How close did DJ come to dropping the INT vs uga?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
...I have watched this play a 1,000 times and it amazes me each time.

It almost slips out of his hand at the 31 second mark and then as he is trying to get both hands on the ball he kind of bobbles it around the 33 second mark....phew, a lot closer than I realized watching it live!

Amazing play by DJ White and one I will always remember.

To Hell With georgia.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Initially I thought he caught it clean as I proceeded to parade around the room shouting at the top of my lungs and praising the man upstairs...I came back to the tv and was surprised how close it was from being incomplete and was glad he caught it...imagine the scrutiny I would have received if he dropped it...lol.

But he didn't THWG #almosthadaheartattack

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I thought he was going to get Calvin Johnson'd after the replay. I think his instinct was to put the ball down and start celebrating, then he realized he needed to secure the catch. DJW and HfB will be remembered for, at a minimum, the next 20 years for their performances that day

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I felt that game like a hangover for over a week. So many times we had the game "won" only to let it out of our grasp, like the bobble.

If we had lost, we'd have remembered JT's fumble and the missed extra point in OT. As it is, we have The Kick and The Int.

Still for me, the best part of the game was how we were physically dominant on the lines after the first quarter. We wanted it more.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's never bad to beat the mutts like that. Man that crowd was so shocked and depressed after. It's time we beat em down by > 20 tho. Id love to really spank them this year and next but they should have gd team again.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

It almost slips out of his hand at the 31 second mark and then as he is trying to get both hands on the ball he kind of bobbles it around the 33 second mark....phew, a lot closer than I realized watching it live!

To Hell With georgia.

I was thinking last night as I rewatched the game because the satellite dish was snowed in that GT still won. I mean, it is still hard to believe and a itty bitty part of me is afraid I will replay it and we in fact lost.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't he bobble it only after his knee has already hit the ground? I am not sure it is a fumble even if he drops the bobble. I think he was down as soon as his knee hit (and he had firm possession at that time).

This.

I have said that if DJ lost control the refs would have called incomplete and the Dwags would have still had a chance.

He caught the ball.
He was down when his knee hit.
He got up ready to celebrate - but did not hear the whistle.
Knew that the refs were doing everything they could for the Dwags.
Tried to get down again and nearly lost the ball.

Those refs sucked, and God was watching.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You are aware of the refs from this game right? :)
This would have been the biggest injustice of the game had he lost the ball after his knee hit and got back up. There were late whistles all game long and this play was no exception. The whistle wasn't blown until DJ went to the ground for the second time, after the bobble.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I very much had Eric's experience. Almost posted about it a couple of times. When I watched it live I didn't give it a thought. Nor did I think about it watching it again later that night. But some time about a week later I watched it and suddenly noticed all of the bobbling which I had somehow missed earlier. I could imagine a huge controversy about whether he had possession just after the pick. Of course given the ref's record in the game it would have gone against us. We could be talking right now about how we let another Georgia game get away from us. It gives me the willies to think it.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

To Hell With georgia.

doesn't matter his knee was down.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
He bobbled the ball after his knee went down. I do think it's interesting you didn't hear a whistle until after he slid down a few seconds later after that. But even if he lost control of it before the slide and the refs never blew the whistle and therefore blew another call it wouldn't matter because it would have been reviewed.