Hey X's and O's guys

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How many teams play smash mouth as well as we do. Our OL block nasty, our AB block nasty m, our BB block nasty...our WR actually make blocks (watch out for that....craaaack)

I love how hard nosed our team is. Lots of teams have hard nosed Ds...few have hard nosed Os....we do.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How many teams play smash mouth as well as we do. Our OL block nasty, our AB block nasty m, our BB block nasty...our WR actually make blocks (watch out for that....craaaack)

I love how hard nosed our team is. Lots of teams have hard nosed Ds...few have hard nosed Os....we do.

Yes. Our mindset on O is to attack the D. Like on D u attack the O. We come at you, we dont wait and zone and switch. Its like defense on offense. One reason why paul likes DL on the OL.

Bedford. Cooper. Lee. None were OL. i am sure there are more....

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Our mindset on O is to attack the D. Like on D u attack the O. We come at you, we dont wait and zone and switch. Its like defense on offense. One reason why paul likes DL on the OL.

Bedford. Cooper. Lee. None were OL. i am sure there are more....
Also why everyone says we're dirty. People aren't used to the offense punching you in the gut.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, here's our bread and butter plus the two main Belly plays:
upload_2017-8-31_20-10-18.png

That's the Veer, our basic triple option. Here's the Belly:

upload_2017-8-31_20-11-38.png

That's a straight give. Here's the Belly Option, a double option:

upload_2017-8-31_20-12-39.png

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I can rarely tell what play exactly was run live...just recognize who pulled where and which defenders were put on their asses. I have to watch replays to see more intricacies. I'd sure hate to try and defend it on the field. Soon as you start making headway you get blindsided by a shift in play call.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can rarely tell what play exactly was run live...just recognize who pulled where and which defenders were put on their asses. I have to watch replays to see more intricacies. I'd sure hate to try and defend it on the field. Soon as you start making headway you get blindsided by a shift in play call.

On d your assignments dont change much. Dodging blockers does. And read keys do.

Thats why so many opposing coaches stress not peaking etc. its hard man. So hard. Your assignments vs our o are so different than vs ncaa typical o.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The belly series by the way is what Parker Braun was born for. That kid is Hell on Wheels pulling to the outside
Yep. His speed and athleticism are unusually good for an interior lineman. I still maintain that if it were me. Big IF I know, but bear with me here. I would bring my best athlete usually a safety and shoot those gaps until Tech did something to stop it. I would be damned if I would let those A backs run wild on pitches as that will get your defense killed. I would make the quarterback beat me either running or passing. But that is just me. Of course, when you got players like Clemson and Miami its much easier to mix and match tactics. Other teams are usually left with some pretty bad choices.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
On d your assignments dont change much. Dodging blockers does. And read keys do.

Thats why so many opposing coaches stress not peaking etc. its hard man. So hard. Your assignments vs our o are so different than vs ncaa typical o.

It is a level of difficulty that is difficult for fans to grasp. Defending this offense makes defenders do things that run totally contrary to their instincts. So often, I will see a defense play us well for perhaps a quarter and then the self discipline starts to break down and defenders fall into their old habits of free lancing trying to make a big play and instead they give up the big play. As Coach Bowden once said: "Dadgum wishbone..."

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The Belly series has increasingly been an important part of our offense. We ran it a lot in the Orange Bowl, including (I think) Days' long run tip-toeing on the sideline.

I also suspect since there is no mesh, it's easier to execute early in the season for a new QB.

/

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The belly series is easy to ID. Its the only one where our QB "spins" completely around at the snap. If you see the QB do that its going to be a dive or a "double" option to the outside. Of course we probably have a play action pass off that too.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I would bring my best athlete usually a safety and shoot those gaps until Tech did something to stop it. I would be damned if I would let those A backs run wild on pitches as that will get your defense killed.

I've been wondering about that. Duke did that to us a couple of years ago with their awesome safety Cash. Awful game, sat in the rain all day... Anyway. He shot the gaps all dam day and blew us up. I think we finally tightened the line late and made some headway, but I couldn't tell what changes we made to counteract that defense. Any ideas? What do you run to beat a safety who's living in your backfield?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This will sound dirty but if i was the coach and had one player destroying the Offense like Cash did i would design a play or blocking scheme to take his *** OUT, or at least take the fire out of him...

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The belly series sort of functions like the old Nebraska option I in that the dive is called or not and it only requires the quarterback to make one read much later and much slower.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been wondering about that. Duke did that to us a couple of years ago with their awesome safety Cash. Awful game, sat in the rain all day... Anyway. He shot the gaps all dam day and blew us up. I think we finally tightened the line late and made some headway, but I couldn't tell what changes we made to counteract that defense. Any ideas? What do you run to beat a safety who's living in your backfield?

I'm sure there's a better answer but first thing I would try is play-action out of our base set with the BB assigned to block the blitzing safety. Have both A backs run go routes or like a go and a corner. Only read QB has to make is which AB the deep safety is taking. Unless they have insanely fast linebackers the ABs will blow right by them. Have the WR run a post or dig route crossing in front of the corner route AB. On the other side the AB and WR both run go's.

If anything it'd just be a check the QB could use at will. If safety is showing blitz and all up on the line then he's not going to make it back into coverage of either AB. I could be wrong, but seems like with a 5 step drop, 1 thousand 1, QB should be turning it loose cause someone is going to be open. You're putting 4 recievers into a secondary with only 3 defenders.