Help Me on our D

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think you misinterpreted the term "realizing" in my post. I'm using it to mean he's finally getting what he's always wanted or thought he could get when he took the job. You're reasons for our current success are spot on.
Yes, misinterpretation corrected.
All of this makes me so grateful (one more time for the 100th time) that CPJ spent so much time lobbying the administration the last several years to give him some help with recruiting assistants and staff.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you misinterpreted the term "realizing" in my post. I'm using it to mean he's finally getting what he's always wanted or thought he could get when he took the job. You're reasons for our current success are spot on.

I also have to wonder if he's recently put more emphasis on the intangible side of the ledger. We don't seem to be taking as many chances with "risky" kids. I don't see any Myles Autries in the last class.

realizing like realizing the intent, or the hope as in proliferating...got it...vs realizing like it dawned on him.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
personally, I think paul always knew that. I think the difference between now and 2010 recruiting is who is around him that is better:

- Sewak is actually recruiting
- Pelton is new and good
- Roof who knows GT, is new and good
- 3 dedicated recruiting staff of ex players like Joe

All of that is a BIG shift for Paul. To me Paul is the same....its what is around him that is WAY better to recruit to this school

I also think the HC recruits almost zero....NCAA law practically guarantees it. That is why who is around him is so much more important. Clearly the head coach gets too much credit for recruiting and too much blame for lack of....but the head man...the buck stops there...he is a big boy and paid for it.
The head coach recruits almost zero?...see Urban Meyer see Nick Saban....heck see Malzahn or even Dabo

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The head coach recruits almost zero?...see Urban Meyer see Nick Saban....heck see Malzahn or even Dabo
What he means is they're not on the trail beating the bushes like the assistants. However, the head coach's reputation carries a ton of cache with recruits, he doesn't have to "beat the bushes" to be a very powerful influence.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

A HC doesnt actively go out and recruit much. When compared to the activity of the assts its almost nil. The NCAA limits head coach contact. He does recruit when a kid is at the school like every head coach. But if you think a guy like saban or urban recruits more tha johnson u are way wrong. They put in the same effort. What helps them on top of being charasmatic is their school and their reputation and great assistants

But ncaa head coaches all put in about the same effort. Some connect better with kids than others. Some have results and reputations so good they almost dont have to recruit

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
A HC doesnt actively go out and recruit much. When compared to the activity of the assts its almost nil. The NCAA limits head coach contact. He does recruit when a kid is at the school like every head coach. But if you think a guy like saban or urban recruits more tha johnson u are way wrong. They put in the same effort. What helps them on top of being charasmatic is their school and their reputation and great assistants

But ncaa head coaches all put in about the same effort. Some connect better with kids than others. Some have results and reputations so good they almost dont have to recruit
Does anyone know who was the last 5 star recruit at Ga Tech?...it was not Calvin

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
personally, I think paul always knew that. I think the difference between now and 2010 recruiting is who is around him that is better:

- Sewak is actually recruiting
- Pelton is new and good
- Roof who knows GT, is new and good
- 3 dedicated recruiting staff of ex players like Joe

All of that is a BIG shift for Paul. To me Paul is the same....its what is around him that is WAY better to recruit to this school

I also think the HC recruits almost zero....NCAA law practically guarantees it. That is why who is around him is so much more important. Clearly the head coach gets too much credit for recruiting and too much blame for lack of....but the head man...the buck stops there...he is a big boy and paid for it.
Can't "plus" this enough. Our investment in resources has paid the biggest dividends IMHO. Paul has leveraged wins into improving the program, not just his bank account, and that should be applauded. Roof has opened us up to kids that wouldn't consider us in the past just based off of his reputation, and Pelton was a huge gift. We have to invest in our staff and program to make ourselves a sustainable contender every year, and we're doing that now.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
Calvin wasn't 5*. Bey Bey was only 3*. I have often thought that this could be a great recruiting line - "We put more 3 and 4 star players in the NFL than anyone else. Imagine what we could do with you."

Back to the OP, if you want faith restored, go back and look at any of Vad Lee's games. This is by no means a knock on him, but just watch the difference in fluidity and speed. The effectiveness of the current offense should not be underestimated.

And also, do you really think you want your D laying wood on your starters and risking injury in the Spring Game? We are already weak at WR, so let's tear a couple ACLs....

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think the lack of five stars at gt is a head coach effort issue, or a head coach issue then ok u win. Our hc sucks.
My quite a defensive response...the question was when was the last 5 star recruit under any coach... A simple question for the group....apparently not an answer that is easily answered...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Chewy
The answer may be be zero, but that doesn't mean any current or past coach hasn't gone after any. Sometimes we're choice #2, that means nothing... Unlike auto racing ;)

Other times you just have to fish for not only those we can catch, but also that have a reasonable chance of surviving school.

With that said, I don't want this to turn into a star rating thread. Regardless it may already be down that path.

Let's get this back to the OP. :)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We never had a 5* recruit actually commit and then sign with us. Calvin was a 4* recruit by both of the major (at that time) recruiting services when he committed. He was re-rated as a 5* later. Tuitt was the only 5* I know that ever committed to GT. We all know how that turned out.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We never had a 5* recruit actually commit and then sign with us. Calvin was a 4* recruit by both of the major (at that time) recruiting services when he committed. He was re-rated as a 5* later. Tuitt was the only 5* I know that ever committed to GT. We all know how that turned out.
What kind of career did he have at ND? I know at one point he was starting but I lost track completely.