HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Key is going to build a solid team of hardass’s that will run through a freaking wall for him. I really wanted Chadwell mainly for his offense but am really happy with this hire. I feel like it is the best move overall to hold our team, boosters and fanbase together as much as possible. Get to recruiting!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It may not send the greatest message, if we're looking at it through the lens of an arms race. And that may be the game we want to play. But doing that would require us to either raise a ton more money to divert to escalating salaries (and not paying down our debt), and that might also make us more beholden to boosters, which would lead to more of the problems we seemingly encountered during this search.
I like to think of it as Money Ball. We aren't g thing to out-spend the factories, so let's be more focused in how we spend.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It may not send the greatest message, if we're looking at it through the lens of an arms race. And that may be the game we want to play. But doing that would require us to either raise a ton more money to divert to escalating salaries (and not paying down our debt), and that might also make us more beholden to boosters, which would lead to more of the problems we seemingly encountered during this search.

IMO, the most important thing for us right now is not keeping up with the arms race - it's to get our athletic department back into the green, so we can sustainably compete in the arms race.

if Key stabilizes the program and gets us to consistent bowl eligibility - which I think he can do, with the right OC - thereby allowing us to sell some tickets and AD Batt to work on righting our financial ship...I'm convinced we'll be in a much better place the next time this whole coaching search thing comes around.

And who knows - Key could be the next Chan Gailey. Or the next George O'Leary. Or the next Bill Curry. All would be better than the current state of the program. And we could do a lot worse than having to worry about other programs coming in to poach our head coach, a la 'Bama.
Yeah, the fan excitement and media attention will die down fairly quickly over a splash contract. In the meantime, we need to dig out of the financial hole instead of making it deeper. If you instead look at our situation strategically and recognize that AD Batt was hired at least partly if not primarily on the strength of his fund-raising abilities, it makes a lot more sense to make a low-risk, relatively low-cost hire that stabilizes the football program and buys us time to get our finances in order. If we ever want to be a real "player" in the current game, this makes more sense.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill Clark would have been the cheapest option. He REALLY wanted this job.
Really? Had no idea he was back in the hunt till his name surfaced here. If that's true, I can't imagine he won't be a candidate for some quality openings. He probably wouldn't be interested, but it would be worth our while to create a spot somewhere for that guy.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
...don't forget the Paul Hewitt special: Auto renewing!

In all seriousness, we have professionals in the building now. GT won't be giving money away like we have a money printing machine anymore.

We will see when the contract goes public. Not holding my breath that we out maneuvered any real lawyers familiar with collegiate contract law….

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
GoJacketsInRaleigh said:
If it was going to be Key, it would be done by now. Unless everyone else says no and we circle back to Key, which could be a blessing in disguise.

You're being facetious right?
Fessing up. I was one of those, and I was wrong.

I never expected this to go past Monday if Key was number 1 from the get-go. So, I suspect #1 didn't work out and we went with #1a.

ADJBatt: "The last few months have been challenging and I think it's fair to say that the past few days have been stressful. <nervous laughter in the audience> But we owed it to the Tech community to conduct a thorough, professional search, and we can't thank the Parker team enough for their contribution. With that said, 'I'm very proud to introduce the man of the hour, Head Coach Brent Key.'"

<generous applause and huzzahs>

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Fessing up. I was one of those, and I was wrong.

I never expected this to go past Monday if Key was number 1 from the get-go. So, I suspect #1 didn't work out and we went with #1a.

ADJBatt: "The last few months have been challenging and I think it's fair to say that the past few days have been stressful. <nervous laughter in the audience> But we owed it to the Tech community to conduct a thorough, professional search, and we can't thank the Parker team enough for their contribution. With that said, 'I'm very proud to introduce the man of the hour, Head Coach Brent Key.'"

<generous applause and huzzahs>
I think we had a list to interview and weren't going to make a decision until all had been interviewed. That finished yesterday and the decision meeting was this morning. After that they called the agent, got an AIP, and started working on final language. It leaked as the final draft was reviewed and about to be signed.

All speculation on my part, but it fits the timing of what we know and how a pro would run the search.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
No vangorder was absolutely horrible. Tyson summers was the "grew up in south georgia watching Georgia Southern play growing up, ra ra ra guy who talked up alot of big game stuff, then put together a staff of people who were hear with hatcher to make some weird air raid option hybrid that could do none of it (reminded me of hatchers pitch it forward year before he went to a gun spread option (auburn) with foster the next year and then summers just absolutely sucked.

Then we fire summers elevate Lundsford who was a southern through and through guy who does a half decent job wins the gig we have a few good seasons then the rails start falling off, in that time we have i think 3 different AD. Lundsford tries to run the fritzkrieg again bringing in bob debasse to be the OC but it just doesn't work after debasse retires again.

And actually they weren't smart enough to jettison van gorder he left to take a job coaching LB for the falcons. Otherwise he'd have had ihis chance to really collins it.

Oh and summers brings bryan cook down from georgia tech then doesn't let him run the flexbone.

You might be right. I still think they'd have canned him after year 2 at least. That guy was a train wreck and then taking a college job only to switch and take Falcons job in same month...guy is a sleezeball.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I was actually referring to Fritz succeeding at Tulane (high academic) versus Chadwell succeeding at Coastal Carolina (less rigorous). I would imagine succeeding at Tulane is more difficult.

I agree with your elitism comment about 85%. There are academic challenges at Tech, but we blow them way out of proportion to help justify why we stink.

AMEN. The only thing holding GT football back are apologists trying to convince us that 6 wins a lowest tier bowl is all GT intangibles will allow. I feel bad for these folks. Too many excuses and not enough desire.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Key is going to build a solid team of hardass’s that will run through a freaking wall for him. I really wanted Chadwell mainly for his offense but am really happy with this hire. I feel like it is the best move overall to hold our team, boosters and fanbase together as much as possible. Get to recruiting!
This is exactly my same feelings. Great day to be a Jacket!