How efficient is CPJ's Offense?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
From the article
GT's current score of ".968" is over a tenth higher than the previous record of ".865" In fact, since 2007, when the rating system started, GT is only the 10th team to break ".700" and only 5th to break ".800"

In the final rankings FEI had us at .999, destroying the previous highest rated offense.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
From the article

In the final rankings FEI had us at .999, destroying the previous highest rated offense.
Is FEI limited to 1.000? Or can it go higher? What is the theoretical FEI of an offense where every play is a 99 yd TD pass or rush?

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm pretty sure it can go higher, because mid-season (maybe after the Pitt game), we were above 1.0, maybe even above 1.1 IIRC. I'm not sure what the max is because I've never seen the exact calculations, and the FEI involves iterative adjustments for the defensive and offensive FEI's of each opponent.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the following site:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

you will see that not only was our offense the best in country, but was the best in recorded history by a LARGE margin.

Go back and check the previous years and I think you'll be shocked to see how great our offense was based on these factors.

This was posted earlier on the site in December:

Oh yeah, about that No. 3 team. Georgia Tech has ascended to their highest rating of the FEI era (2003 to present). I projected the Yellow Jackets at No. 43 at the start of the season, and they ranked outside the top 20 six weeks ago. According to GFEI, opponent-adjusted single game efficiency, each of Georgia Tech's last five game performancesranks among the top 100 single-game performances of the season. The Yellow Jackets join Alabama, Oregon, and No. 11 Auburn as the only teams with five top-100 GFEI performances this year. Georgia Tech's opponent this weekend, Florida State, has only one.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fei-ratings/2014/fei-week-14

Last edited:

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
According to GFEI, opponent-adjusted single game efficiency, each of Georgia Tech's last five game performancesranks among the top 100 single-game performances of the season. The Yellow Jackets join Alabama, Oregon, and No. 11 Auburn as the only teams with five top-100 GFEI performances this year. Georgia Tech's opponent this weekend, Florida State, has only one.
Wow. Good stuff. Also, Tech five top-100 GFEI games were all in the top-50. Alabama had 5 in top-100 with 2 of those in the top-50. Oregon had 7 in the top-100 (and one that is just outside the top-100) and 5 in the top-50. Auburn only has 4 top-100 with 1 of those being inside the top-50.

Oregon apparently was REALLY good this year. With the exception of not showing up for the early season Washington State game and the first Arizona game, they were consistently VERY efficient. If we make CFP anytime soon, we'll have to go through them. CPJ should do some offseason prep for them (not a lot, but some).