HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We can not close it until we hear from @kg01 on how his prediction streak remains unblemished. This work of creative fiction will most assuredly be a literary masterpiece. ;)

Listen, sometimes great sacrifices have to be made for the sake of the team.

We all knew Key was the choice here but the money down guys were tight with the NIL moola.

As the influential figure we all know I am ...

(Pause for effect)

.... I volunteered to sacrifice the streak to get the attention of the wallets.

So, I guess what I'm tryna say is ...

awkward youre welcome GIF

And .... #Still100%

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Given that USF is paying (reportedly) $5 million per year for Deion, and Nebraska paid over $8 million a year for MattRuhle, and Wisconsin paid Luke Fickell $7.8 million per year (and both of the last two are 7year deals), my guess is that Batt was more financially responsible in his search, and this turned off some agents or coaches.

But that is Batt’s job. Good on him.
It remains to be seen but it is possible 3 or 4 years hence, that at least one of those three schools will be wishing they had not opened the checkbooks so wide and had been prudent enough to say NO to 7 year coaching deals.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
"one of the few delusional GT sidewalk fans. Too dumb to get into Tech." And here, I thought that I was pretty much alone in that category.
Funny. I was a legacy GT, and was offered the President's scholarship. Which was apparently a big thing. And then decided to turn it down in favor of a lucrative English degree from Oglethorpe.

So y'all may have been "too dumb to get into Tech," but I'm guessing you're a lot smarter than me in the long run. :D

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It remains to be seen but it is possible 3 or 4 years hence, that at least one of those three schools will be wishing they had not opened the checkbooks so wide and had been prudent enough to say NO to 7 year coaching deals.
Maybe. Probably actually. But there is something to be said for the programs who are going all out right now. It sends a message to the rest of the college football world that we are committed to being a player here. It builds fan excitement. It keeps the media involved. Im not sure what message we are sending by being ultra frugal and promoting from within from a pretty disastrous program over the last 4 years.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If in fact Key is the guy, I'm happy for him - and happy for us, now that we've got someone who the team and the students believe in, and whom we can all rally behind to give him his fair shot.

It did give me pause to see 100% of the Tulane fans on Reddit thrilled that we had decided to not got with Fritz. I'm remembering how most of the Temple crowd was glad we took CGC off their hands.

That being said, if Key's the guy, he has a high potential based on what he did with injuries and CGC's team this year. I'm excited, and ready for him to put together a staff and get to work!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Probably actually. But there is something to be said for the programs who are going all out right now. It sends a message to the rest of the college football world that we are committed to being a player here. It builds fan excitement. It keeps the media involved. Im not sure what message we are sending by being ultra frugal and promoting from within from a pretty disastrous program over the last 4 years.
That's one way of looking at it but we tried the "big splash" contract and all it did was show how creative we can be in spending other people's money.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It may not send the greatest message, if we're looking at it through the lens of an arms race. And that may be the game we want to play. But doing that would require us to either raise a ton more money to divert to escalating salaries (and not paying down our debt), and that might also make us more beholden to boosters, which would lead to more of the problems we seemingly encountered during this search.

IMO, the most important thing for us right now is not keeping up with the arms race - it's to get our athletic department back into the green, so we can sustainably compete in the arms race.

if Key stabilizes the program and gets us to consistent bowl eligibility - which I think he can do, with the right OC - thereby allowing us to sell some tickets and AD Batt to work on righting our financial ship...I'm convinced we'll be in a much better place the next time this whole coaching search thing comes around.

And who knows - Key could be the next Chan Gailey. Or the next George O'Leary. Or the next Bill Curry. All would be better than the current state of the program. And we could do a lot worse than having to worry about other programs coming in to poach our head coach, a la 'Bama.