How efficient is CPJ's Offense?

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...on-course-to-break-ncaa-efficiency-rating-fei

"All in all, GT and Justin Thomas have put together one of the greatest offensive performances in the history of college football, and to rather little acclaim. While GT's run at the end of the season has garnered the program significantly more respect than in past years, there has been little buzz for any individual on the team. In fact, this offense does not contain a single award winner or even 1st team all-ACC player, perhaps a grave injustice when you look at what statistically the team has done."

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
And Navy is #8. The offense creates the sense that we can and will score on every single drive.

The O-Line deserves more praise across the board. They are one of the best in the country: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol The stats in there that I can't wrap my head around are that on obvious Passing Downs we are the 7th best O-Line at not giving up sacks, but when we are passing on a Standard Down we are in the bottom third and give up almost twice as many sacks. Outside of passing on standard downs we are Top 10 in everything.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
And Navy is #8. The offense creates the sense that we can and will score on every single drive.

The O-Line deserves more praise across the board. They are one of the best in the country: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol The stats in there that I can't wrap my head around are that on obvious Passing Downs we are the 7th best O-Line at not giving up sacks, but when we are passing on a Standard Down we are in the bottom third and give up almost twice as many sacks. Outside of passing on standard downs we are Top 10 in everything.
Big Philly, you are a good one to speculate on why this is the case, so what do you think?

My thought is that in the obvious passing situation the OL has gelled well in working as a unit and the backs at picking up blitzes since this involves static/traditional protection schemes.

However, in blocking for play/action the OL and backs are not necessarily going to be transitioning immediately into a tight protective scheme. That is, there are elements of "selling" the run that have to be factored in, plus a QB rollout and creating of pass blocking in areas further away from the "snap"; further from a standard pocket created on an obvious passing down. Now, in these kind of situations the fact that defenses will typically play against the option by maintaining space from blockers and pursuing fast to the edge, plus shooting gaps to get "behind" the play could mean that the team is susceptible to rolling into what were going to be perimeter defenders.

I am totally talking out my rear here and am not sure I am making much sense given my lack of terminology; but what do you think causes this stark contrast in results?

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
One big improvement has been that our QB hasn't had defenders in his face directly after the snap. I'm not sure if we changed a scheme to eliminate that or if our OL just improved, but whatever happened it has worked. That was extremely frustrating to see the last couple of years.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
One big improvement has been that our QB hasn't had defenders in his face directly after the snap. I'm not sure if we changed a scheme to eliminate that or if our OL just improved, but whatever happened it has worked. That was extremely frustrating to see the last couple of years.
I think JT and the BBs get a lot of credit there as well as the center. They hit the mesh point, ride it out and make the read off of it so much faster than some other years that OLmen who are only brushing past to get to second level are not in so doing releasing a guy who will be in the QBs face . . . because the QB and BB are already past those crashing defenders as well, or moving down the line.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I just had the time to read the article. I knew it is a good offense but the numbers just blows my mind the gap between 1 and 2 this season as well since 2007! And to think it can get even more efficient!

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I think the last paragraph says it all, and is a reason why I enjoyed watching the TEAM this year.....
"All in all, GT and Justin Thomas have put together one of the greatest offensive performances in the history of college football, and to rather little acclaim. While GT's run at the end of the season has garnered the program significantly more respect than in past years, there has been little buzz for any individual on the team. In fact, this offense does not contain a single award winner or even 1st team all-ACC player, perhaps a grave injustice when you look at what statistically the team has done.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think we have done well protecting the QB on obvious passing downs because those plays are relatively quick hitting. Ball gets out if JTs hand pretty quick. The non obvious passing down protection problem may be due to plays developing slower...i.e. play action plus WR going for deeper routes keeps the ball in JTs hand a bit longer.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I still can't believe hearing someone on ESPN trashing the Tech OL this week. It would be impossible to set a record like this with anything but dominant OL play.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Who bad mouthed our OL?

I don't remember exactly, one of the younger jocky BJs on a bowl preview show. He said Mississippi St. was a terrible matchup for GT because they have "big grown men" on the D-line and Tech's mediocre OL wouldn't be able to handle them. Considering the Jackets just averaged 30 points a pop vs. FSU, Georgia & Clemson I found the statement a new nadir in SEC bias on that network.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember exactly, one of the younger jocky BJs on a bowl preview show. He said Mississippi St. was a terrible matchup for GT because they have "big grown men" on the D-line and Tech's mediocre OL wouldn't be able to handle them. Considering the Jackets just averaged 30 points a pop vs. FSU, Georgia & Clemson I found the statement a new nadir in SEC bias on that network.
Lol, nice. More ignorant coverage. There must be a talking points memo out there somewhere.