How does this years recruiting class stack up to years past?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The other running back was able to put up similar numbers once Malloy was hurt. Not saying that he wasn’t good as the other running back is starting to get a lot of attention for college football as well. Looking at the measurables of both is also night and day. It is hard to judge people based off game film as it’s different competition, which is why the measurables matter and so do camps. And in that regard, Jamious’s are insane.
Malloy's times: 40: 4.42 100: 10.91

Couldn't find Griffin's but I assume they are about the same. As are their heights and weights.

Like I say, you just can't trust the ratings services to get much of anything right except gross stars. I would still rate Girffin over Malloy since he did well for three straight years. But "measurables"? Nah.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Couldn't find Griffin's but I assume they are about the same. As are their heights and weights.

Like I say, you just can't trust the ratings services to get much of anything right except gross stars. I would still rate Girffin over Malloy since he did well for three straight years. But "measurables"? Nah.

It isn't just the rating services who didn't see it with Malloy. He was in our own back yard and we didn't bother offering him until post-December when C'Bo flipped to Notre Dame. Malloy was about to sign with FIU.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck

Of things I foundMalloy bench: 315 Grififn: 415.
Thats the difference between trucking a defensive lineman and getting tackled by one

Milwaukee

Banned
It seems like this staff got their A-List guys at every position except OL. We loaded up quickly on our early targets, which all have a common theme of great length. Even for OL we're offering guys like Wing Green, Devin Willock, and James Robinson on a weekly basis who have great measurables. The staff is getting who they want right now and we're still in it for 4* players like Jayson Jones, Josh Downs, Bryce Howdy, Nazir Stackhouse, Javier Morton, etc.

Mind you, we have a very real possibility of starting the 2021 class with three 4* commitments from Jordan Dingle, Kamar Wilcoxson, and Barrett Carter. Recruiting will get better with each year that we can establish relationships with players.

This is the thing that resonates with me the most. We're not landing 5 and 4 star blue chippers left and right, well no ****...but we're trending upswards and we actually have a shot at more blue chippers than we did in the past. It will take time for our garden to start blooming and we get more 4 stars and even a 5 star or two. The few here that are throwing salt because our new recruiters haven't landed blue chippers within 6 months of being on campus are just so annoying (lol and they actually did land one right out of the gate with Griffin...how big of a feat that was is HUGE in the recruiting world, but don't let that get in the way). They seriously don't understand cfb imo. Paul brought in some friggin killers in my opinion and he literally out recruited some of the factories on a few occasions, but those occasions were just too few. You can accept that or not, I don't give a damn. But for the few that are acting like this current recruiting staff is no better than the last should probably stop following college football altogether, not just GT. The buzz around our recruiting is the highest it's been in a decade, and maybe ever. I live in WI and I'm hearing it. So the locals that are still hating are simply doing it on purpose. The FACTORIES in the southeast are actually fighting with us now. Think about that.

Stop with the negativity. We're not going to land 4 and 5 star chippers right away, it takes 2-5 years. We have one of the best recruiting staffs in the southeast, and if you wanna be a koolaid drinker you could say we have the best recruiting staff in the southeast imo and not sound silly.

That's all I got. Carry on gentlemen. And Go Braves, DeGrom is on the hill so we have our hands full.

Milwaukee

Banned
And we know this how? I am not picking a fight. But it seems a stretch until somebody does something on the field of play. Until then they can have a star in Hollywood and not do diddly at GT.

That was a sarcastic comment, not literal, for the likes of you who aren't giving any credit. Carry on.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is the thing that resonates with me the most. We're not landing 5 and 4 star blue chippers left and right, well no ****...but we're trending upswards and we actually have a shot at more blue chippers than we did in the past. It will take time for our garden to start blooming and we get more 4 stars and even a 5 star or two. The few here that are throwing salt because our new recruiters haven't landed blue chippers within 6 months of being on campus are just so annoying (lol and they actually did land one right out of the gate with Griffin...how big of a feat that was is HUGE in the recruiting world, but don't let that get in the way). They seriously don't understand cfb imo. Paul brought in some friggin killers in my opinion and he literally out recruited some of the factories on a few occasions, but those occasions were just too few. You can accept that or not, I don't give a damn. But for the few that are acting like this current recruiting staff is no better than the last should probably stop following college football altogether, not just GT. The buzz around our recruiting is the highest it's been in a decade, and maybe ever. I live in WI and I'm hearing it. So the locals that are still hating are simply doing it on purpose. The FACTORIES in the southeast are actually fighting with us now. Think about that.

