Help Me on our D

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87:

Try looking at it this way: If the GT defense can't handle this offensive scheme after seeing it every day 24/7 according to the experts, then think how difficult it really must be to defend for the rest of the NCAA.

Even with two O-Linemen out (and don't forget our starting Center Freddie Burden was playing at Guard all spring with a broken thumb) ; basically a LB/WR being plugged in at B-Back 4 days earlier; and JT on the sidelines, then the only other logical conclusion is that the Yellow Jackets must have a real schematic advantage with CPJ.

The D will be much improved in 2015 and if JHD can even come close to performing like the Aaron Donald kid from Pitt a few years ago, then watch out. As Gtech 50 said, we were sitting out all of the starting LB's.

Keep an eye on Terrell Lewis at LB along with Antonio Simmons at DE this season as they are the two players that I'm expecting will really add to the rotation on defense for Ted Roof this year.
Aaron Donald may be a bit of a stretch. That guy was at DL his whole career. New territory for JHD. I hope he can become equal to Shawn Green, maybe better, but anything other than a downgrade is acceptable.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to be realistic in my expectations for our D. Last year, we all know that our D was very opportunistic, although not very formidable most of the time. (see yds per play given up) Of course, what we all loved about our D last year was their "never give up" attitude, no matter how much the O was moving the ball against them. I believe Ted Roof can continue to create this environment, and that is BIG. We are still undersized in our front 7 generally, and we don't have tremendous depth at either LB or DT. So, I still say we will struggle this year more than most of us would like to see. I do think it is realistic (IF WE STAY HEALTHY) to believe incremental improvements, especially in the pass rush, can happen. I think Jabari is HUGE in this, and it would be pretty awesome if a few true freshman turned out division 1 ready. It will be very difficult for our D to create as many turnovers as we did last year, but we can definitely hope for close to that.

The key, from my standpoint, to whether we have a succesful season like last year or better is if the O can still be as non-turnover centric as we were last year. That will be very hard with all of the new skill players we are plugging in.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
All I ask of our defense is four punts a game. If we live around 11 possessions, and we get a turnover or two, plus four punts, we're going to win. I think this unit can deliver that. The secondary should be very good, but they need help from the pass rush, which I believe we're going to get from Freeman. If Jabari and Gotsis can clog up the middle, the run defense should be improved, too, which should get us to four punts a game.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't worry about the spring game - I'd worry more about the results of last season.

We have a long ways to go. Judging based on the spring game, though, is pointless. We have a ton more practices to go and a few games to get better before ND.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
All I ask of our defense is four punts a game. If we live around 11 possessions, and we get a turnover or two, plus four punts, we're going to win. I think this unit can deliver that. The secondary should be very good, but they need help from the pass rush, which I believe we're going to get from Freeman. If Jabari and Gotsis can clog up the middle, the run defense should be improved, too, which should get us to four punts a game.

Well, that would be an improvement over last year where forced just under 3 punts a game, worst in the FBS. However, given that we defended fewer drives we were #125 of 128 in forcing punts on 28.5% of opposition drives.

We also did force just over two turnovers/game on average, but that's a hard stat to maintain, iiuc. I haven't investigated it myself.

In this stat alone, forcing punts on 50+% of drives is top 15, 45+% is top 45, 40+% is top 75. I'd be happy if we could get past that 45% mark.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't worry about the spring game - I'd worry more about the results of last season.

We have a long ways to go. Judging based on the spring game, though, is pointless. We have a ton more practices to go and a few games to get better before ND.

I hear you. I guess I reacted to the Spring game because it seemed to show the same busted coverage and open receivers as last year's games.

IIrc, @Leonard Larramore warned us two years ago that our DBs were not being taught proper coverage technique. I may have been wrong for finding that so hard to believe.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you. I guess I reacted to the Spring game because it seemed to show the same busted coverage and open receivers as last year's games.

IIrc, @Leonard Larramore warned us two years ago that our DBs were not being taught proper coverage technique. I may have been wrong for finding that so hard to believe.

Couple of things stand out to me. One is that I don't think we have any truly great DBs. Some, particularly White, strike me as good. To me the issue is, when they go up against an elite level WR they can't possibly prevent all separation. So while they may be able to cover a guy for 3-5 seconds, because our DL wasn't getting pressure last year, the WRs had more time to get open and eventually did so. If the QB pressure increases so will the perceived strength of our DBs.

