Hot seat

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm fairly certain that you all are pretty wrong if you think his seat isn't hot.
As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to wager pretty good money that Johnson has to win the Coastal division next year or it will be his last.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'm fairly certain that you all are pretty wrong if you think his seat isn't hot.
As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to wager pretty good money that Johnson has to win the Coastal division next year or it will be his last.

If he wins 7-8 games next year he will be safe. I want to win 10 games every year and beat the Dwags, but my opinion does not matter to the power brokers.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall anyone stating they are happy being .500 vs. FBS. The debate is whether CPJ is capable of turning it around and if there is reasonable hope for the future. Reasonable hope for the future is not the same as satisfaction with the results over last four years.

It's a related issue. "Reasonable hope for the future" has to be based on some historical fact--in other words past results. The past 4 years point to continued mediocrity, not "reasonable hope." Success at Ga Southern and Navy is not success in a BCS AQ conference--where he has zero prior experience. So where does the reasonable hope come from? Ted Roof is all I see, and if that's the case, Roof should be the guy with the 7 figure salary.

The bottom line is 1) money and 2) Bobinski has, at this point, been on the job less than a year, and has not shown himself to be a person who makes quick moves. Is that a hot seat? Probably a delayed one.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope he is not on the hot seat more than any other normal coach.

Good graduation rates and a winning record.
Competitive in our games
Waiting on the right prices to fall into place and have a ball bounce our way year.
We are not and neither do I want to have a year or years like Virginia.
Recruiting looks to be on an upswing.
Defense is looking better.
Special teams has improved.

I don't like not having a hurry up offense.
I wish we could mix up our tempos.
I want a QB that can effectively run our triple.
I want a healthy OL that can make it through spring and fall practice together.

We rehash the same things over and over. I would not call it an irrational hate of the man, but it does fit the term fan and fanatic.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think the good money u would wager is one of the reasons he will stay.he had good slate to play and seven wins is threshold to stay.cannot see money flowing to let him go.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's a related issue. "Reasonable hope for the future" has to be based on some historical fact--in other words past results. The past 4 years point to continued mediocrity, not "reasonable hope." Success at Ga Southern and Navy is not success in a BCS AQ conference--where he has zero prior experience. So where does the reasonable hope come from? Ted Roof is all I see, and if that's the case, Roof should be the guy with the 7 figure salary.

The bottom line is 1) money and 2) Bobinski has, at this point, been on the job less than a year, and has not shown himself to be a person who makes quick moves. Is that a hot seat? Probably a delayed one.

I agree past results should be considered. I think that's a major factor that no one would disagree with. The point in your prior post seemed to suggest that is the only factor.

Without rehashing the same pro-CPJ/against CPJ debate already in other threads, there have been numerous reasons for optimism cited beyond just Ted Roof. There have also been solid counter-arguments. The debate is about which factors should weigh more heavily. Sounds like you agree with that though based on your reply here.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Considering our recent performance against most of those, I doubt if a new coach/scheme would do worse.
Seems like with the big uns coming soon we either lose with what we have or we get another guy and lose .I dont think it makes that much difference either but if we are progressing on both sides of the ball we can certainly play with them.I just dont see a new coach taking our folks from a seven and five etc to the bottom in one year.Yes I do remember Carson taking over from Dodd and GOL taking over from Lewis and Ross having problems but feel we can win six to seven with most any coach.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
We have murderers row lined up to play us in 2015: ND, FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT and Uga. Good luck to a brand new coach with a brand new scheme.
You do remember my friend that PJ did well his first year with holdovers from Chan........might not that happen with new coach ? Only the Shadow knows !

Mack

Helluva Engineer
If he wins 7-8 games next year he will be safe. I want to win 10 games every year and beat the Dwags, but my opinion does not matter to the power brokers.[/quot He is safe.........no money to buy out his contract.....split loyalty on fans .........good teams to whip next year and pad the record and Hill saying nothing...I think he is safe.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I would hope it is getting warm to say the least......no matter what excuses are offered ,and there are many,we just seem to be seven and five due to the teams we play and are always one player away.....time to get it done.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
This site has been very accurate over the years at measuring the level of heat the coaches are under. By the way, I see that Johnson is now up to #13 on the hotseat list. That's probably because the UAB coach just quit to go work for Petrino at Louisville. Not sure where he was on the list, but I think he was above Johnson. So some have moved up a notch.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

We'll have a good shot at the Coastal next year if our QB play improves. We're in a competitive conference. We're not going to win the division every year. We were one ACC win away from winning the coastal this year...a little bit better QB play and we probably get it...I'm pretty happy with the fact that we compete to win the division EVERY year!

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Totally agree and throw in a win versus ugag. His seat is en fuego. Especially with those that have the financial means to make him go away.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you look at it, CPJ was close to winning 10 games this season...a few breaks here and there against VT, UGA, and Ole Miss and we could be 10-3.

Of course, Bobinski can look at it and say "I'm confident MY guy can come in and get us over those humps so we can win games like VT, UGA, and Ole Miss that gets GT to 9-10 wins" That's basically what it boils down to if you're gonna keep the coach or let the coach go. Is the AD confident that the current guy can improve enough to get us past those humps in those games? Or is does he think "his guy" will do a better job given those opportunities. Just me, but most ADs are usually confident enough to think they can improve the situation...afterall, that's what they're hired to do.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Guys do you think that the AD will let PJ go with the bank accounts at Tech so low ? nope think PJ is safe until the big money backers demand changes..Next year he will be seven and five easy and probably with luck better than that.I think bottom line is have the fans had enough since its clear this board is divided over PJ and his offense.Not sure Bobinski has enough time to gather bunch of influence with the program but its good to see he understands something is afoot at tech that needs working on.