****hole Countries

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Trump’s biggest problem is he is nowhere near as accomplished a liar as politicians of both parties have historically been. Blame Benghazi on an internet video? No big deal. Curse when speaking about certain countries on immigration? He’s a racist! This smacks too much of crying “racist” anytime someone criticized Obama. I guess everyone wishes Trump would simply learn to lie much more effectively......(to be fair, he could also make his points more eloquently without resorting to cursing), but hey, he has to be the most transparent President we’ve ever had!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'd feel better if they'd say, as you said, "Heeey the market's up improvements are being made job-wise but man I wish this dude would act like a President and not a petty, impulsive child."

Instead, it's like, "Wait y'all don't like something he did? WELL THEN I LUV IT, .

Not meaning to poke at you, but have you really heard someone say that? I know many Trump supporters but have yet to hear a real live person take that attitude. Most I know take more of the “yeah, he’s a jerk....but we kinda knew that already and as long as what he *does* works out OK, then we’re OK with that (sorta, kinda).”

I *have* heard a Trump folks attribute black voting patterns to that motivation (in reverse), but i’d rather listen to some of my black friends rather than accept such speculation.

Deleted member 2897

Not meaning to poke at you, but have you really heard someone say that? I know many Trump supporters but have yet to hear a real live person take that attitude. Most I know take more of the “yeah, he’s a jerk....but we kinda knew that already and as long as what he *does* works out OK, then we’re OK with that (sorta, kinda).”

I *have* heard a Trump folks attribute black voting patterns to that motivation (in reverse), but i’d rather listen to some of my black friends rather than accept such speculation.

That jives with what I heard. I tried to get people to vote 3rd party, with little luck. I am surrounded by Trump country in SC and I don't know anybody that thinks Trump is a good person. They voted for him in spite of that, because they agree with his positions. They think a corporate tax cut will help us stop hemorrhaging jobs. They think having 30 million illegal immigrants over the last couple decades has provided a massive oversupply of labor in the working class and has suppressed wages there...so slowing that down as much as possible will help. And so on.

We are on the verge of something not seen in our lifetime, which is a sitting President getting primaried. You can bet its going to happen, and it will be entertaining to watch. Personally, I hope its one of his own folks, like Nikki Haley. I think there are plenty of people that like most of his policies but that don't act like idiots 24/7.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And how could you know the context? Trump’s word? Not calling you out but i’d like to see your source. No matter the context those were horrible, racist and unpresidential statements, i’m really not sure why anyone would try to defend him on this one.

Here’s more confirmation from a republican

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...sen-graham-confirmed-trumps-reported-****hole

Well, it's pretty clear that you're the one who judges countries by skin color and ethnicity. Otherwise, he's just bad mouthing other countries.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
MAGA: There have been some interesting takes on what it means on this thread and I have to be honest I have not thought of it from some different perspectives. But basically it boils down to ones personal opinion as to what it means.

When I first heard it, I really liked it. My career is in designing and manufacturing products here in the US. A strong manufacturing economy leads to a lot of good middle class jobs, which is very good for this country. America used to be a huge manufacturing behemoth that no other country could compare to, but we have lost most of that for a number of different reasons. Trump being a business guy (though not in manufacturing), I felt like MAGA all started with being very pro business and try to incent companies to move/keep jobs here.

This is my opinion of what I took it to mean.
Bottom line it is all about business. To have a properly functioning country we have to have a strong middle class, otherwise we are in for a continued slow spiral down. A middle class not created by government jobs. So we need to make the middle class mean something again. Most people I know who look at MAGA favorable, their opinion is all about creating and sustaining a workable economy not about going back to any stupid racial divide.

MAGA: But I can see where some people could see it as racist. I could also see where some people could latch onto it as a different/wrong type of making America great again, which reinforces the opinion that it is raciest. so from that opinion, it is raciest and I can respect their opinion.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
MAGA: There have been some interesting takes on what it means on this thread and I have to be honest I have not thought of it from some different perspectives. But basically it boils down to ones personal opinion as to what it means.

