How does this years recruiting class stack up to years past?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Went back through every recruiting class since 2007 and looked at both Rivals and 247 to see how exactly this years class (so far) looks compared to past classes and what to pre-emptively predict based off results.

rOnXolM

The two things i looked at were the average rankings of the top 10 players, the highest impact players you could reasonably expect to be multiple year starters. On average a team loses ~5 eventual or past starters a year, either through transfers or graduation or going pro. This looks at the people that should be carrying the team. The second is an overall average for the class.

For the 2020 class so far, the top 10 average is 6th overall per rival, and the class top down is 3rd overall per rivals
For the 2020 class so far, the top 10 average is 5th overall per 247 composite, and top down is 3rd.

Observations:
There is still a long way to go and the class isnt finished, so itll be interesting to see what ratings bumps happen in the fall season. Unranked People will explode, people wont develop as predicted, and people will have superman seasons like Jordan Yates. Lots will change so this will shake out.

If you look at just the averages of the top 10. you can pretty easily tell which seasons were going to be some of GTs best. 2009 features 3 hella good recuiting classes leading into it across the board from a top 10 perspective, from 2007 and 2009. 2014 got to ride of the coat tails of a RS-SR 2010 class and a strong top to bottom 2012 class. The last four years have been ... contraversial, but they also contain the 2013-2016 recuiritng classes, which as a whole, are the weakest four year stretch top to bottom and just straight up at the top. However, the last 4 classes since then have all been pretty solid.

General notes and summary: To make an elite bowl, you need 2 elite classes at the top to take you there.
The 2020 class is off to a good start and still has a long way to go.
The last couple seasons of mediocrity have been easily explained by below average recuriting by georgia tech standards.
CPJs recruiting at the front half of his tenure was underrated.
The 2007 class was stupid good. The overall class average is better than the top 10 prospects average rating for more than half the classes. That is insane, and what it takes to win a conference title.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think we are all waiting on a "remake" of 2007 - don't see that just yet, but 2020 is not over, so I am willing to wait longer and see.

We, like so many teams, need big nasties to really have a chance to compete (without some other competitive advantage), and as of now, I don't see us getting a lot of 4 star or top of the range 3 star guys at those positions - DL and OL.

So, although it might be slightly better than the last few years, right now it looks to be what can be expected for GT.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Very similar in terms of star and numerical ratings, but of course a better fit for the scheme change. A couple of Bama flips/decoms would make a big diff.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Very similar in terms of star and numerical ratings, but of course a better fit for the scheme change. A couple of Bama flips/decoms would make a big diff.

Thing for recruiting rankings is all that matters is where you fit in your division play. With how tight the coastal is recruiting and play wise, small differences either way make a big difference.
There is still a long way to go, but the last few classes show we have better potential than the last four years results.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I like our class and think we are rolling along quite nicely. We've come up short (so far. It's still very early) on a couple of guys who could have put this class into the stratosphere, but I like where we are at. Also, our diamond in the rough candidates are all guys with high P5 size/measurables. Let's face it: That matters.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
UNC has won 5 gms in 2 yrs and having no issues. This is just GT paranoia you’re having
CPJ was adamant about not letting kids use us as an insurance policy. He told kids no more visits, don’t commit unless you’re truly committed. As a result, very few early commits and it took till January to fill classes (before the early signing period began).

Now it seems the exact opposite approach is in place. I would not be shocked to see flips when teams with higher cache start to offer closer to signing day.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was adamant about not letting kids use us as an insurance policy. He told kids no more visits, don’t commit unless you’re truly committed. As a result, very few early commits and it took till January to fill classes (before the early signing period began).

Now it seems the exact opposite approach is in place. I would not be shocked to see flips when teams with higher cache start to offer closer to signing day.
Agree some could flip, but it could work the other way and some we want could flip to us. Just have to wait and see. But I would like to see CGC do one thing CPJ did if you commit and don't sign in Dec we will move on.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Interesting.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We will lose some (like everyone) and we will gain some (like everyone).

But I think this staff will keep recruiting and not stop once they think all the spots are filled. And if we lose some, I don’t think this staff will just try and fill spots with someone committed to Elon so as to make their job easier.

I think they will still go after the studs.

When all the dust is settled - I would care not about stars, but compare the top 3 to 5 offers each of our signees had compared to years past.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

It's not as if that policy prevented flips in the first place. Actually, it happened quite a bit and if we had shut down recruiting for that position and had a late flip, we were left with open schollies or scrambling to flip someone from a G5.

We will lose some and we will gain some once the musical chairs game heats up. Everyone does. What matters is who we're left with when the dust settles, and I'm betting we will be pleased with the final product.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's not as if that policy prevented flips in the first place. Actually, it happened quite a bit and if we had shut down recruiting for that position and had a late flip, we were left with open schollies or scrambling to flip someone from a G5.

We will lose some and we will gain some once the musical chairs game heats up. Everyone does. What matters is who we're left with when the dust settles, and I'm betting we will be pleased with the final product.
Flips went way down in the latter years.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It seems like this staff got their A-List guys at every position except OL. We loaded up quickly on our early targets, which all have a common theme of great length. Even for OL we're offering guys like Wing Green, Devin Willock, and James Robinson on a weekly basis who have great measurables. The staff is getting who they want right now and we're still in it for 4* players like Jayson Jones, Josh Downs, Bryce Howdy, Nazir Stackhouse, Javier Morton, etc.

Mind you, we have a very real possibility of starting the 2021 class with three 4* commitments from Jordan Dingle, Kamar Wilcoxson, and Barrett Carter. Recruiting will get better with each year that we can establish relationships with players.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We will lose some (like everyone) and we will gain some (like everyone).

But I think this staff will keep recruiting and not stop once they think all the spots are filled. And if we lose some, I don’t think this staff will just try and fill spots with someone committed to Elon so as to make their job easier.

I think they will still go after the studs.

When all the dust is settled - I would care not about stars, but compare the top 3 to 5 offers each of our signees had compared to years past.
The top 3-5 offers recruits had in years past were in part influenced by recruiting smaller backs and OL for the option. This class should have more offers from schools who run the system we have in mind, which is almost everybody. Fact still remains in round numbers the class to date has a .01 margin on the last class and we still have predominately 3* with a smattering of 4*, which is par for the last several years. A couple of Bama defectors might change things a bit.