House vs. NCAA

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Like the ACC or any of the other conferences, the NCAA is a separate legal entity. It sponsors several tournaments and collects the proceeds of those tournaments. They have the money before the schools get it, so if the TV and ad revenue are encumbered, that money will not be available to be passed on to the schools. Remember, these are invitational tournaments. Schools participate voluntarily. Basketball is a very different animal in the NIL stuff than football.
You guys are saying the same thing. The NCAA will pay the penalty but ultimately, the schools themselves will pay. The ACC earned an estimated $34 million in payouts from this years tournament. Likely, those payouts will not happen for a while or will be reduced. That is small potatoes though. It is estimated to cost P4 schools 2 million a year. Not the end of the world. The proposed revenue sharing, and scholarship models which can cost teams closer to $30 million a year is a much bigger burden.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Guys, all he’s saying is the NCAA gets its money from the dues and labors of the member universities. Any penalties come from moneys largely distributable to the universities. The various AAs will pay indirectly.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
Just read the AJC article about potential NCAA class action settlement including allowing student athletes to be paid directly from schools. My wife and have discussed this and our future plans. We’re both Tech alumni, she was a VB student athlete, we are season ticket holders for FB, MBB, and VB, we contribute to the A-T Fund as well as fulfilling a pledge for VB scholarship. We’re not mega-donors, but we believe we are good, faithful supporters. We’ve decided if student-athletes are paid directly and become athlete-employees, then we will no longer purchase season tickets, go to games, or support financially GTAA. I understand the athletes’ position - who can blame them given the amount of money in college sports, grossly overpaid coaches, conference re-alignments, and general lack of commitment to a school and the concept of amateur athletes. That said, my wife treasures her experience as a student-athlete at Tech while on a partial scholarship and doesn’t agree student-athletes should be paid - NIL, directly, or otherwise. Nor do we go to professional sports because of the expense to support highly paid players, coaches, and organizations. We would rather spend our money elsewhere. It is a difficult decision. We love our time on the Flats cheering on the White and Gold as well as giving back for the opportunity my wife was given by Tech athletics. But we will no longer support an ever increasing shift towards professional college sports.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just read the AJC article about potential NCAA class action settlement including allowing student athletes to be paid directly from schools. My wife and have discussed this and our future plans. We’re both Tech alumni, she was a VB student athlete, we are season ticket holders for FB, MBB, and VB, we contribute to the A-T Fund as well as fulfilling a pledge for VB scholarship. We’re not mega-donors, but we believe we are good, faithful supporters. We’ve decided if student-athletes are paid directly and become athlete-employees, then we will no longer purchase season tickets, go to games, or support financially GTAA. I understand the athletes’ position - who can blame them given the amount of money in college sports, grossly overpaid coaches, conference re-alignments, and general lack of commitment to a school and the concept of amateur athletes. That said, my wife treasures her experience as a student-athlete at Tech while on a partial scholarship and doesn’t agree student-athletes should be paid - NIL, directly, or otherwise. Nor do we go to professional sports because of the expense to support highly paid players, coaches, and organizations. We would rather spend our money elsewhere. It is a difficult decision. We love our time on the Flats cheering on the White and Gold as well as giving back for the opportunity my wife was given by Tech athletics. But we will no longer support an ever increasing shift towards professional college sports.
My thoughts exactly. As a club sport player, I feel the same. The players are being paid six figures through their scholarships. That’s not chump change, and it has life-long benefits.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This happens and I'm out, as well. I feel the scholarship and education are adequate compensation for services rendered. I don't care about the inequity of what the student-athlete receives versus what is earned from the media contracts. I will not support the schools paying students to play. I struggled with the cost of attendance stipends, but I understand how that was used, so I could resolve that in my mind. It's similar to a GTA or a TA. When they actually pay the student-athletes, I'm done.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
GT alumni are a different breed than most college grads. GT’s AA donations and NIL contributions will be very low compared to most P4 colleges once this is settled. Players most likely will be paid directly for playing. High School NIL will be next.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This happens and I'm out, as well. I feel the scholarship and education are adequate compensation for services rendered. I don't care about the inequity of what the student-athlete receives versus what is earned from the media contracts. I will not support the schools paying students to play. I struggled with the cost of attendance stipends, but I understand how that was used, so I could resolve that in my mind. It's similar to a GTA or a TA. When they actually pay the student-athletes, I'm done.
It’s no longer college football at that point, it’s bush league pro, and it’s come very close already.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Gtaa already has low donations. With that and large debt the only way up is for school to align resources to keep gt relevant in sports.
Would not be enough to keep up w mega schools? Likely not.

Looking at SEC 24 forcast there bottom feeders have not changed and their to programs are the same. The also rans have shifted around. Alabama being 3rd w ole.
The real question is when will a bunch of the also rans turn into bottom feeders and greatly diminish the entertainment value of the ESPN SEC brand?

Is the BIG NERD CONFERENCE a slow road to gt football extinction or a place to abide while the dust settles.

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Simply put. Players should be employees and should be paid equal to what the market suggests. Not what some former alumni believe they should be paid. I will continue to support this transition and hope GT leads the way pushing for the players to be compensated by the school itself.

