How do we fix this nightmare....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man I'd love to hear what yall have. I'm on the keep Johnson bandwagon but every solution I can think of I'm like, "Nah, CPJ wouldn't go for that."

I'd love for the offense to resemble what we ran under Fridge. That wouldn't be too much of a stretch would it?

John's been a member here for a few months. Either way, I don't think he is clueless to what has already been suggested not only here but everywhere across every GT board. It's also been posted by forensicbuzz to get it out of the way earlier in this thread as well.

So I accept that firing the head coach is an option although I don't think anyone here can actually do something about that this year. So to me it's beating a dead horse and would actually be very incoherent to talk about over and over again.

So what else do we have?

Force him to hire an OC.

Get Waller & Smelter in the weight room and move them to TE/H-back.

Allow that OC to have a lot of authority over play-calling with CPJ serving as a Bowden-type HC that only makes decisions like going for it on 4th down and stuff like that.

Scour the West Coast JUCO ranks for a pass-first QB and see if we can get him to come to GT instead of going to Boise, U-Dub, Cal-Berkely, etc., with our QB depth chart we are hurting for a passing QB.

With the way that CPJ has recruited hiring a new OC might not help at all, with the way that CPJ has recruited, he has the fanbase and GTAA by the 'nads, even if we want to change our offense we really can't now that VL is gone.

IMO we are in for a rough next 2 years.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
ATL - agree with your points except making Roof the face of the program. The head coach has to assume that role. Maybe CPJ needs an extended stay at a leading charm school while coordinators ready the team for better results!
In terms of an OC - please educate me on why Friedgen would not be mentioned for this position. Ever since his firing at Maryland and that program's demise, he has disappeared. Seems he would be great - probably doesn't need the money, would be an experienced mentor, loves GT, could make a huge difference. Thoughts/comments?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
A couple of points.

I do not believe we are that far off. Adjustments need to be made but with those tweeks I do believe GT can become a consistent winner even with CPJ as head coach.

A dedicated QB coach would go along way as well.

Friedgen would mean a coaching change.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like to see a faster pace to the offense using different formations I really think Thomas could be a dangerous runner from the shotgun. And find ways to get the ball to Smelter he really seems to be tough to bring down in the open field. These are two of the best athletes in the ACC IMO.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Correct
More tempo changes including no huddle hurry up.
And I repeat get speed and skill guys (Snoddy, JT, Bostic, Zenon, ect) in space so they can use their speed.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of points.

I do not believe we are that far off. Adjustments need to be made but with those tweeks I do believe GT can become a consistent winner even with CPJ as head coach.

A dedicated QB coach would go along way as well.

Friedgen would mean a coaching change.

Any attempt to force Johnson to hire an offensive coordinator is futile. You might as well go ahead and make the change now instead of waiting till next November.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
With Friedgen as O coordinator, do you mean we would have to take him as a head coach or have a change in coaching - i.e. more balance as you suggested?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
With Friedgen as O coordinator, do you mean we would have to take him as a head coach or have a change in coaching - i.e. more balance as you suggested?

I mean thats too much of a deviation from what CPJ does to work even in this fantasy world where CPJ would actually hire an OC to run his team.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think anything can be done right now. The Boosters and Powers are aware of the situation and have either already decided their solution or will so soon. There is nothing we can do at this time. I suspect, CPJ will be here and coach next season. He is going to get paid for it whether he coaches next season or not, so most likely the solution is already set. Again, most likely the AD will let him coach with a new QB and see what happens next year. We might as well resign ourselves to follow the team with the quarterbacks we have and let the chips fall where they may next year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well a money could come along and pay the frieght CPJ to kick rocks.

John Davis

GT Athlete
The thread assumes the situation is a nightmare. It offers no coherent defense or explanation of that assessment. The person who originated the thread has admitted legitimate personal insult from the coaching staff because they misled him about the reason for his son not receiving an offer. There is no excuse for that disrespect, imo. However, I don't agree that returning disrespect is right either.

I look forward to seeing whether question begging becomes a legitimate forum loophole.

AE my beef is they approached us about recruiting, saying they were interested. Then lying about how said son couldn't get in to school but not knowing I wasn't an idiot and finding out they offered kids with worse scores. GT is MY school, I want them to succeed period.

WTF

Uh, no. Smelter has NFL WR potential and you want to move him to TE?

Smelter has poor foot speed for a WR and in a shotgun spread passing attack he would not have as much play-action to help him get open.

Waller looks close to 6-6 and is already 228lbs. he could easily get up to TE size and be a real threat with his speed.

Smelter is 6-3 220, it'd be good to see him as a TE at 6-3 240-245lbs.

I hate to bust your bubble but Smelter has very little NFL potential as a WR.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I would like to see a faster pace to the offense using different formations I really think Thomas could be a dangerous runner from the shotgun. And find ways to get the ball to Smelter he really seems to be tough to bring down in the open field. These are two of the best athletes in the ACC IMO.
I would have agreed with this if UNC did better than 7-6 this season.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure how to phrase this without sounding like an apologist, but when I think about the '08 and '09 success, the thing that comes to my mind is how absurdly lucky we got in so many cases. Those two years we seemed to get every bounce, jump ball, etc. I think our guys showed resilience and toughness and took advantage of the opportunities when they presented themselves, but man, we had luck on our side. We also, if you look at our results, had some really tight games that we seemed to always find a way to win. Now fast forward to this year, and last year, we seem to find ways to lose tight games. I think that's why stats will never tell the whole story. Also I agree we lack the playmakers of former campaigns and think its fairly clear we lack the chemistry and mental toughness we had early on.

I'll say this as well, what we need is more leadership and not twitter and social media leadership-that **** is all talk. I'm talking about leadership on the field and in the locker room. Social media sucks and is distracting. If players have to announce they're leaders and remind people that they are, then they're not true leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.