Hornets & Yellow Jackets

slugboy

Staff member
Don’t feel bad, it wasn’t on, unless it was transferred over to the ACCNX.
Tuned in at 6 p.m. and Syr. WBB were clubbing the B.C. ladies 40-21 in the 2Q.
It was on ACCN. Several of us watched it.
The game was a single digit lead until the second half, when the lead blew open.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We didn't look all the greater dominant the first half, and even partially through the first couple of minutes of the second half. Then the lid came off and we took off and took over.
Good news is that basically everyone comment I mean everyone got to play.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-220237.jpg
    Screenshot_20201220-220237.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 43

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Jose and Moses might be my favorite duo in GT basketball history. Watching them develop the past 4 years has just been really enjoyable and ultimately what I like college basketball more than the pros. It's going to be a very weird feeling not having them here.
The Jo-Mo show.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Jose and Moses might be my favorite duo in GT basketball history. Watching them develop the past 4 years has just been really enjoyable and ultimately what I like college basketball more than the pros. It's going to be a very weird feeling not having them here.
If I win the mega millions, I’m dropping a bag off to both of them to come back one more year! Lol. Gonna be an entirely different team without them next season. If they chose to not use the free year.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Fun game to watch, and nice to see us put an inferior team away. In my opinion, we were playing down to them in the first half and let them hang around, but once Jose put his foot down, we took over.

Nice to Maxwell and the big guys get some significant minutes. We are going to need them. I think Howard and Saba can sub in and not kill the team, and we need to be getting them 5-10 minutes a game. Saba is a better rebounder, but Howard is more athletic and physically ready to play. Neither are much of a threat on offense.

Best thing about the game was the early passing. Usher plays out of control at times, but he has good vision and makes sharp passes.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Fun game, was able to acquire a ticket and see what the in person experience was like. Ended up with great seats mid court. Didn't realize they were pumping in fake crowd noise in person. It sounds terrible. Would have preferred they didn't do that so it would have been easier to hear Pastner and the Delaware St Coach yelling. There was an ornament giveaway so that was unexpected and nice. Only a few socially distanced contests during timeouts.

With the small attendance, the jumbotron camera guys were pretty bored and didn't have a lot to work with. Lots of shots of folks on their phones and at one point they resorted to shots of people in line at concessions.

Jose got a lot of easy buckets and played well. The all-oop to Moses was sweet. The starters did what they needed to do to get pulled with 10:00 to go. Bench group struggled but Howard made a case to get more minutes than Saba did. Wanted to see Maxwell make some shots but I think they'll come as he knocks off the rust. Always great to see the walkons get in.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I win the mega millions, I’m dropping a bag off to both of them to come back one more year! Lol. Gonna be an entirely different team without them next season. If they chose to not use the free year.
I don't know how well Wright is doing toward a degree, but I think he could benefit from another year playing. Hopefully his academics align with basketball such that he can stay.

I read that Jose is a Dean's list student. If he is planning on getting a Masters degree, having it paid for at GT would be nice.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how well Wright is doing toward a degree, but I think he could benefit from another year playing. Hopefully his academics align with basketball such that he can stay.

I read that Jose is a Dean's list student. If he is planning on getting a Masters degree, having it paid for at GT would be nice.
That’s pretty damn impressive for Jose. To balance basketball, classes and a new born and be deans list?!!! That’s bigger accomplishment than anything in basketball! I played juco ball and a year of D2 while having a kid at 19 and had to quit basketball because it was too much to balance.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fun game to watch, and nice to see us put an inferior team away. In my opinion, we were playing down to them in the first half and let them hang around, but once Jose put his foot down, we took over.

Nice to Maxwell and the big guys get some significant minutes. We are going to need them. I think Howard and Saba can sub in and not kill the team, and we need to be getting them 5-10 minutes a game. Saba is a better rebounder, but Howard is more athletic and physically ready to play. Neither are much of a threat on offense.

Best thing about the game was the early passing. Usher plays out of control at times, but he has good vision and makes sharp passes.

I thought that the first half was close since Delaware was making 3's from 10 feet outside the arc. In the second half, once they started missing and we scored like 15 straight possessions it was just a boat race. Very enjoyable.

Just wish we'd have worked on getting our backup QBs experience like Pastner did last night:oops:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Fun game, was able to acquire a ticket and see what the in person experience was like. Ended up with great seats mid court. Didn't realize they were pumping in fake crowd noise in person. It sounds terrible. Would have preferred they didn't do that so it would have been easier to hear Pastner and the Delaware St Coach yelling. There was an ornament giveaway so that was unexpected and nice. Only a few socially distanced contests during timeouts.

With the small attendance, the jumbotron camera guys were pretty bored and didn't have a lot to work with. Lots of shots of folks on their phones and at one point they resorted to shots of people in line at concessions.

Jose got a lot of easy buckets and played well. The all-oop to Moses was sweet. The starters did what they needed to do to get pulled with 10:00 to go. Bench group struggled but Howard made a case to get more minutes than Saba did. Wanted to see Maxwell make some shots but I think they'll come as he knocks off the rust. Always great to see the walkons get in.

I despise the pumped in crowd noise. Sound like crap on TV and you verified it does in the stands too.

slugboy

Staff member
It played out like the reverse of our losses to the big teams two years ago, where we would keep it close until 3/4ths through the game, and the other team would pull away. It’s what a better team is supposed to do

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It was on ACCN. Several of us watched it.
The game was a single digit lead until the second half, when the lead blew open.
We got 26 points off of turnovers and 30 off fast breaks. The difference over DS's totals in those 2 categories almost exactly equals the difference. I watched the second half when we pulled away and it was based on turnovers from the zone and breakouts to the basket / open shot. It was good to see them push the ball and look for open shots off the break. I think they need to do more of that recognizing that DS gave them a lot more opportunities than an ACC team will. Still need to find 3 or 4 easy/easier baskets per game than we get now when we get to the ACC.

My one beyotch - and I am the first to admit it is nitpicking - is I wish they had installed some new stuff to force feed Devoe 3 point shots. They may have in the first half and I just missed it but the box score doesn't show it. Regardless, good win and glad to see Jose have as much fun as he was having during the game.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This was the type of game I expected with this Sr team. We actually could have had better than the 30 pt prediction win.
The good news--the new guys got a good 10 minutes of play time.The bad news--if all Srs leave after this "free" yr ,this team is in serious trouble next yr.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
Usher played well. If he gets under control and quits shooting threes he could be another McHenry. If he could consistently hit threes, he could be really good.

Bob

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

He could make a nice living playing overseas

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
It was good to get the young guys some burn. It is going to take some time for Saba and Rodney. James Banks had a redshirt season after transferring. These guys have only been here a few months. Pastner admitted that the non contact practices probably hindered their development as well. Saba needs to play stronger. Right now he is pretty weak with the ball. As he gets stronger and more experienced he should be able to finish better down low. I think both big guys will improve significantly by next year.
You can tell Maxwell has been out for a while. Pastner mentioned he has been out since July and has only been practicing full court for about a week. It will take him a while to get back in shape and get his legs back. He will also need to learn where he fits in the offense and defense. It may be a few more weeks for him to earn any consistent playing time.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

If Wright continues playing at the level he has so far i highly doubt he comes back next year. He is showing enough to NBA scouts to get a shot, at the very least in the g league. I don't think Jose comes back next year either. With the family situation he may want to start making some money, probably overseas.