Here's a thought

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Another example is William Alexander, who was the last Tech coach to have four straight losing seasons, and he survived it.
But the year before the losing streak, he went 10-0 and won the national championship.
It's the cumulative effect.
Yep, it's called earned good will, of which Geoff has none.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
5-7?
Call the moving van company, Geoff. You're toast. No grits, no scattered, smothered and covered, no bacon, no All-American breakfast. Not even a sweet tea for the road.
Just toast.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Clemson- L (looks close)
WCU- W
Ole Miss- L (we don’t embarrass ourselves)
UCF- L (close game, away)
Pitt- L (close game)
Duke- W
UVA- W
FSU- W
VT- L (close game)
Miami- L (close game)
UNC- W
uGA- L (score 20+ points)

If something like this happens, imo as much as the Collins haters may be right that he won’t ever get us to elite status, monetarily it makes more sense to keep him. Coastal should still be a crapshoot, if Clemson, UCF, Pitt, Miami are winnable games where we just fall short, that’s a decent trend for me.
Clemson - L. And ugly. They may hold us under 150 yards of offense.
WCU - W. Maybe
Ole Miss - L. They put up 50.
UCF - L. They put up 40
Pitt - L. By double digits. And this is our first trip to Pitt in the CGC era. They've done all their damage against us at Grant Field.
Duke - W. I hope.
UVa - L. Another field day for Armstrong. Maybe coming off a bye week will help.
FSU - L.
VT - L. Geoff couldn't beat Fuente. What makes anyone think he'll beat Pry?
Miami - L. The only thing that may keep this close is Miami doing Miami things.
UNC - L
UGa - L. By 20 plus points.

This could be a historically ugly season. I hope it isn't. But I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise at this point.

JacketFan137

Banned
WCU - W. Maybe
UCF - L. They put up 40
Pitt - L. By double digits. And this is our first trip to Pitt in the CGC era. They've done all their damage against us at Grant Field.
Duke - W. I hope.
UVa - L. Another field day for Armstrong. Maybe coming off a bye week will help.
FSU - L.
UNC - L

This could be a historically ugly season. I hope it isn't. But I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise at this point.
love the optimism lol

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know what Garrett's feelings were after the 2017 season but there is a pretty big difference in winning 5 games after a 9 win season vs winning 5 games after 9 wins in three years. If Collins wants to win 9 this year with a win over UGA and 5 next year im sure the conversation will be different.
I partially agree, if we’re looking at two year stints alone there’s not much I can do to defend last year’s performance, nor do I want to.

However, if we expand the stint to 3 years, which would’ve included 2015 for CPJ, I would argue Collins winning 5 games this year really wouldn’t be that much worse than Paul Johnson’s 2015-17 3 year stint. In 2015 we were expected to go bowling again and only won 3 games. In 2020, we were expected to win 1 game and won 3. 2016 undeniably saved Paul Johnson from the hot seat, but Collins’ performance vs win projections would be about on par with CPJs over this period if only for the odd variability of this period, which I will concede I didn’t select randomly.

The question is how many games would CPJ have had to lose in 2017 to be fired. I’d only assume it would have to be all but one or two. I’m of the opinion Collins should be fired if he only wins 4, which CPJ probably wouldn’t have been fired for, but I think there’s plenty of room for discussion about whether or not to fire Collins for only 5 wins.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
WCU - W. Maybe
UCF - L. They put up 40
Duke - W. I hope.
FSU - L.
UNC - L

I think UAV is down significantly this year they had lots of super seniors Especially on the O line same with Pitt

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
5 wins with one of them being Clemson, Ole miss, Miami, or uga will keep him here. Almost 100% we just can't lose to uga by more than 30

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I partially agree, if we’re looking at two year stints alone there’s not much I can do to defend last year’s performance, nor do I want to.

However, if we expand the stint to 3 years, which would’ve included 2015 for CPJ, I would argue Collins winning 5 games this year really wouldn’t be that much worse than Paul Johnson’s 2015-17 3 year stint. In 2015 we were expected to go bowling again and only won 3 games. In 2020, we were expected to win 1 game and won 3. 2016 undeniably saved Paul Johnson from the hot seat, but Collins’ performance vs win projections would be about on par with CPJs over this period if only for the odd variability of this period, which I will concede I didn’t select randomly.

