Historic NFL team for CPJ's Offense

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
If I remember correctly didnt the 85 bears score two of their Super Bowl touchdowns on what was essentially the triple option.

The first was a read in which Jim McMahon faked the pitch to Walter Payton and turned the corner for the score, and the second was essentially a b back handoff to the fridge.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Talent everywhere on those teams. A question though. Are you talking early 70's or late? Not that you would have to choose but just wondering. If late then would you try to use Dorsett as the B back or put him as an A. If you put him as your a back who would you use as your back? Newhouse? You would also have the advantage of using Danny White as a back up qb. Early though you could have Dan Reaves as your back up qb/ a back.
Calvin Hill at BBack. Craig Baynham and Elvin Hayes at ABack.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
The Carolina Panther's offense would be lethal. Cam at QB; Jonathan Stewart, Cameron Artis-Payne, and Mike Tolbert as our backs; Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, and Stephen Hill at WR. Total domination!!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
IMO vick not big enough to do this O in the NFL for a season; but would be a good start or backup/partial player.

Cam Newton a good choice IMO; interesting to see how a guy like Tebow would do as a backup? i think steve young would be good but he was fraile; concussion issues even in the pocket..I think Favre would have been good if he was just in this offense his career, he was mobile, tough. He would be interesting to see; we think of some of these guys as QBs traditional, but what would a mobile guy like Favre be in this O if this is all he did?

BB - who would be better to find and slam a hole than John Riggins?? Or even Jim Brown.
AB - A perfect AB is a blocker and shifty guy...Barry Sanders at one end; can you imagine Barry Sanders in AB space getting pitch WOW
AB - I would put Walter Peyton at the other AB spot...not as shifty, but tough, could do it all.
WR - randy moss hands down
WR - Calvin Johnson for sure

OT - Anthony Munoz
OG - Randall McDaniel
C - Matthews
OG - Larry Allen, big guy, but in this O would lose some of that weight and be devastating
OT - Jason Peters, super athletic, still playing but would be awesome

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
2002 Tampa Bay Bucs. With a change at QB, they had a guy by the name of Joe. I can't remember his last name maybe somebody here saw him play in college The A-train at BB and Pittman at AB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Cowboys with Staubach at QB.
I liked this because when the question was asked I immediately thought of those Landry teams which had multiple sets on the offensive line. As much as they moved around and changed sets I do not remember that line ever being off side or false starting. They moved as a unit with precision and were very mobile.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
2008 Jaguars. Garrard under center with Fred Taylor at BBack, Maurice Jones-Drew and Mike Thomas at ABack, that backfield would be filthy.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
For a current team, I could see the Chiefs being pretty good and EXTREMELY fast. Alex Smith could run it, with Jamaal Charles at BB, De'Anthony Thomas and Knile Davis at AB, and Maclin and Conley at WR to take the top off defenses. That would be some ridiculous speed. Only thing I question is Charles being a little undersized at BB, but you could probably switch him and Davis. I'd just want Charles getting the ball more. They also have a rookie Tyreek Hill who may be the fastest football player ever (not kidding) and could play AB or WR.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Marshall Faulk instead of Dunn. But outside of that you've got something special there.

totally forgot about Faulk. He would be perfect too...probably better due to pass catching than Peyton or Sanders...so you could replace either one of them in my list.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I liked this because when the question was asked I immediately thought of those Landry teams which had multiple sets on the offensive line. As much as they moved around and changed sets I do not remember that line ever being off side or false starting. They moved as a unit with precision and were very mobile.
That was my first thought as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the hit Vad Lee took at UNC in 2013, I've yet to see any of our QBs take a pounding on an OPTION play. Even then, it seemed like he jus flat out didn't see the LB. The hardest hit I saw JeT take was in 2013 against Miami when he was dropping back to pass (it knocked him out of the game). I'd say 95%+ of the time, the tackler never gets a square hit on our QB. The worst injuries I've seen during an option play were dirty...Nesbitt against UGA when the tackler rolled his knee on purpose, and JeT against Duke when the DB twisted his ankle.

For the most part, if the QB plays smart (see Russell Wilson), the physical toll on running the option is over exaggerated. QBs running the option can protect themselves, or minimize the hit. Dropback passers in pro system take the worst hit at QB that I've ever seen because they can't protect themselves.

Tebow would have been a great QB in our offense. He wasn't fast, but he was quick in short spaces...quick enough to make the first guy miss and get 5-10+ yards after the read. We don't run sophisticated route combos, therefore is hesitation getting the ball out would have been minimized. Oh, it also helps that he was like 230-240 lbs at 6'3.

Cam is probably the prototype for QBs if this offense was run in the NFL. Size, speed, passing ability, toughness...I shudder to think what CPJ could do with a QB like Cam Newton. Hopefully we see it with Lucas Johnson.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Outside of the hit Vad Lee took at UNC in 2013, I've yet to see any of our QBs take a pounding on an OPTION play. Even then, it seemed like he jus flat out didn't see the LB. The hardest hit I saw JeT take was in 2013 against Miami when he was dropping back to pass (it knocked him out of the game). I'd say 95%+ of the time, the tackler never gets a square hit on our QB. The worst injuries I've seen during an option play were dirty...Nesbitt against UGA when the tackler rolled his knee on purpose, and JeT against Duke when the DB twisted his ankle.

For the most part, if the QB plays smart (see Russell Wilson), the physical toll on running the option is over exaggerated. QBs running the option can protect themselves, or minimize the hit. Dropback passers in pro system take the worst hit at QB that I've ever seen because they can't protect themselves.

Tebow would have been a great QB in our offense. He wasn't fast, but he was quick in short spaces...quick enough to make the first guy miss and get 5-10+ yards after the read. We don't run sophisticated route combos, therefore is hesitation getting the ball out would have been minimized. Oh, it also helps that he was like 230-240 lbs at 6'3.

Cam is probably the prototype for QBs if this offense was run in the NFL. Size, speed, passing ability, toughness...I shudder to think what CPJ could do with a QB like Cam Newton. Hopefully we see it with Lucas Johnson.

This was one of, if not the best, aspect to Tevin's game. He had an uncanny ability in avoiding big hits, while still getting an extra yard or two with great ball-security.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Another team I was thinking about was late 80's and early 90's Oiler's. They were already a run and shoot team you put 2 of your smaller wrs as a backs and you could have Lorenzo White or Mike Rozier as your b back. I remember Moon being pretty athletic but maybe not at that point in his carrier. The also had a decent o-line.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking of the 2000 Vikings as well. Culpepper would be amazing, with Robert Smith at BB and Moss/Carter at WR. Hell you could just put the quickest athletes at AB and you'd be fine there. Culpepper would be a monster in the triple option, and the other guys it doesn't even need to be said.