HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Also, the B1G isn't a better conference top to bottom than the ACC.
We can begin with SP+

1. SEC: 14.6 average SP+ (34.7 average offensive SP+, 20.6 average defensive SP+)
2. Big 12: 12.6 average SP+ (36.7 offense, 24.4 defense)
3. Big Ten: 9.1 average SP+ (28.0 offense, 19.0 defense)
4. Pac-12: 6.1 average SP+ (34.6 offense, 28.5 defense)
5. ACC: 2.2 average SP+ (27.5 offense, 25.5 defense)

Second, here are side by side FEI ratings. I don't see how we can possibly say we are top to bottom equal to B1G. Our bottom half might be competitive with their bottom half, but their top half is a head above ours and it isn't close.
B1G RankTeamACC RankTeam
2Mich10FSU
3OSU21Clemson
9PSU26Louisville
16Minn39Wake
17Illinois43Pitt
27Maryland48Duke
31Iowa51Cuse
37Wisconsin52NC State
40Purdue55UNC
60MichSt93GT
72Indiana94UVA
75Nebraska95Miami
88Northwestern100VT
97Rutgers101Boston College

slugboy

Staff member
We can begin with SP+

1. SEC: 14.6 average SP+ (34.7 average offensive SP+, 20.6 average defensive SP+)

Second, here are side by side FEI ratings. I don't see how we can possibly say we are top to bottom equal to B1G. Our bottom half might be competitive with their bottom half, but their top half is a head above ours and it isn't close.
B1G RankTeamACC RankTeam
2Mich10FSU
3OSU21Clemson
9PSU26Louisville
16Minn39Wake
17Illinois43Pitt
27Maryland48Duke
31Iowa51Cuse
37Wisconsin52NC State
40Purdue55UNC
60MichSt93GT
72Indiana94UVA
75Nebraska95Miami
88Northwestern100VT
B12 is GOOOOOOD this year

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No shot lol. Clemson is by far the best ACC team and they would get pummeled by Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

The ACC’s bottom 7 teams are basically the same as the B1G’s, but top to bottom the B1G is waaayyyyy better, especially this year. 7-5 Maryland probably beats everyone in the ACC besides Clemson and FSU
Yeah, just going to have to disagree with you. I'm talking year-in/year-out. Clemson can run with OSU, Michigan is strong this year, but just very good most other years. Penn State and Whisky, eh. Not much past that. ACC would more than hold their own year in/year out. I said top to bottom, so those bottom 7 do count. Not sure if I'd drag ND in there since they do play a majority ACC season, but if I did, that's just that much stronger.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We can begin with SP+

B1G RankTeamACC RankTeam
2Mich10FSU
3OSU21Clemson
9PSU26Louisville
16Minn39Wake
17Illinois43Pitt
27Maryland48Duke
31Iowa51Cuse
37Wisconsin52NC State
40Purdue55UNC
60MichSt93GT
72Indiana94UVA
75Nebraska95Miami
88Northwestern100VT
Don't care. Play them head-to-head and the ACC would hold its own. That's why we lace them up. I'm not talking about 1 year (like this year when the B1G has 2 powerhouse teams and the ACC is down). I don't care about rankings or numbers. They don't play the same teams so the numbers mean nothing and the rankings have always been so subjective as to mean nothing.

It's just my opinion. There's no empirical data to that is going to change my mind and there's no data I can provide to support my supposition.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
“I don’t care about your fancy-schmancy data or numbers. My own uneducated eyes and biases will do the trick”

The ACC is 47-54 against the B1G dating back to 1990. The ACC has a losing head-to-head record to the B1G in every decade dating back to the 90s. The ACC hasn’t had a winning record vs. the B1G since 2016. Since 2000 the ACC only has 4 seasons with a >.500 W% against the B1G, compared to their 12 against us.

Hate to break it to ya man, but you’re just straight up wrong on this one. There’s no way you can slice to make the ACC superior. The only argument you have is national championships, but that kinda negates your whole “top to bottom” angle.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Don't care. Play them head-to-head and the ACC would hold its own. That's why we lace them up. I'm not talking about 1 year (like this year when the B1G has 2 powerhouse teams and the ACC is down). I don't care about rankings or numbers. They don't play the same teams so the numbers mean nothing and the rankings have always been so subjective as to mean nothing.

It's just my opinion. There's no empirical data to that is going to change my mind and there's no data I can provide to support my supposition.
Their top 7 beat our top 7. And then even if the rest are coin flips we lose. This year the ACC is the worst p5 top to bottom and it isnt very close.

Hopefully the bowl eligible teams find a way to salvage some wins.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This is more up to Key and Batt than anybody else (Prime Time, Chadwell, et al.) If these two guys succeed we won't care what the others do or do not in their positions. If, in year 3 or year 4, we are playing in Charlotte on this weekend I imagine that 95% of us will be happy.
Also, fun thing to keep in mind - in year 3 or 4, this team will go up against Deion’s CU Buffaloes. (If Deion is still there at that point).

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It's the same thing as when CPJ had one bad game and the "offense was solved" only for next week us to put up 500+ yards. Chadwell was never my top choice and the overreactions right now seem funny.
I would have been fine if we had hired Chadwell. The last couple of games hasn’t changed my mind. I did not want his defensive coaches. Those two games also did not change my mind about that.

I am very happy to say GT’s Head Coach is Brent Key. I am eager to see what he and his staff and the players accomplish.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think this is the right place for this...

We looked at a LOT better at half-time vs the pups than LSU looks. A lot. Maybe there is something to this whole HCBK thing...
Yes.

Cautionary note is uga didn’t have to show everything they’ve got to beat us and may have been holding back on their play book.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would have been fine if we had hired Chadwell. The last couple of games hasn’t changed my mind. I did not want his defensive coaches. Those two games also did not change my mind about that.

I am very happy to say GT’s Head Coach is Brent Key. I am eager to see what he and his staff and the players accomplish.
I would have been fine with Chadwell, BOB, Deion...lots of fine coaches have been discussed but IMHO Tech ended up with the best one.
The fact that we couldn't afford any of the others doesn't change that for me. I think we lucked out for a change.