When I first heard it, I really liked it. My career is in designing and manufacturing products here in the US. A strong manufacturing economy leads to a lot of good middle class jobs, which is very good for this country. America used to be a huge manufacturing behemoth that no other country could compare to, but we have lost most of that for a number of different reasons. Trump being a business guy (though not in manufacturing), I felt like MAGA all started with being very pro business and try to incent companies to move/keep jobs here.

This is my opinion of what I took it to mean.
Bottom line it is all about business. To have a properly functioning country we have to have a strong middle class, otherwise we are in for a continued slow spiral down. A middle class not created by government jobs. So we need to make the middle class mean something again. Most people I know who look at MAGA favorable, their opinion is all about creating and sustaining a workable economy not about going back to any stupid racial divide.

MAGA: But I can see where some people could see it as racist. I could also see where some people could latch onto it as a different/wrong type of making America great again, which reinforces the opinion that it is raciest. so from that opinion, it is raciest and I can respect their opinion.

Fwiw, I don't know anybody who has embraced MAGA out of racism rather than economic nationalism and respect for citizens with traditional values.

I also doubt those who think it's racist know any such person either but point to the fringe haters in Cville.

I thought it was a trite slogan and voted for Trump primarily as a vote against Hillary. However, while I find his style and language grating, I think he's doing better than I expected.

I also think some people just want to keep the country as divided as possible.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It IS interesting to me that there seems to be a double standard going on (I guess that's always true, but geez....). NFL players protest and many conservatives take offense because they believe it is disrespectful to the flag and our military. Progressives say "no, that's not what they mean...it means protesting racial inequality in our society". I understand, but why is it that one aside...or the other...gets to decide what it means when someone does something. Maybe MAGA is NOT racist if the folks who support don't mean it that way. And maybe NFL protests are NOT disrespectful if the players don't mean it that way. And maybe we should take people at their word about what they mean when they say it and not let mass media define these thing for us on either side....

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe he could clarify what MAGA means, but that would probably be too much to ask..

It's not surprising but just disappointing that so many are just OK with this level of bigotry, xenophobia, and pure ignorance displayed within the nations highest position. This is epitome of white supremacy and the reaction outside of non whites is basically oh well.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He's denying he 'used those words' I guess.

The fact of the matter is though, even if he didn't say exactly what many are saying he did, no one would be surprised if he did actually say what's being attributed to him. That's the problem in and of itself, right?

Lastly, I've nearly given up on getting outraged about any of it. All I'm learning is there's a large percentage of the population that's apparently been waiting for someone in power to openly speak/act as he does.

It's genuinely scary. What have people been saying in private all these years when we thought we were progressing towards some kind of unity?
Man, you NAILED IT.

You’re absolutely right. He may have not said THAT, but it was within hand grenade range.

You’re seeing PC armageddon. We’ve divided ourselves to such an extent that every slight, real or perceived results in a bunch of back & forth like this. Only difference is the Maniac just doesn’t squirt some gas on the PC fire, he pumps a whole truckload on every smoldering pile. On one side is the folks looking to be outraged & the other the ones taking delight at poking them relentlessly.

You’re correct on the private conversations. The PC police drove this behavior underground. Phrases were adopted into people’s lexicon so that those conversations could be had without being labeled. It is just more of the same.

Lastly, the soft bigotry of low expectations has dominated our government and liberal movement since Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society. It started as a noble cause, but has evolved over the last 50yrs to drive people into a cycle of failure they couldn’t escape. We needed these programs to help people, but whispered in the corner is the people they’re supposed to be helping are “not smart enough to compete even without an extreme amount of assistance”. It’s a very insidious form of racism & far worse than the dumb redneck type in my opinion.

I jokingly posted on this board this election was between the Maniac & the Mannequin, but I really wasn’t kidding. This was a horrible election cycle. I am surprised the Maniac has as good of economic policies as he has had. His foreign policy had been shockingly better than expected if you can beat past the rhetoric which is hard. On the other hand many of his “proclamations” are as rotten as I could have ever imagined. It’s startling how dumb he can be given his demonstrated smarts in economics and foreign affairs.

I’ll end with I’ve heard this type of language in the White House, but not from the side you’d think & it was directed at our own citizens and military. I wasn’t supposed to be there & got a unique look under the hood so to speak. It’s really disgusting what the elites believe.

This country REALLY needs to get back to our founding principles and restore law & order. We need to get past our history, endeavor to improve ourselves, and allow the constitutional principles of freedom & liberty to enable our great nation to prosper & continue to be the envy of the world. We need a Leader that can get us there. I see none and that’s a huge problem for our country. God Bless America! We need it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe he could clarify what MAGA means, but that would probably be too much to ask..

It's not surprising but just disappointing that so many are just OK with this level of bigotry, xenophobia, and pure ignorance displayed within the nations highest position. This is epitome of white supremacy and the reaction outside of non whites is basically oh well.

You mean the bigotry of saying a critique of Haiti must be based on race?

No one here approves of bigotry and xenophobia. Some disagree with a simplistic reaction that calls the other side evil for policy differences.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You mean the bigotry of saying a critique of Haiti must be based on race?

No one here approves of bigotry and xenophobia. Some disagree with a simplistic reaction that calls the other side evil for policy differences.

Calling any place a ****hole is hardly a critique. Not to mention he didn't only mention Haiti. He called Haiti, El Salvador, and other African Nations ****holes per Lindsey Graham. Hmmmmmmm.

You know places he didn't mention? Russia or any poverty stricken Eastern European nation (who happen to have mafias of there own, especially in NYC) like his college dropout of a wife country, Slovenia.

Yeah, OK.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Calling any place a ****hole is hardly a critique. Not to mention he didn't only mention Haiti. He called Haiti, El Salvador, and other African Nations ****holes per Lindsey Graham. Hmmmmmmm.

You know places he didn't mention? Russia or any poverty stricken Eastern European nation (who happen to have mafias of there own, especially in NYC) like his college dropout of a wife country, Slovenia.

Yeah, OK.

Fwiw, all the former Soviet States are lumped in with Europe in the lottery. We don't know the context of the comments, but it seems the issue was the diversity lottery which favors diversity for its own sake vs the White House proposal of merit based immigration policy.

The height of bigotry is dismissing another's perspective without caring about understanding their point.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, all the former Soviet States are lumped in with Europe in the lottery. We don't know the context of the comments, but it seems the issue was the diversity lottery which favors diversity for its own sake vs the White House proposal of merit based immigration policy.

The height of bigotry is dismissing another's perspective without caring about understanding their point.

Please don't justify his behavior. There is no room for the comments. Denial and dismissal makes not only complicit in racism but racist themselves.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah, OK.

You know what countries he also did not mention? South Africa. Brazil. Argentina.

Trump is a vulgar buffoon. I’ll never vote for him. But for Gods sake let’s be serious. There are lots of ****hole countries in this world. We should not be letting millions of people come here by random lottery. Even the most dirt poor and uneducated people can be great Americans. But they need family here, or some resources, or a drive and a plan. Those people get a thumbs up. A person picked at random who doesn’t? What’s the point? We have proven through illegal immigration that if we flood the working class with tens of millions of extra people, it will suppress wages. So why should we keep doing that?

Democrats want an endless string of people dependent upon the government. Lifelong Democrat voters. That’s why. You can look up refugee and other immigration data. There are some sections of the world where several years after arriving over 90% are still on public assistance.

Democrats yell racism at every policy difference, because that’s how they intimidate people into submission and silence.

And you in your last sentence in the latest quote essentially do the same thing. The Boy Who Cried Racism.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Please don't justify his behavior. There is no room for the comments. Denial and dismissal makes not only complicit in racism but racist themselves.

I'm not justifying vulgarity. I'm saying your charge of racism and xenophobia is baseless based on what's been reported.

You may think that the only reason certain countries have corrupt governments which cannot provide a healthy society for their citizens is their ethnicity. That's on you.

We are celebrating Dr King in a few days. I hope you ponder the dream of being able to judge people, and countries, by the content of their character and not just the color of their skin. You're on the wrong side of history when you suggest content of character can't be judged because you only look at skin color.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Major tourism surge upcoming in Kinshasa, Mogadishu, Lagos, etc along with Port-Au-Prince and San Salvador. I can see all those outraged booking their trips now to support the cause! They’re lovely garden spots to take the wife & kids on vacation.

This is patently false and absurd. No one, even the most liberal person on this board, wants to travel to ****hole countries.