Stop with the negativity. We're not going to land 4 and 5 star chippers right away, it takes 2-5 years. We have one of the best recruiting staffs in the southeast, and if you wanna be a koolaid drinker you could say we have the best recruiting staff in the southeast imo and not sound silly.

That's all I got. Carry on gentlemen. And Go Braves, DeGrom is on the hill so we have our hands full.
Nice speech. Clemson started by drinking koolaid for several years and then it all came together. I think we all hope that plays out here.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The thing to remember about recruit rankings, in regards to Malloy vs Griffin, is that it's the film that DIDN't make the highlight reel that can make all the difference. Every recruit cn splice together 10-20 great plays, but recruiters who pay attention are looking beyond the self made highlight reels to the greater body of work. It goes beyond mere stats and measurables to effort and those other intangibles. There is also the undeniable value that goes along with being courted by the blue bloods and P5 schools. In the end, you've got to trust the staff to bring in the best kids available.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It isn't just the rating services who didn't see it with Malloy. He was in our own back yard and we didn't bother offering him until post-December when C'Bo flipped to Notre Dame. Malloy was about to sign with FIU.
We saw it. We saw it with C'Bo more. We were lucky on this one.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The thing to remember about recruit rankings, in regards to Malloy vs Griffin, is that it's the film that DIDN't make the highlight reel that can make all the difference. Every recruit cn splice together 10-20 great plays, but recruiters who pay attention are looking beyond the self made highlight reels to the greater body of work. It goes beyond mere stats and measurables to effort and those other intangibles. There is also the undeniable value that goes along with being courted by the blue bloods and P5 schools. In the end, you've got to trust the staff to bring in the best kids available.
Well … that cuts both ways, doesn't it? I think we can say of two players who averaged 13 ypc (Malloy) and 9.8 ypc (Griffin) that the films are probably pretty representative.

But you're right about why Griffin is rated higher; he's a 4 star because he was terrific for three straight years. Service ratings are often portrayed here as if they were indicative of sheer talent alone, instead of the player's body of work. If I worked for one of the services, I would have rated Griffin a 4 star before his senior season, no matter what happened. And Malloy a 3 star for the same reason. But if I had to rate them on talent alone, I'd have put them a lot closer the the 247 composite scores. That's why I don't trust anything much but the single digit star ratings for recruits.

But enough.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, and that's why Griffin is rated higher; he's a 4 star because he was terrific for three straight years. Service ratings are often portrayed here as if they were indicative of sheer talent alone, instead of the player's body of work. If I worked for one of the services, I would have rated Griffin a 4 star before his senior season, no matter what happened. And Malloy a 3 star for the same reason. But if I had to rate them on talent alone, I'd have put them a lot closer the the 247 composite scores. That's why I don't trust anything much but the single digit star ratings for recruits.

But enough.

In fairness, there are also times when the services assign extra stars for measurables alone. Kallon is a great example.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all you said, but it'll only work if we get the infrastructure in place. Recruiting staffs are only as good as the people who collect and feed them information about potential recruits. That's especially true about a place like Tech.

And, yes, it'll probably take 2 - 3 years to see what our ceiling really is, if we put enough money behind the staff to be competitive with the rest of the ACC.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad we have them all but the reason griffin is higher rated and was more highly recruited is his ability to make people miss. This is also the reason that Gibbs looks better than either of them and is probably the best running back commit since Dwyer.
Did you watch Malloy's film? He has, like, zero problems making people miss.

As for Gibbs: if and only if he puts on some weight and height. He is exceptionally cute, but if the weight/height given for him is correct (and, admittedly, it's all over the place), we need to hope he grows some during his senior year. And, of course, that's likely. We'll see.