How about that crowd at UVA!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Austin TX, Tampa-St Pete (USF), possibly Orland, possibly Houston. I would have to look at UCF and UH but given how they're playing I'd be surprised if they weren't filling up their stadiums

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think you will be disappointed. Our attendance is closely related to our # of wins and inversely proportionate to any success experienced by mutt nation. Mix a great mutt season with 500 winning percentage and a large proportion of our proud alumni go into hibernation early, not to be seen again till next October...IF things are looking up again.
I agree with you that this will impact COFH attendance, but I don't get how Mutt success impacts our game with the Hokies this weekend. I'm not expecting a packed house, just a normal BDS crowd.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That is just silly.

Sports to go to in Columbia:
USCe football/basketball
The Columbia Fireflies (minor league 1-A baseball)

Sports to go to in Atlanta:
GT football/basketball
Braves
Falcons
Hawks
Atlanta United
Dream (WNBA)
Gwinnett Braves (minor league baseball)
Gladiators (minor league hockey)
Rhinos (minor league rugby)
Silverbacks (minor league soccer)

Also, Atlanta is a huge transplant city where most folks didn't grow up and came here with pre-existing sports allegiances. That is not the case with Columbia. Atlanta is also probably the biggest or second biggest alumni city for teams like UGA, Auburn, Clemson, Alabama, FSU, etc. That is also not the case with Columbia. Atlanta also has a huge host of higher-end concerts and entertainment options that probably don't exist in Columbia. The competition for non-alumni fans for entertainment dollars in Atlanta is simply in another stratosphere compared to USCe.

How many college teams in large metropolitan cities draw well? Not a ton of college teams in downtown NYC, Chicago, Philly, Washington, Boston, Detroit, etc. packing out 77k in college stadiums on a regular basis. A few, but not many. Look at the list of top 30 NCAA attendance. USCw, UCLA, and Miami may the the only 3 in big city markets, with all three drawing less than USCe. Miami averages almost 20k less, at around 58k.
Miami averages 58k?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree with you that this will impact COFH attendance, but I don't get how Mutt success impacts our game with the Hokies this weekend. I'm not expecting a packed house, just a normal BDS crowd.

It does. Tech surrender monkey fans go into hiding whenever they think mutt fans have the upper hand. It affects attendance for non COFH games as well as COFH. If we were 6-2 it would still have an affect just a lessened one. I've witnessed the phenomenon for over 30 years. It's as true as the sun setting in the west.

I think it makes them feel better to pretend they don't care. Otherwise facing their mutt neighbors and co-workers is just too unbearable.

Back during the 80s this same crowd would claim to be mostly basketball fans that didn't really care how good the football team was.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It does. Tech surrender monkey fans go into hiding whenever they think mutt fans have the upper hand. It affects attendance for non COFH games as well as COFH. If we were 6-2 it would still have an affect just a lessened one. I've witnessed the phenomenon for over 30 years. It's as true as the sun setting in the west.

I think it makes them feel better to pretend they don't care. Otherwise facing their mutt neighbors and co-workers is just too unbearable.

Back during the 80s this same crowd would claim to be mostly basketball fans that didn't really care how good the football team was.
Smh. I trust you're right about this. Btw did you notice all the empty seats on the Gator side of the cocktail party this year? Makes me think this is a problem with all fan bases, not just ours. I just hate it for the players.

Animal02

Banned
I agree to fill a 48,000 is better than having 55,000 and empty seats.
If you cut it down to 48,000.......attendance would drop to 43-44,000.
It is one of those things......unless there is a far greater demand than available seats.
It happens in theater as well. People look at the seating chart, see only the worst seats left, and take a pass......no matter the size of the venue. People will buy seats in Row 40 in the middle of a large theater but pass on seats in row 15 on the side of a smaller one for the same show...simply because of perception.