House vs. NCAA

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Like the ACC or any of the other conferences, the NCAA is a separate legal entity. It sponsors several tournaments and collects the proceeds of those tournaments. They have the money before the schools get it, so if the TV and ad revenue are encumbered, that money will not be available to be passed on to the schools. Remember, these are invitational tournaments. Schools participate voluntarily. Basketball is a very different animal in the NIL stuff than football.
You guys are saying the same thing. The NCAA will pay the penalty but ultimately, the schools themselves will pay. The ACC earned an estimated $34 million in payouts from this years tournament. Likely, those payouts will not happen for a while or will be reduced. That is small potatoes though. It is estimated to cost P4 schools 2 million a year. Not the end of the world. The proposed revenue sharing, and scholarship models which can cost teams closer to $30 million a year is a much bigger burden.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Guys, all he’s saying is the NCAA gets its money from the dues and labors of the member universities. Any penalties come from moneys largely distributable to the universities. The various AAs will pay indirectly.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
Just read the AJC article about potential NCAA class action settlement including allowing student athletes to be paid directly from schools. My wife and have discussed this and our future plans. We’re both Tech alumni, she was a VB student athlete, we are season ticket holders for FB, MBB, and VB, we contribute to the A-T Fund as well as fulfilling a pledge for VB scholarship. We’re not mega-donors, but we believe we are good, faithful supporters. We’ve decided if student-athletes are paid directly and become athlete-employees, then we will no longer purchase season tickets, go to games, or support financially GTAA. I understand the athletes’ position - who can blame them given the amount of money in college sports, grossly overpaid coaches, conference re-alignments, and general lack of commitment to a school and the concept of amateur athletes. That said, my wife treasures her experience as a student-athlete at Tech while on a partial scholarship and doesn’t agree student-athletes should be paid - NIL, directly, or otherwise. Nor do we go to professional sports because of the expense to support highly paid players, coaches, and organizations. We would rather spend our money elsewhere. It is a difficult decision. We love our time on the Flats cheering on the White and Gold as well as giving back for the opportunity my wife was given by Tech athletics. But we will no longer support an ever increasing shift towards professional college sports.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just read the AJC article about potential NCAA class action settlement including allowing student athletes to be paid directly from schools. My wife and have discussed this and our future plans. We’re both Tech alumni, she was a VB student athlete, we are season ticket holders for FB, MBB, and VB, we contribute to the A-T Fund as well as fulfilling a pledge for VB scholarship. We’re not mega-donors, but we believe we are good, faithful supporters. We’ve decided if student-athletes are paid directly and become athlete-employees, then we will no longer purchase season tickets, go to games, or support financially GTAA. I understand the athletes’ position - who can blame them given the amount of money in college sports, grossly overpaid coaches, conference re-alignments, and general lack of commitment to a school and the concept of amateur athletes. That said, my wife treasures her experience as a student-athlete at Tech while on a partial scholarship and doesn’t agree student-athletes should be paid - NIL, directly, or otherwise. Nor do we go to professional sports because of the expense to support highly paid players, coaches, and organizations. We would rather spend our money elsewhere. It is a difficult decision. We love our time on the Flats cheering on the White and Gold as well as giving back for the opportunity my wife was given by Tech athletics. But we will no longer support an ever increasing shift towards professional college sports.
My thoughts exactly. As a club sport player, I feel the same. The players are being paid six figures through their scholarships. That’s not chump change, and it has life-long benefits.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This happens and I'm out, as well. I feel the scholarship and education are adequate compensation for services rendered. I don't care about the inequity of what the student-athlete receives versus what is earned from the media contracts. I will not support the schools paying students to play. I struggled with the cost of attendance stipends, but I understand how that was used, so I could resolve that in my mind. It's similar to a GTA or a TA. When they actually pay the student-athletes, I'm done.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
GT alumni are a different breed than most college grads. GT’s AA donations and NIL contributions will be very low compared to most P4 colleges once this is settled. Players most likely will be paid directly for playing. High School NIL will be next.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This happens and I'm out, as well. I feel the scholarship and education are adequate compensation for services rendered. I don't care about the inequity of what the student-athlete receives versus what is earned from the media contracts. I will not support the schools paying students to play. I struggled with the cost of attendance stipends, but I understand how that was used, so I could resolve that in my mind. It's similar to a GTA or a TA. When they actually pay the student-athletes, I'm done.
It’s no longer college football at that point, it’s bush league pro, and it’s come very close already.