Hey X's and O's guys

grb916

Georgia Tech Fan
PJ said as much in the post-game presser. It was counter option from Inverted Trips. If I thought about it maybe I could figure it out but PJ only pulls out the Inverted Trips formation for our 2-pt conversions.
I remember a game against FSU (I think it may have been the '09 lightning delay game) where we heavily used Inverted Trips with the A-back split wide motion in, similar to Monday's 2PC try. Only other time I remember seeing it used to heavily.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Apparently a counter built off a pick play we've used for 2pt conversions before, so Paul thought they might have prepared for it and would catch them off guard. Still, if Taquon cut more outside and led the defender to the block and/or pitched to Benson we'd likely have won the game. Just executed poorly and Taquon had it in his mind that the game was his to win, which up until that play was basically true. Personally I think we should have ran a play from the normal offense. Might have been more comfortable to execute.

But hindsight is 20/20. Sucks to lose on an execution error when we were rolling.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember a game against FSU (I think it may have been the '09 lightning delay game) where we heavily used Inverted Trips with the A-back split wide motion in, similar to Monday's 2PC try. Only other time I remember seeing it used to heavily.

If you're referring to the 2009 "Dadgum Wishbone" game in Tallahassee, that was not inverted trips, that was our basic trips formation with "Crazy" motion (as stylee calls it in his playbook parlance).

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I was a bit impressed with the surge the OL had. I can't recall seeing a surge like that all last year. If we did, it was not a common thing.
I was similarly impressed. I was at the game, and I remember thinking after a play--many times--"dang, we only got 2 or 3 yards there". Then, I'd be surprised to find out that it was actually a 5-6 yard gain. My mistake was in gauging our gain based on where the tackle was made relative to our OL. Thing is, in all those cases the whole OL ended 3-4 yards past the LOS.