How do we keep Singleton?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We all know the examples of guys who left recently. It doesn’t tend to work out for them. Even Gibbs arguably would have been better off. His statistically most dominant season was 2021 at GT.
Gibbs was a first round pick and is currently the featured back on a division leading NFL team, with an outside shot at OROY. Hard to say he could’ve been much better off…

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
Gibbs was a first round pick and is currently the featured back on a division leading NFL team, with an outside shot at OROY. Hard to say he could’ve been much better off…
The argument was right there in the post: Gibbs’ most dominant season, statistically speaking, was 2021 at GT. You COULD argue he would have been utilized more here than at Bama and it would have increased his draft stock, but that doesn’t mean I am parading it around as fact.

But if we want to be pedantic, he is not the featured back on his team. He is second fiddle to David Montgomery. There is no way he will win OROY sharing that backfield, Gibbs’ stat lines will go back down. He was not the first RB off the board either so there was technically room for improvement. And I see no reason to believe he wouldn’t have been a first round pick coming out of GT instead of Bama.

Also I’m not interested in arguing with you about this further, that comment was more of an aside in my post. If you want to disregard that point, be my guest. It wouldn’t change my overall argument in regards to Eric Singleton.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
The argument was right there in the post: Gibbs’ most dominant season, statistically speaking, was 2021 at GT. You COULD argue he would have been utilized more here than at Bama and it would have increased his draft stock, but that doesn’t mean I am parading it around as fact.

But if we want to be pedantic, he is not the featured back on his team. He is second fiddle to David Montgomery. There is no way he will win OROY sharing that backfield, Gibbs’ stat lines will go back down. He was not the first RB off the board either so there was technically room for improvement. And I see no reason to believe he wouldn’t have been a first round pick coming out of GT instead of Bama.

Also I’m not interested in arguing with you about this further, that comment was more of an aside in my post. If you want to disregard that point, be my guest. It wouldn’t change my overall argument in regards to Eric Singleton.
Gibbs most dominate seasons as a running back was 2022 with Bama. His time at Bama gave him the opportunity to have more scouts at his games which like it or not, matters when it comes to draft hype surrounding a player. There is not much of an argument of any that staying at Tech, who had one of the worst offenses in college football last season, would've helped him be a top 7 pick in the NFL draft.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Gibbs literally leads the Lions in rushing yards lol. That’s the featured back.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Singleton or not- I think the transfer portal could be even better to us this coming year than the last. There’s going to be plenty dudes that want to block for King, and catch his throws. Even with a young OL that gets pushed around by Miami and truthfully BG, King’s offense is something to be a part of.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Just a garbage position on Gibbs. He benefited greatly playing one year at Alabama. Learning what it takes to become an NFL player is core to Alabama. It is not at GT. That mattered.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Since we are talking about other players besides Singleton... has there been any news on Blackburn? There was talk he was progressing really well and would maybe be back for the Miami game, but obviously we haven't seen him yet and I've not heard anything more.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Since we are talking about other players besides Singleton... has there been any news on Blackburn? There was talk he was progressing really well and would maybe be back for the Miami game, but obviously we haven't seen him yet and I've not heard anything more.
From what I have read he is close and it seems like a week to week decision now.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
I think some of you don’t realize that I think the Gibbs thing is obviously a stretch.

I just think one sentence shouldn’t negate the entire point of the post. Don’t understand why we need to fixate on that one sentence that was pretty obviously just thrown on without much thought.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Singleton or not- I think the transfer portal could be even better to us this coming year than the last. There’s going to be plenty dudes that want to block for King, and catch his throws. Even with a young OL that gets pushed around by Miami and truthfully BG, King’s offense is something to be a part of.
This is what all the doom and gloomers regarding NIL and portal don’t get - the portal will spread the talent around and increase parity which is a good thing. And mid level teams like GT will benefit way more than the what we lose. But right now, it’s cool and vogue to bash the portal because of the emotions. At some point folks will realize the portal hurts the big boys more than it helps. The big boys for every Gibbs they gain will lose 3-4 depth pieces of 4 stars who don’t like to sit.

Sure, we got caught flat footed in losing Ivey, Domineck, Stone, Walton, and Bennett but that was because we stunk and were behind the NIL game. All that is on goof. We now have an NIL system in place and don’t suck. I hope Key realizes the portal should be our best friend. We’ll find out soon enough if Key is willing to play the game and push players out to make room for better ones.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what all the doom and gloomers regarding NIL and portal don’t get - the portal will spread the talent around and increase parity which is a good thing. And mid level teams like GT will benefit way more than the what we lose. But right now, it’s cool and vogue to bash the portal because of the emotions. At some point folks will realize the portal hurts the big boys more than it helps. The big boys for every Gibbs they gain will lose 3-4 depth pieces of 4 stars who don’t like to sit.

Sure, we got caught flat footed in losing Ivey, Domineck, Stone, Walton, and Bennett but that was because we stunk and were behind the NIL game. All that is on goof. We now have an NIL system in place and don’t suck. I hope Key realizes the portal should be our best friend. We’ll find out soon enough if Key is willing to play the game and push players out to make room for better ones.
We will lose some players to transer that hurt. But I agree with this post that 4 and 5 stars that go to the top programs and sit will want out. Since Metro Atl is so highly recruited I would look for players from our area who aren't getting playing time at the factories. We already did some of this but our chances get stronger as our team improves

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We will lose some players to transer that hurt. But I agree with this post that 4 and 5 stars that go to the top programs and sit will want out. Since Metro Atl is so highly recruited I would look for players from our area who aren't getting playing time at the factories. We already did some of this but our chances get stronger as our team improves
Exactly. We should be able to rebuild both our lines and LB group just thru portal guys. But we gotta roster manage WAY smarter than we have been. I can think of 2 portal WR’s we brought in this season that we didn’t need and neither is named “Blaylock”. Those 2 spots could have gone to a DLineman and a LB which is where we need bodies desperately. We have plenty of DB’s and WR’s. We can’t even get them all playing time now let alone when Blackburn comes back and Canion signs.

As for Singleton, he has everything he needs at GT for his future. A secured starting position in a pro town with a QB feeding him the ball and a quality education to help him handle his future money. If he wants to roll the dice like Brown and McCollum did with a new team then so be it. But, I think his family is way smarter than to go that route.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly. We should be able to rebuild both our lines and LB group just thru portal guys. But we gotta roster manage WAY smarter than we have been. I can think of 2 portal WR’s we brought in this season that we didn’t need and neither is named “Blaylock”. Those 2 spots could have gone to a DLineman and a LB which is where we need bodies desperately. We have plenty of DB’s and WR’s. We can’t even get them all playing time now let alone when Blackburn comes back and Canion signs.

As for Singleton, he has everything he needs at GT for his future. A secured starting position in a pro town with a QB feeding him the ball and a quality education to help him handle his future money. If he wants to roll the dice like Brown and McCollum did with a new team then so be it. But, I think his family is way smarter than to go that route.
You can't just take bodies to fill the OL and DL positions. They have to be good enough to make an impact and more importantly, they have to want to come here.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs was going to be a first round pick no matter where he was. He mad e adecision to take a shot at winning championship and potentially a heisman. Hard to blame him that was not going to happen under collins.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Holy bad take, Batman! Janneh, Lane, and Leary have all been solid contributors when not injured this season. Leary has more catches and TDs than Blaylock, Janneh has more TDs and a better avg than Blaylock, and Chase Lane has been injured some but was also instrumental in getting Haynes King to Tech. And none of this is to say Blaylock shouldn't be here either, I like him too and his contributions and am glad to have him. And all these guys will be seniors next year, making them that much better.

Additionally, we brought in 4 LB through the transfer portal, how many more do you want? Do you think there were LBs out there that were worth taking and wanted to come here but we didn't get because we were all full?