The question is how many games would CPJ have had to lose in 2017 to be fired. I’d only assume it would have to be all but one or two. I’m of the opinion Collins should be fired if he only wins 4, which CPJ probably wouldn’t have been fired for, but I think there’s plenty of room for discussion about whether or not to fire Collins for only 5 wins.
There probably isn't a number of games that would have gotten CPJ fired after 2017. He had enough good will built up from the 2014 and 2016 seasons to survive pretty much anything. He actually got an extension after 2017 even after a mediocre year by our former standards. The key theme there is good will. Beat UGA twice, win an Orange Bowl and win 23 games the previous 3 seasons and you get a little more leeway than if you didn't do any of those things and only won 9 games.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am sticking to my original picks:

I went 7+ and it’s not just gold colored glasses. Here we go, take a peek inside my optimism:

Week 1, feels like Weak 1: L

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: W

Week 3, us versus the rebellion: W

Week 4, the Knights bend a knee: W

Week 5, the Pitts: L (OR W and a L next game Week 6)

Week 6, Split with Pitt the devils in the detail: W

Week 7, BYE (This pick you can take to the bank. It is Guaranteed)

Week 8, the horror of The Who’s: W

Week 9, ATL loses its tomahawk: L

Week 10, road woes continue: L

Week 11, no place like home: W

Week 12, UNCheat gets taken to the woodshed: W

Week 13+, shudder, champagne shower and introspection: L

Bowl win gets us to 8 wins!

JacketFan137

Banned
one thing no one is considering in the hypothetical 5-7 season is what coaches are available out there. we had almost zero real interest from coaches last time and collins and whisenhunt were the only real candidates that emerged. i think regardless of what happens we are gonna have our finger on the pulse of the coaching carousel. the question will be whether or not we get interest back

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
one thing no one is considering in the hypothetical 5-7 season is what coaches are available out there. we had almost zero real interest from coaches last time and collins and whisenhunt were the only real candidates that emerged. i think regardless of what happens we are gonna have our finger on the pulse of the coaching carousel. the question will be whether or not we get interest back
I'd bet a dollar or two there have already been some feelers put out there....

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Well, if we get to 8 wins , plus a bowl game, I will be shocked. Deliriously happy, but shocked, and ecstatic to be wrong.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'd bet a dollar or two there have already been some feelers put out there....
yeah i’m sure we have. no one will know for sure at this point but i wonder if we just couldn’t get a guy that made sense at the end of last year and that was why we decided to keep collins*

i would imagine now that we have a roster that has some interesting pieces scattered around on the depth chart wed probably see a little more interest back at us. may make the next search a little more fruitful

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Ah but your argument only works if you cherry pick the exact 3 seasons that work in favor of your argument.

Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way. 5 wins and CGC is gone.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I am sticking to my original picks:

I went 7+ and it’s not just gold colored glasses. Here we go, take a peek inside my optimism:

Week 1, feels like Weak 1: L

Week 2, Mount the Catamounts: W

Week 3, us versus the rebellion: W

Week 4, the Knights bend a knee: W

Week 5, the Pitts: L (OR W and a L next game Week 6)

Week 6, Split with Pitt the devils in the detail: W

Week 7, BYE (This pick you can take to the bank. It is Guaranteed)

Week 8, the horror of The Who’s: W

Week 9, ATL loses its tomahawk: L

Week 10, road woes continue: L

Week 11, no place like home: W

Week 12, UNCheat gets taken to the woodshed: W

Week 13+, shudder, champagne shower and introspection: L

Bowl win gets us to 8 wins!
Would love to see this!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
WCU - W. Maybe
UCF - L. They put up 40
Duke - W. I hope.
FSU - L.
UNC - L

What is this based on other than CGC hate?

You say stuff like Armstrong is going to have a field day but he’s behind an OL that lost its top six linemen from last season, four transferred, and two graduated. OL returns 2 starts

Pitt is a double-digit loss after losing its 1st rd QB & top WR

L for teams that we have beaten that has gotten significantly worse or in the same boat as us?

Ole Miss lost just as much production as us and they’ll put up 50?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What is this based on other than CGC hate?

You say stuff like Armstrong is going to have a field day but he’s behind an OL that lost its top six linemen from last season, four transferred, and two graduated. OL returns 2 starts

Pitt is a double-digit loss after losing its 1st rd QB & top WR

L for teams that we have beaten that has gotten significantly worse or in the same boat as us?

Ole Miss lost just as much production as us and they’ll put up 50?
It’s because its not about them. It’s about us. Pittsburgh’s 3rd string QB would have smoked us the past 2 years. They know how to coach QB’s at Pitt. We have a 3rd year starter and we have no clue how he’ll perform. We know whoever Pitt uses at QB will be capable because they know how to prepare. And Armstrong is a stud. He would have won 6 games last year even if he had our OLine because the guy just makes plays. And UVA will have an OLine because they know what they are doing. And Ole Miss will smoke our defense because that’s what Kiffen does to low level defenses. Dart, like most QB’s, will set all his personal records against us. We’ve seen this 3 straight seasons and we are in worse shape now after 3 years of a rebuild. We know nothing about our QB, our OLine will be mostly new faces, and our defense (outside of Thomas) is a big question mark. 3 years and we are sitting at square one with proven coaches coming at us fast.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think UAV is down significantly this year they had lots of super seniors Especially on the O line same with Pitt
Unless they changed their minds from when this article appeared, Pittsburg's entire starting offensive line returns this year: