How close did DJ come to dropping the INT vs uga?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
the sec OWNS those freaking refs, there's no way with as much money is on the line that they aren't trying to exert their will on the outcome of certain games

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I did not like the call for JT to be rolling out with the ball on the fumble down or the down before. There was too much time left to burn especially with Ga having a time out left. Just give the ball to Laskey and pound them off right guard like we had been doing the entire second half. They couldn't stop it. And even if they did, we kick the FG and are up by 7 with just over a minute left. Bad play calls by CPJ IMO...

FWIW, Zach was held to 1yd on 1st down running behind Mason. So, your assertion that they couldn't stop it is untrue. In fact, on 2nd down, U[sic]Ga had 9 guys in the box and the 2 other dbs within 5 yds of the los. They were selling-out to stop the run. JT was tackled for a loss of 3 on a called keeper on 2nd down because we couldn't get them blocked.

Imo, calling the roll-out pass play on 3rd and 12 was reasonable in this situation. We were on the 18 yd line. Having JT roll-out gave him a pass-run-throwaway option to get the 1st down or set-up for a FG. Given the previous two plays, rushing was unlikely to get twelve yards and the difference between 25-yd and 35-yd FG is not that great for Butker.

As it turns out, the most likely outcome without the turnover would have been a FG, putting us up 24-17. If they then drove down the field on us as easily as they did after the turnover, they probably would've gone for two with just a little bit less time on the clock and won 25-24.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
The real question is: will we be that much better off with acc refs next year?

I think we were better than thUGA last year and that next year we will be even a bit more of a mismatch for them.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So do I think the referees were considering calling the "Kick" no good? Did they have black-market bets placed on Georgia? No, but nor is it ridiculous to examine their demeanor and facial expressions. Considering the atmosphere & SEC-centric culture it's possible they subconsciously thought "Tech ought not to have come back, they're playing an SEC team on the road. Did that just happen?"

Look I'm not saying that ref bias doesn't exist. I'm the saying the extent it exists and affects games is overstated. Especially when it comes to our fan base when playing against UGA and the SEC which I'm pretty sure we all despise. I'm not looking to have another post off with you (I already owe you two monster posts) so let's agree to disagree. It may not be ridiculous to examine demeanor and facial expression but I think it's ridiculous to take any worthwhile observations from it. Nobody here is a mind reader, body language expert, knows anything about how the referees carry themselves outside of this one game to compare, and nobody here is unbiased. I'd challenge someone to find an instance in that game where the demeanor and the facial expressions of the referees reveals anything one way or another.

In my original post I was responding someone specifically talking about this play. Watch it and tell me what, if anything, the refs due to support the thought they were rooting for UGA. You can't even see their faces. What makes this call different from the hundreds of other close field goals called over the course of a season? I'd put my money on nothing. Feels like there's a bit of a persecution complex going on which I guess I get when it comes to UGA and the SEC but come on.

Animal02

Banned
But we didn't need a big play. I don't mind the call as much as I mind the execution. A veteran qb, which JT is not, understands game situation (score/time/field position) and is able to make correct decisions based on risk/reward. We had the lead. We could have easily run clock and forced Uga to burn timeouts. Even if we didn't score, we could have pinned them deep with no timeouts.

Maybe CPJ was having flashbacks to the end of the UNC game and didn't want to leave it up to his defense, who knows? Like I said, I don't mind looking downfield for an easy score provided it's wide open, everybody in the stadium was expecting run. What a qb needs to know instinctively is what to do if it doesn't play out as expected. Toss the rock into the 11th row out of bounds the instant you know the pass route is covered. CPJ should have at least reminded him of that scenario before the play.

I agree......JT had lots of rookie mistakes this season......the pick against Duke was another one. It is to be expected with young players......I am so looking forward to seeing his development over the next two years.

Animal02

Banned
Look I'm not saying that ref bias doesn't exist. I'm the saying the extent it exists and affects games is overstated. Especially when it comes to our fan base when playing against UGA and the SEC which I'm pretty sure we all despise. I'm not looking to have another post off with you (I already owe you two monster posts) so let's agree to disagree. It may not be ridiculous to examine demeanor and facial expression but I think it's ridiculous to take any worthwhile observations from it. Nobody here is a mind reader, body language expert, knows anything about how the referees carry themselves outside of this one game to compare, and nobody here is unbiased. I'd challenge someone to find an instance in that game where the demeanor and the facial expressions of the referees reveals anything one way or another.

