. He is the difference. When we had Wommack and Groh I hoped they would get us back to at least average. Didn't happen. But Roof is the real deal. And he is a Tech guy on top of that. And he is being given the latitude to build his D the way he wants it.
We are tackling better.
We are hitting hard.
We are playing aggressive and taking the ball away.
We are improving the depth and talent across the board.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This. I know what I am getting from Johnson and the offense. Been the same for 7+ years. Actually 25+.

What I am excited about is Ted Roof. I believe in the guy. He is the difference. When we had Wommack and Groh I hoped they would get us back to at least average. Didn't happen. But Roof is the real deal. And he is a Tech guy on top of that. And he is being given the latitude to build his D the way he wants it.
We are tackling better.
We are hitting hard.
We are playing aggressive and taking the ball away.
We are improving the depth and talent across the board.

I've said it a dozen times on here i know but i think Ted's most important contribution is his no fear, never give up attitude that has infected this whole team

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
With an inexperienced QB, I'd get in his face as much as possible. I hope we get a hat or two on Kizer throughout the game