How do we keep Singleton?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Did my editing capture what I think you meant? I first read your comment as GT degrees not having the same value today as they once did in general.
Yes, your editing is spot on! It captures exactly what I meant. I should have typed “to” football players, instead of “for” football players.

I really appreciate your helpful editorial suggestion. Thank you!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I found was that a GT degree helps getting your foot in the door. It's up to you after that but Tech does require time management, good study habits and dedication which are traits required for success.
All the people on this site clearly flunked time management.

JEMJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if it's been said and I missed it but i really think the easiest way we maintain more players in the off season is by making a bowl. When our season ends a month or more before everyone else and they just sit around watching other guys having fun, of course they are going to think about going somewhere they can consistently play more (meaningful) games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yes, your editing is spot on! It captures exactly what I meant. I should have typed “to” football players, instead of “for” football players.

I really appreciate your helpful editorial suggestion. Thank you!
I agree with that. We probably have a few that want it but NIL has changed the equation to short term gratification.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
When I watch Singleton, I see Zay Flowers. Not all that big, but is a good route runner, tough with the ball in his hands and can outrun guys.

His goal is to showcase his talent for the NFL scouts. There's no better to way to do that than to be able to catch passes from a QB that can make all the throws. He has that in King, so I don't see a reason for him to transfer.
I don’t see the Zay Flowers comparison. Maybe because Singleton hasn’t had to, because most of his catches have been deep balls, but he averages less than 4 YAC. Flowers averaged nearly 7 YAC for his entire college career.

Flowers is a true “make ‘em miss” guy, whereas Singleton has only broken 1 tackle all season and it was against South Carolina State. I haven’t seen Singleton stick his foot in the ground and make defenders miss - which is all Flowers did. Again, it may be because of what we’re asking him to do. I just don’t see the comparison personally.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see the Zay Flowers comparison. Maybe because Singleton hasn’t had to, because most of his catches have been deep balls, but he averages less than 4 YAC. Flowers averaged nearly 7 YAC for his entire college career.

Flowers is a true “make ‘em miss” guy, whereas Singleton has only broken 1 tackle all season and it was against South Carolina State. I haven’t seen Singleton stick his foot in the ground and make defenders miss - which is all Flowers did. Again, it may be because of what we’re asking him to do. I just don’t see the comparison personally.
Singleton mainly gets dig routes where he catches the ball behind a defender, or he gets the 15-yard out route. Neither offer much opportunity to stick the foot in the ground and cut. Like you said, maybe it's what we're asking of him. He's gotten some OTM passes, but he's pretty small and those aren't going to be his bread-and-butter unless they are the quick sit-downs that usually go to the slot. He's not getting those.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Singleton mainly gets dig routes where he catches the ball behind a defender, or he gets the 15-yard out route. Neither offer much opportunity to stick the foot in the ground and cut. Like you said, maybe it's what we're asking of him. He's gotten some OTM passes, but he's pretty small and those aren't going to be his bread-and-butter unless they are the quick sit-downs that usually go to the slot. He's not getting those.
He will last a lot longer by not trying to run over guys much bigger than him. He is a speed guy. Leave the hard runs in traffic after catches to the bigger guys.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh .. hey guys .. got lost here looking for the ‘How we keep King’ thread …. you all seen that one around?

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
not going anywhere according to his dad. Besides, where would he go to find a qb like King to throw to him? this thread needs to disapear.
^this. Except if the kid’s prime objective is simply to cash in 6-figures. Which is what makes NIL so insidious. And disastrous for young, amateur kids.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
^this. Except if the kid’s prime objective is simply to cash in 6-figures. Which is what makes NIL so insidious. And disastrous for young, amateur kids.

There's an oxymoron imo in your post. "cash in on 6 figures" and "young, amateur athlete" does not make sense to me. Unless I have a misunderstanding of the word "amateur" which is probably very likely.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Never can tell what any GT football player will do, given today’s wide-open transfer portal and NIL landscape.

A degree from Georgia Tech isn’t worth as much as it used to be for to football players, either. It should be, but it isn’t always.
Did my editing capture what I think you meant? I first read your comment as GT degrees not having the same value today as they once did.

It is because of what we're asking him to do. Singleton has it, in spite of his size

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
There's an oxymoron imo in your post. "cash in on 6 figures" and "young, amateur athlete" does not make sense to me. Unless I have a misunderstanding of the word "amateur" which is probably very likely.
Well, yeah, I think we’re in agreement that the entire premise of NIL is then the oxymoron.

Unless the fundamental premise of NIL is the broad stroke removal of the term “amateur” as it historically relates to collegiate athletics. But, nobody (as I’m aware) has said that the term ‘amateur’ is now therefore no longer applicable. On the other hand, it has been said — on this board .. by mods no less — not to name student-athletes (because they’re just kids, of course) for their failures on the field. So, if everyone could just be completely honest about the matter, the entire system is a complete oxymoron. It’s impossible to rationalize!

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
The difference between Singleton and the other players that have left in the past is that Singleton’s current situation is already setting him up for the league.

Last year our offense was very close to dead last in P5. It was risky for a guy like McCollum who wasn’t really getting NFL attention to stay and expect things to get better in regards to his chance at the league.

If you’re already in a good situation, why risk leaving? I’m sure Haynes King can tell the guys how much difference a good fit can make.

We all know the examples of guys who left recently. It doesn’t tend to work out for them. Even Gibbs arguably would have been better off. His statistically most dominant season was 2021 at GT.

And even if Singleton did leave, we have an exciting group of young WRs coming in next year. This is not a position that is difficult to find production from. We have a great QB and a great offensive system. Buster would find someone to step up.

We need to stop with the woe is me act, the dark ages are over. GTs offense is actually a great place to be right now.