In my original post I was responding someone specifically talking about this play. Watch it and tell me what, if anything, the refs due to support the thought they were rooting for UGA. You can't even see their faces. What makes this call different from the hundreds of other close field goals called over the course of a season? I'd put my money on nothing. Feels like there's a bit of a persecution complex going on which I guess I get when it comes to UGA and the SEC but come on.

What they did was pretty much what every ref crew does for field goals. Their perspective is looking directly up, they verify with the other before signalling.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
yeah he almost dropped it, but I think it was clear that he had possession before that and his knee went down. if he dropped it I think it would have been ruled a fumble on the field, reviewed, and overturned because I think they'd see his knee go down.

however, I don't put anything past those refs,

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I also believe if Western Carolina rushed 2 players over the snapper on field goal attempts that day, they'd have been flagged.
Exactly. As I posted before their is an unconscious bias at work. Some of the greatest NBA centers to ever play the game frequently got away with walking when they would go for a dunk. Some of the greatest pitchers in the majors got pitches called strikes that would have been called balls if thrown by lesser lights. Examples of these built in biases are too numerous to mention.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
But we didn't need a big play. I don't mind the call as much as I mind the execution. A veteran qb, which JT is not, understands game situation (score/time/field position) and is able to make correct decisions based on risk/reward. We had the lead. We could have easily run clock and forced Uga to burn timeouts. Even if we didn't score, we could have pinned them deep with no timeouts.

Maybe CPJ was having flashbacks to the end of the UNC game and didn't want to leave it up to his defense, who knows? Like I said, I don't mind looking downfield for an easy score provided it's wide open, everybody in the stadium was expecting run. What a qb needs to know instinctively is what to do if it doesn't play out as expected. Toss the rock into the 11th row out of bounds the instant you know the pass route is covered. CPJ should have at least reminded him of that scenario before the play.
Thought for a bit my memory was gone, but I just replayed it. There was no way to "easily" run the clock since it was 3rd and 12 at about the 18 when Thomas lost the ball, and it would have been 4th and 25 from the 31 -- because Thomas was going down -- had he just gone down. I assume Georgia would have used its last timeout right there. A field goal maybe to get the lead to a TD, but with 2:41 left the FG would have been in the 48-yard range. Give the kid bunches of credit for drilling a 53-yarder, but Butker has not inspired buckets of confidence from that range in two years. His longest was what, 49? With one FG blocked already it would have put GT in a very difficult decision.

I don't have a clue what Johnson may have told him at that Georgia timeout at 2:52, never met him personally, but his reputation from my sense is that of a very thorough game coach. I would just guess Thomas, and the team, was cautioned, but sometimes the adrenalin is gangbusters out there. I stand to be corrected but to my knowledge Johnson has never kneecapped a player we may never know what if anything he may have said at that timeout. If I hazarded a guess, it would be he went over a range of eventualities from scramble to INT to fumble. Thomas just messed up with the best of intentions. Can't argue he should have thrown it into the tuba section, but as we learned with MSU, that can fail, too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just going to leave this here...I love to hear the Ugag butt hurt lol.. Stick around for the very end.

Thanks and by all means keep it posted. I thought the enthusiasm of Georgia announcers was admirably restrained with GT's OT possession until of course the ACC officials, ahem, tried to steal it on Laskey's score. But keep in mind: these are, after all, radio guys.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of almost drops--this deal with DJ reminds me at the end of game of the fumble pick-up in the our EZ vs FSU in 08?, whoever that was almost was stupid enough to try to run it out of EZ and fumbling before we re-secured the ball on the ground.---amazing
talk about going from hero to goat

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of almost drops--this deal with DJ reminds me at the end of game of the fumble pick-up in the our EZ vs FSU in 08?, whoever that was almost was stupid enough to try to run it out of EZ and fumbling before we re-secured the ball on the ground.---amazing
talk about going from hero to goat
Hero to goat thy name is Hutson Mason. Ironically he was throwing to Malcom Mitchell on both the go ahead td and the int.