I also hope GT floods the football program with cash to let them compete with the top 10 teams in the country. This is the only way forward.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Simply put. Players should be employees and should be paid equal to what the market suggests. Not what some former alumni believe they should be paid. I will continue to support this transition and hope GT leads the way pushing for the players to be compensated by the school itself.

I also hope GT floods the football program with cash to let them compete with the top 10 teams in the country. This is the only way forward.
It is hard to see any other way forward, tbh. This or some form of it, at any rate. If someone was a skilled musician they would be allowed to earn money while in college. They usually get a scholarship as well. The difference is that the payment is from outside the college, not from the college itself. But then, college orchestras generally aren't paid to perform. But world class concert pianists are paid directly to perfrom.

If they were software wizards, they would be able to earn outside money. Again, not as college employees, though.

Sports are different in that TV pays huge sums to the colleges for the rights to televise games. I don't like the model of them being college employees though. Let them be compensated by the AA for each school based on their negotiations with the AA.

This would allow the best programs to dominate, just as happens in International soccer today. Conferences can do revenue sharing if they so decide, but colleges within each conference can raise money directly if they wish, just as Man United or Bayern Munchen can do (jersey sales, ticket prices, local events, etc)

It would indeed bury schools with lesser revenue, as happens today in international soccer. The only way past that is a single governing body as happens in MLB, NBA and NFL. Hard to see all the colleges out there accepting that model.

Maybe we'll go through a phase where we have the NFL vs. the AFL, or the NBA vs the ABA...rival leagues who have their own ways, rules, revenue streams etc. Then maybe a Super Bowl to decide the national champ....who knows?

The REAL issue is whether athletes will be allowed to compete for their college if they aren't enrolled in school. Who is to say "no" to that proposition if the AA for that university assents to it?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

This is certainly 1 person's opinion. Others will agree with you, but many will not. Sorry, if the schools want to be part of a professional minor league, then pull the bandaid off and make these university-supported academies and just hire whoever you want to. I'm okay with that. I'm not going to support a system where the money I'm sharing with my alma mater is going to pay kids to play a game. If I want to pay for that, I'll go see true professionals perform.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is certainly 1 person's opinion. Others will agree with you, but many will not. Sorry, if the schools want to be part of a professional minor league, then pull the bandaid off and make these university-supported academies and just hire whoever you want to. I'm okay with that. I'm not going to support a system where the money I'm sharing with my alma mater is going to pay kids to play a game. If I want to pay for that, I'll go see true professionals perform.
Yup. +1

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wonder what would happen if a salary cap was put on coaching staffs?

Before everyone rushes to explain why this would never happen or why it violates anti-trust laws, or that it’s against capitalism or the constitution or some other “we’re Tech; we can’t do that” argument, just entertain the thought experiment.

If coaches chose job openings based on the institution, the location or the community, it might start a ripple effect that would filter down to the student athletes. It might begin to curb some of the other excesses also. I have no problem with student athletes being compensated fairly for the value they bring to the school but the current arms race, in my opinion, starts at the top.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
For those in support of a free for all, free market, pay to play model, how would you feel about GT just signing a naming rights sponsorship deal with the Atlanta Falcons. That’s all this amounts to. Professional sports with absolutely no affiliation to colleges except in name. Except it’s even worse than professional sports because the college players can now change teams at will with impunity.

I’m sure there are very few fans of professional road cycling on here, but those teams literally change names every couple of years when sponsors change. Most fans are fans of individual cyclists rather than teams, because the teams are basically meaningless, and the individual cyclists change teams frequently.

In my mind, college sports are becoming meaningless, since players no longer have any affiliation to the colleges.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
this doesn’t change whether or not the players go to class or do homework, so meh from my PoV.

I’m curious what this would look like, and especially around if there’s a traditional CBA with a players union, and how would the salary cap be updated in the future, etc.

jbv1108

Georgia Tech Fan
giphy-downsized.gif

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow

Flood the program with cash…
I’ve advocated for significant stipends for football in particular, but when I was a GT prof (after retiring early as an entrepreneur) I knew all the top people and watched everyone scrambling for $$…universities have far less money laying around than you think. There is a reason the development people keep hitting on you if you’re successful. Yes I know all about endowments.

So where can this flood can originate from other than alum donors, and while GT alum can be generous on the academic side, we are somewhat famous for frugality with the AA, plus most of the alums my age think paying players is absurd. Our alums do very well, but we probably have fewer super wealthy alums than most big state universities. Maybe some creative corporate sponsorship scheme?

I guess we could raise student activity fees by an extra $1000/student/year. But I’ve heard more complaints from the kids (my kid at GT, their friends, my students) about the lack of good college bars adjacent to campus than about AA needing an upgrade.

I’m still doing The Tech Way and hoping for the best.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
That is exactly where GT struggles. Many uga alumni will give their last dollar on their deathbed to pay a kid if it means they win at football. At GT the donors want it a specific way and if those needs aren't met then dollars dry up. GT has GT (all things GT) supporters. uga has uga football supporters. GT NEEDS far more GT football supporters that make an impact. Ones that will go bankrupt pushing the team to a natty lol.