Hello, ACC

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The Big Ten can have January 1, but maybe the unexpected winner for the rest of the season was the ACC. The conference went only 5-6 in bowl play, and its champion got its doors blown off by Oregon in the Rose Bowl. But from top to bottom, this was a deep, underrated conference in 2014.

Georgia Tech finishes the year sixth in F/+; Clemson's complete destruction of Oklahoma moved the Tigers all the way to ninth; and Florida State still comes in at 10th despite the Oregon loss. The conference boasts the nation's best offense (Georgia Tech) and two of the top six; the best defense (Clemson) and two of the top four; and eight top-35 teams. Its standing is aided by the Pac-12's early underachievement, I think, but second place (in the table above) is still second place.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2015/vn-what-f-tells-us-about-2014

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Amazing how little traction this thread is getting. How in the world do we (the ACC) get the respect of the nation when our own fanbase wont give it?

thwgjacket

Alabama only dropped to 3rd after losing to OSU and their 3rd string QB making his 2nd start but FSU falls to 10 for losing to Oregon? All because of one bad quarter? And sure the SEC East went 5-0 in bowl games against teams that included a team playing with a back-up QB and a team with a final losing record. The best team the SEC East played in a bowl game had 8 wins on the year. But they did go 0-4 vs the ACC the last week of the season, so they have quality losses. To put that in perspective, we played 5 teams this year that won 9 games or more in the regular season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sorry we don't meet your standards. If you promise not to be crotchety for the next month, I promise to respond diligently to every efficiency ratings thread. Deal?
:rolleyes: Lighten up Francis. You obviously got your panties in a wad so let me explain my point. Our fanbase likes to lament the fact that the ACC gets no respect nationally, yet when we have reason to acknowledge some real accomplishment, we respond with crickets chirping.

It seems that most of our own fans buy into the national narrative about our conference so maybe we should just shut the hell up whenever ESPN's talking heads leave us out of the conversion once again.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
The real problem with the ACC's image is consistency. There are enough teams with enough talent that can beat enough good games on a given Saturday - inconsistently.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Amazing how little traction this thread is getting. How in the world do we (the ACC) get the respect of the nation when our own fanbase wont give it?

People care about winning and looking good while doing it. I mean, we could ***** and moan about stats all day but most folks trust the eye test and SECSPN.

It's a sad state of affairs, but as long as my Jackes are hot... not sure if I care either

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
If we would demand an eight team playoff, 5 Champions and 3 at-large it would go a long way to show that the conferences from year to year are pretty even. This would prevent ESPN from force feeding us the SEC as the best conference. They may be the best but let's give everyone an equal chance to prove it. I would really rather have a 16 team tournament like the other divisions and high schools do but the money people wont spread that much wealth if we don't demand it. IMO that gives us a much more true champion. I don't like the idea of six teams either. I mean why should anyone have a bye just because some poll or committee believes they are better than the next guy.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
With 8 teams, sEcSPN would try their darndest to make sure there were 3 - 4 SEC teams in the playoffs each year.

Just look how they stacked the deck to move Mississippi State up to make sure they got into the top 8 and made it to the higher paying Orange Bowl, which pushed Michigan State back to the lower paying Cotton Bowl. That was a HUGE monetary hit for the BIG and boon for the SEC ($18M or so swing for the SEC if I'm not mistaken).

Make no mistake, the SEC media machine works overtime to promote their brand and it pays off when they need it the most. Unless someone can continue to pound the point that they were over-rated for years (looking at the BCS and Bowl PLayoff games they've stunk for 2 years). Another year of SEC failure in the big games and, perhaps, their sheen will begin to fade.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just look how they stacked the deck to move Mississippi State up to make sure they got into the top 8 and made it to the higher paying Orange Bowl, which pushed Michigan State back to the lower paying Cotton Bowl. That was a HUGE monetary hit for the BIG and boon for the SEC ($18M or so swing for the SEC if I'm not mistaken).

Make no mistake, the SEC media machine works overtime to promote their brand and it pays off when they need it the most. Unless someone can continue to pound the point that they were over-rated for years (looking at the BCS and Bowl PLayoff games they've stunk for 2 years). Another year of SEC failure in the big games and, perhaps, their sheen will begin to fade.

It was a trade off for having tOSU jump TCU, bigger BIG payout

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It has to be 5 conference champions and 3 at-large. That way everyone gets at least 1 representative.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It was a trade off for having tOSU jump TCU, bigger BIG payout

Check the numbers; Every Power 5 Conference is guaranteed a certain dollar amount for the new College Bowl Playoff format, and the dollars for all the major Bowls is $5M with the exception of the Orange, which is $27.5M per team. So here's the deal; the only Bowl (this year) that has the big money payout - the Orange- and since GA Tech got slotted for the "payday" Bowl (the Orange) after FSU got chosen for one of the Playoff games, this left one more slot for one more team the Bowl Playoff Team had "highly ranked". All the while, it HAD been Michigan State...UNTIL the final rankings came out and miraculously, Mississippi State jumped them so they would play us in the big money Bowl instead.
  • Power Five (ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12): each conference will receive approximately $50 million, which includes $300,000 for each school’s football team meeting the NCAA’s APR minimum for participation in a bowl game.
  • Each of the four teams selected for a semifinal game will earn $6 million for its conference. There is no additional payout for playing in the championship game (which was also the case under the BCS).
  • Each team selected to play in a “host” bowl will earn $4 million for its conference. In 2014-15, those bowls are the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls.
  • An expense payment of $2 million will be provided for each team for each game (semifinal, national championship, Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowl), paid to the conference.
The figures above do not include revenue from the so-called “contract bowls.” The Big Ten and Pac-12 have a contract with the Rose Bowl for years in which the Rose Bowl is not hosting a semifinal which will provide $80 million for those two conferences to split annually. The SEC and Big XII have a similar contract with the Sugar Bowl for the same amount. However, since both the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are semifinal sites this year, those conferences will not play in those games and receive that revenue this year.

The ACC has a contract with the Orange Bowl for $27.5 million annually, which it will receive this year in addition to revenue earned from the CFP as detailed above. Its opponent each year will be Notre Dame or a team from the SEC or Big Ten, and that team will receive a similar payout.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/...yoff-payoutsrevenue-distribution-for-2014-15/

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO the "money" in division 1 has always kept us from getting a true champion. Every other division has a tournament. They keep telling us it is better this way but its not.the only way to get a true champion is to buck the system instead of continuing to go along. Eventually I believe it Will get to that point but it is hard to fight the"money".