Two is really not to worry about the spring game. It seems to me more like spring training. Guys lower on the depth chart get a lot more reps than they do when the season starts. Its hard for me to analyze in a vacuum months after the spring game and remember any specifics. The blown coverage could have been caused by any number of reasons, including that we simply called the wrong play (there likely isn't a ton of thought going into play calling, unlike during the season where we spend all week coming up with a specific game plan). We really need to see our guys and how they do in a real game situation to tell how we are coming together.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

If our db's are taught poor pass defense technique, then our lb's aren't taught anything.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Hi Fam

I am excited about our guys and I hoping we have a great season. My statement about the DB's in no way was intended to belittle the DB coach I just saw some techniques. This was also pointed out by some of GT former DB's. I think the communication needs to be better while they are on the field.

DJ is the most solid corner. Chris is good also. He needs to work on his tackling. I would love to see Lynn and Golden/Demond at safety. While In the Nickel, it would be great to see White, Smith, Milton, Golden, and Griffin (Nicklel) Just my thoughts.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OK, I had decided that we were going to make a great turn around on D this year.

As a stat guy, I hadn't seen it, but we had JHD and KW becoming eligible. We had other guys with an off season to add to their experience. We have an experienced secondary. I thought, "We're going to surprise folk."

Then someone asked about LB depth, and I went back and looked at our T-Day game. Not only did we move the ball with our base, receivers were wide open, A-backs on the wheel, Abacks and WRs on the post, Bbacks on the screen. If anyone other than Summers, Jeaune and Allen could catch, ugly.

Reasons to restore my optmism?
I have my own reservations about the defense, somewhat mitigated if Hunt-Days does qualify, but a spring game is kind of like a bring-a-box-lunch thing, so great performances -- a B back who sparkles -- I pretty much discount. We won't get much of a peek at them in August but that is where and when we will know. So cheer up, buck up, and as did Monty Python, always look on the bright side of life. They were, of course, nailed to crosses at the time, so there is that to consider.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not everyone agrees but I really like the talent and depth we have in the secondary. I'll put ours up against anyone we play. Our success, or lack thereof, rests with the front seven IMO. Lots look promising but it's all unproven till toe meets leather.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Vic is a heat seaking missile. The more I look at this class the more convinced I become. It will be our best yet talent wise. How they come together and gel....? Time will tell.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Vic is a heat seaking missile. The more I look at this class the more convinced I become. It will be our best yet talent wise. How they come together and gel....? Time will tell.
I think that's the best part, they're all high character kids who've bought into all of GT, not just the football part. I think CPJ is finally realizing what he sought when he took the job, Navy level intangibles with BCS level talent.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that's the best part, they're all high character kids who've bought into all of GT, not just the football part. I think CPJ is finally realizing what he sought when he took the job, Navy level intangibles with BCS level talent.

personally, I think paul always knew that. I think the difference between now and 2010 recruiting is who is around him that is better:

- Sewak is actually recruiting
- Pelton is new and good
- Roof who knows GT, is new and good
- 3 dedicated recruiting staff of ex players like Joe

All of that is a BIG shift for Paul. To me Paul is the same....its what is around him that is WAY better to recruit to this school

I also think the HC recruits almost zero....NCAA law practically guarantees it. That is why who is around him is so much more important. Clearly the head coach gets too much credit for recruiting and too much blame for lack of....but the head man...the buck stops there...he is a big boy and paid for it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
personally, I think paul always knew that. I think the difference between now and 2010 recruiting is who is around him that is better:

- Sewak is actually recruiting
- Pelton is new and good
- Roof who knows GT, is new and good
- 3 dedicated recruiting staff of ex players like Joe

All of that is a BIG shift for Paul. To me Paul is the same....its what is around him that is WAY better to recruit to this school
I think you misinterpreted the term "realizing" in my post. I'm using it to mean he's finally getting what he's always wanted or thought he could get when he took the job. You're reasons for our current success are spot on.

I also have to wonder if he's recently put more emphasis on the intangible side of the ledger. We don't seem to be taking as many chances with "risky" kids. I don't see any Myles Autries in the last class.