How do we keep Singleton?

Swarm-Phinny

Georgia Tech Fan
Hopefully this link worked but this is his new merch that just dropped. That's one way to keep him.
IMG_3302.jpeg

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys are going to leave, that’s just a fact of the game. Hell Georgia won a couple Nattys and their best WR transferred to Bama. It is what it is.

Our QB should get a nice NIL deal and sponsorship for each year he stays. Other than that, spending on DL and LB should be a priority.

I would expect Singleton to stay as long as King is here. They have nice chemistry and HK looks for him often. In 8 games he’s gone from a 2 star, West Kentucky singing day flip, to the #1 target on one of the best passing offenses in the league. He’ll be hard pressed to find a better situation for himself.

He’s more likely to transfer after Year 2, when he’s more established and we’re possibly turning over more on offense including QB.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Guys are going to leave, that’s just a fact of the game. Hell Georgia won a couple Nattys and their best WR transferred to Bama. It is what it is.

Our QB should get a nice NIL deal and sponsorship for each year he stays. Other than that, spending on DL and LB should be a priority.

I would expect Singleton to stay as long as King is here. They have nice chemistry and HK looks for him often. In 8 games he’s gone from a 2 star, West Kentucky singing day flip, to the #1 target on one of the best passing offenses in the league. He’ll be hard pressed to find a better situation for himself.

He’s more likely to transfer after Year 2, when he’s more established and we’re possibly turning over more on offense including QB.
His senior year saw him steadily rise in composite rating that aggregates 247, Rivals, and ESPN. He committed to WKU prior to the season and as his stats exploded (almost triple the yards and triple the TD receptions from junior to senior year) more and more schools offered. By the time December rolled around he was a mid 3* and had some very nice offers and didn’t change his commitment for WKU to GT until signing day.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
His senior year saw him steadily rise in composite rating that aggregates 247, Rivals, and ESPN. He committed to WKU prior to the season and as his stats exploded (almost triple the yards and triple the TD receptions from junior to senior year) more and more schools offered. By the time December rolled around he was a mid 3* and had some very nice offers and didn’t change his commitment for WKU to GT until signing day.
Didn't hurt we got the WKU receivers coach as our receivers coach!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have to worry about Singleton leaving after this year I don’t think. I do believe it will be a pretty strong possibility after next year though. After 2024, he’ll be entering 2025 as a proven upperclassman and also draft eligible. If he keeps the same pace he’ll be close to freshman of the year in the entire country this year, and theoretically even better next year. His suitors will go from programs like Ole Miss, UNC, Miami, Colorado, Tennessee, etc this year to places like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, USC, etc. next year. And I’m sure the price will be even higher.

I hope we put ourselves in a position where going into 2025 we will be legitimate contenders and our best players won’t feel like they need to leave to get the exposure and play in the big games they want to.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Never can tell what any GT football player will do, given today’s wide-open transfer portal and NIL landscape.

A degree from Georgia Tech isn’t worth as much as it used to be for football players, either. It should be, but it isn’t always.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have to worry about Singleton leaving after this year I don’t think. I do believe it will be a pretty strong possibility after next year though. After 2024, he’ll be entering 2025 as a proven upperclassman and also draft eligible. If he keeps the same pace he’ll be close to freshman of the year in the entire country this year, and theoretically even better next year. His suitors will go from programs like Ole Miss, UNC, Miami, Colorado, Tennessee, etc this year to places like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, USC, etc. next year. And I’m sure the price will be even higher.

I hope we put ourselves in a position where going into 2025 we will be legitimate contenders and our best players won’t feel like they need to leave to get the exposure and play in the big games they want to.
But it sounds like what you’re suggesting is that any major college football program that wants him will have to match NFL prices by the time he is a junior. That raises a lot of questions as to cost / benefit for all parties involved.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
But it sounds like what you’re suggesting is that any major college football program that wants him will have to match NFL prices by the time he is a junior. That raises a lot of questions as to cost / benefit for all parties involved.
What do you mean match NFL prices? I mean after his junior year he will be draft eligible, therefore he may consider transferring somewhere with a better track record of having high round draft picks for his junior season, a la Jahmyr Gibbs

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Never can tell what any GT football player will do, given today’s wide-open transfer portal and NIL landscape.

A degree from Georgia Tech isn’t worth as much as it used to be for football players, either. It should be, but it isn’t always.
You may be right dollar wise but it is worth a lot to some as a personal achievement. I think Eric may fall into that category from what his dad has said.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean match NFL prices? I mean after his junior year he will be draft eligible, therefore he may consider transferring somewhere with a better track record of having high round draft picks for his junior season, a la Jahmyr Gibbs
If only Tech had a couple notable 1st round draft picks at WR, or a recent early round draft pick to show it can be done from here...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, I see. I thought you were saying something else, like he would choose between leaving early for the NFL or staying with a college team that could match his earnings potential.

Three things also come to mind. First, even though we haven’t seen it yet, the time may come when a player chooses not to go to the NFL because they don’t need the money because NIL has already set them up for life. The NFL is really hard on bodies and a lot of players have their life expectancy considerably shortened by playing in the league. It will be interesting to see how that effects future transfer decisions.

Second, I think Singleton has already shown he is a special player. If he keeps progressing it probably wouldn’t matter if he played at North Dakota State his junior year, he would still be a high draft choice. NIL could be a bigger factor, in my opinion, than increasing his draft status.

Third, with a great player, the scouts only want to look at your stats, your measurables, and what level of competition you were up against. Singleton will be able to check all those boxes staying at Tech, and, if King stays healthy, Singleton probably couldn’t go anywhere else and put up numbers that gaudy.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
When I watch Singleton, I see Zay Flowers. Not all that big, but is a good route runner, tough with the ball in his hands and can outrun guys.

His goal is to showcase his talent for the NFL scouts. There's no better to way to do that than to be able to catch passes from a QB that can make all the throws. He has that in King, so I don't see a reason for him to transfer.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
NIL can change a lot of things but his Dad earlier in the season seemed to be pretty sure that Singleton, Jr would be here for the long term.

When i saw Singleton Sr at tailgate - he said Gt all the way. I told him that last summer i had met the gt wr coach who said . I asked the coach we are going to sling it. Singlton agreed we are throwing the rock.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

What I found was that a GT degree helps getting your foot in the door. It's up to you after that but Tech does require time management, good study habits and dedication which are traits required for success.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

A degree from Georgia Tech isn’t worth as much as it used to be for to football players, either. It should be, but it isn’t always.
Did my editing capture what I think you meant? I first read your comment as GT degrees not having the same value today as they once did in general.