HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sooooo, when do we close this thread? Or do we keep going?

Driving The Muppets GIF
We can not close it until we hear from @kg01 on how his prediction streak remains unblemished. This work of creative fiction will most assuredly be a literary masterpiece. ;)

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Wut? He's by far the cheapest option, which certainly mitigates a lot of the risk. He's been coaching football for a long time, and has worked with some all-time greats (and losers). Hopefully he's learned a lot from both camps.

Deion was the riskiest option by far. He was most likely boom or bust. He doesn't have a large buyout which helps but I assume he would have wanted a lot more than what Key is going to get.
I didn't consider Deion an option. You are completely correct that he would be the biggest risk.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
As closely held as everything has been to this point, I seriously doubt we will hear what actually happened. It doesn't do any good for GT to release information, and it doesn't do any good for current HCs to admit they were interested. It doesn't do either side any good to announce what offers were made back and forth if any.

I am typically very skeptical, but I will be even more skeptical of any information that is portrayed as facts about how the search went down.
Assuming we've closed the deal with Key, the ESPN article linked earlier has I think a reasonably plausible explanation of how we got to where we are. They said we (ADBatt) were not willing to offer enough guaranteed $$, which makes sense in light of our financial state and coming on the heels of TFG's ridiculous contract. Once Key's contract becomes public through FOI, we should be able to confirm if he accepted a below-market deal heavy on incentives.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Tech struggled to lure a big outside name because of the school's reluctance to guarantee large portions of the contract, with the amount of guaranteed money a nonstarter for some candidates.
How is it that coaches now want these guarantees and yet... no school has yet to think to ask for guarantees in return?

And it doesn't even have to be some ridiculous "12-0 or get out" type of guarantee either.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Assuming we've closed the deal with Key, the ESPN article linked earlier has I think a reasonably plausible explanation of how we got to where we are. They said we (ADBatt) were not willing to offer enough guaranteed $$, which makes sense in light of our financial state and coming on the heels of TFG's ridiculous contract. Once Key's contract becomes public through FOI, we should be able to confirm if he accepted a below-market deal heavy on incentives.
I posted an outline of the terms on 11/21.

Of course, they were posted much earlier on stingtalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How is it that coaches now want these guarantees and yet... no school has yet to think to ask for guarantees in return?

And it doesn't even have to be some ridiculous "12-0 or get out" type of guarantee either.
Because schools have no leverage over good coaches they want to hire. Imagine Nebraska asking for guarantees from Matt Rhule. He would have been laughing for days.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If I were JBatt, I would do this:

JB: Angel, I've narrowed this down to Coach Key. There were other options, of course, but none got me excited. He really has impressed the hell out of me. What do you think?
AC: You've done your homework, J. I like Brent a lot, and he's been my favorite all along. What do you want to do next?
JB: If you're okay with it, I'll give him a call.
AC: Fine. Make the call. I'll set up the presser. Good work, J.
JB: Thanks, Angel. I appreciate your support. Those $$ boys did their best to scuttle this, but they need to keep their wallets open and their mouths shut.
AC: That's what I want to hear!
FIFY.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Because schools have no leverage over good coaches they want to hire. Imagine Nebraska asking for guarantees from Matt Rhule. He would have been laughing for days.
To add, most salaried job contracts mitigate risk via balancing base salary vs. incentive comp. The extreme case would be some sales jobs that are 100% commission. If the hiring side wants to say you will be terminated for cause if you don't perform (and thus invalidating the remainder of the contract compensation), you won't have many takers.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Something to look for: A bunch of recruit commits coming our way.

I'm sure there were a bunch of recruits that wanted to commit to GT (and Key) but they wanted to make sure the coaching situation is settled.
You trying to give us something to complain about ASAP if it doesn't happen in the next 6 hours? :D

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Something to look for: A bunch of recruit commits coming our way.

I'm sure there were a bunch of recruits that wanted to commit to GT (and Key) but they wanted to make sure the coaching situation is settled.
Wonder if McCollum comes back too. He was very vocal about Key being the coach.